Jasper Fforde's Books: Thursday Next + Other Books discussion

Events & Other Info > Fforde Ffiesta

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura | 6 comments Hi everyone, I'm new to the group and so excited to have found other people who love his books.

So, the reason I started this new topic is because I was trolling through the Jasper Fforde website (and there was a lot of stuff!) and I discovered that there is an actual Jasper Fforde convention held in Swindon called the Fforde Ffiesta. It looked really cool with Swindon tours, costumes, and games (like Name that Fruit!). So, I wanted to ask if anyone here has ever been to one or is thinking of going in the future?

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Laura,

Welcome.

This is generally not a very active group, but we're always happy to see new messages.

That sounds as though it could be a lot of fun. I've been dying for a vacation in the UK. If I ever get there, I would consider coordinating it with this convention.

message 3: by Jen (new)

Jen (jeninseattle) | 18 comments Do we have any members out there that are from the UK? Maybe someone on goodreads has been there. Sounds like an absolute blast!

message 4: by Purple (new)

Purple | 10 comments Oh snap!

I really haven't delved far into his website. Now I am aware of this event I will make a concerted effort to get there next year. May 28-30 to save you looking it up.

There are many reasons to go, chiefly among them quote Audience Participation Performance of Hamlet (Prince of Zombies) unquote.

Hell yeah!

message 5: by Whitny (new)

Whitny (whitnyshields) | 3 comments Laura wrote: "Hi everyone, I'm new to the group and so excited to have found other people who love his books.

So, the reason I started this new topic is because I was trolling through the Jasper Fforde websit..."

I have been to the website too and it looks like so much fun to go to the town. I was so close. My hubby and I went to london and I wanted to go so bad. I would love to see the bill boards and the signs. Some one told us that Swindon was a hole. Crap. We went to Brighton instead. That was pretty awesome though.

message 6: by Whitny (new)

Whitny (whitnyshields) | 3 comments After reading Fforde books I read a bunch of books that were mentioned, quoted or had characters from other books. Like Wuthering Heights, several Dickens books, and others. Were you inspired to read other books too.? When I tell people about Fforde books I tell them they have to read Jane Eyre first.

message 7: by Gill (new)

Gill | 5 comments Hi Laura and everyone else who would like to know more about the Ffiesta, I'm Gill and I do the administration for it. We are a friendly bunch of people, who, like you, read Jasper's books and got together to celebrate them. This will be the third outing for us. Many people return, especially visitors from the USA.We are gearing and getting ready for May. There will be a Legion of Danvers; bus tours of Swindon; Hamlet Prince of Zombies crowd participation; Name that Fruit; Gala Dinner; readings by Jasper and takes place in 1985. There will be a colour theme to tie it in with the new novel Shades of Grey. It is limited to 250. We have our own website www.ffordeffiesta.com If you have any questions please let me know.

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Gill, That's great. I can't wait to read Shades of Grey.

message 9: by Laura (new)

Laura | 6 comments Tickets are on sale! Only £55 for the weekend.

message 10: by Gill (new)

Gill | 5 comments I know it sounds expensive but ticket price includes:

Access to Ffiesta events during the weekend
Ticket
Programme with part two of Hammerfall a short story by Jasper – continued from the Ffestival programme – limited numbers of this are available
Gala Dinner with after dinner musical entertainment by Strontium Goat
Printed Lanyard
Colour coded badge
Merit Card
Shades of Grey Rule Book

message 11: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Gill, It sounds wonderful. I'd be there in a heart beat except for me it would be very expensive because it would involve buying plane tickets and there would be lodging fees, etc. I assume that you're attending and I hope that you have a lot of fun.

message 12: by Gill (new)

Gill | 5 comments Sorry to hear that Lisa, there are other people coming from overseas. Maybe you can come next time

message 13: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Not in my budget, I'm afraid. If I ever am able to travel there (and I do want to do that!) I'll coordinate it so that I can come.

message 14: by Steve (new)

Steve James (steeljam) | 21 comments I have been to the last two Ffiestas in Swindon.
They are small and well formed. There was plenty of time to sit and listen and speak to with Jasper.
If you can make it and afford it you will not be disappointed.

message 15: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks Certainly not in my budget at the moment, I'm afraid.

message 16: by Gill (new)

Gill | 5 comments I wish I had time to sit at the Ffiesta!!!

message 17: by Steve (new)

Steve James (steeljam) | 21 comments Only because you are hopeless at musical chairs 8)

message 18: by Kat (new)

Kat | 1 comments quick question--I'm trying to book a room at the De Vere, and the website says there is a discounted price for Ffiesta attendants, but there is no discount code. How does one book online and get the discount?

message 19: by Helen (new)

Helen (helengl) | 2 comments I got the instructions from Gill after I bought the tickets for Ffiesta. There is no code, you have to call to the hotel reservation centre for the booking and say that you attend Ffiesta.

message 20: by Laura (new)

Laura | 6 comments So, what was it like?

message 21: by Steve (last edited May 14, 2011 11:01AM) (new)

Steve James (steeljam) | 21 comments The Ffiesta was excellent. The venue was great and the staff very tollerant. Lots to things to do but not too many that you didn't have time to relax.
The committee did a good job. Already booked up for next year.

message 22: by Laura (new)

Laura | 6 comments I am so jealous, but I'm glad it went well. Living in Canada does make it a little difficult to get to events in the UK. Maybe one year.

message 23: by Steve (new)

Steve James (steeljam) | 21 comments Here are some photos of previous Ffiestas.

message 24: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Steve wrote: "Here are some photos of previous Ffiestas."

Thanks, Steve!!!

IAmOnlyHereForJasperFforde | 2 comments Booked for 2017 !

message 26: by Renee (new)

Renee (renerd) | 38 comments Mod
Woo hoo!
Here's the site link for those interested...check it out!
http://ffordeffiesta.co.uk/

IAmOnlyHereForJasperFforde | 2 comments Whitny wrote: "Laura wrote: "Hi everyone, I'm new to the group and so excited to have found other people who love his books.

So, the reason I started this new topic is because I was trolling through the Jasper F..."

I don't think that's true at all ! I perfectly enjoyed TEA without having read Jane Eyre, and I really don't think it important.
But it DID inspire me to read Jasper Fforde's favorite books (and am doing so at the moment).

message 28: by Kayleigh (new)

Kayleigh I am all booked for Fforde Ffiesta 2017, looking forward to it, if a little nervous as I've never been before.
Has anyone else here been before? and if so what was it like? if you don't mind sharing

message 29: by Steve (new)

Steve James (steeljam) | 21 comments It is a very comfortable event, insomuch that it is small and very friendly. It isn't like the much larger conventions with a thousand attendees. Jasper and Mari play a big part in the weekend.

The first Ffestival was in 2005 followed by Ffiesta on 2008, 10, 11, 12 13 and 15.
You can see my photos of the events here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/steelja...

One thing you must do is get your hands on a gray wig, black shirt and skirt, or dress. You will then be able to participate in Legion of the Danvers.

message 30: by Renee (new)

Renee (renerd) | 38 comments Mod
Thanks so much for sharing this with all of us, it looks fuuuuuun! Hope you both feel free to share and update here on this awesome event ~ especially for those of us on the wrong side of the pond! :-)

Steve wrote: "It is a very comfortable event, insomuch that it is small and very friendly. It isn't like the much larger conventions with a thousand attendees. Jasper and Mari play a big part in the weekend.

Th..."

message 31: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (TheBibber) | 2 comments Just curious, but was there a Fforde Ffiesta this year?

message 32: by Steve (new)

Steve James (steeljam) | 21 comments No.
They are every 2 years.
Next one in on 25-26 May 2019.
Check out the website - http://www.ffordeffiesta.co.uk/

Jasper Fforde's Books: Thursday Next + Other Books

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Shades of Grey (other topics)