Book Haven discussion

Dead Discussions > Bookmarks

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sasha (new)

Sasha Hi, here I am again :).

Do any of you made bookmarks of special memorabilia? Or other bookmarks which are important to you?

message 2: by Sasha (new)

Sasha I went to a festival last month, and I have some wonderful memories. I'm planning to make a bookmark with the old ticket.

message 3: by Elvia (new)

Elvia (elvb) I wish I was that creative.
I've been known to stick my receipts in as a bookmark. Whenever I go to the library I grab a stack of the ones sitting out because I know I always lose mine!
I've also used: string, post-its, shoelaces, foil, my cellphone (that's only in an emergency and I'm coming back right away lol), envelopes....you get the picture.

message 4: by Sasha (new)

Sasha I'm just going to laminate the thing, no fancy stuff...

Every time I visit the library or a bookstore, I too grab one with me. Just in case I misplace mine (read: forget to take them out of the book in which they stay for months)

message 5: by Sasha (new)

Sasha And toilet paper! I used to use that one a lot. I really need some good bookmarks :')

message 6: by Elvia (new)

Elvia (elvb) lol me too Sasja!! I bought one of those arrow ones that clips to the page. Lost that the same day! LOL I know I've used fast food napkins before....and a spork once.

message 7: by Adrienne (last edited Aug 27, 2009 01:48PM) (new)

Adrienne | 286 comments I've had ,and infact still have, beautiful bookmarks but I never use them! I tend to stick with receipts, shopping lists, ribbon and even leaves. My favourite bookmark was one that belonged to my mom, soft tan leather with the inscription, "here I fell asleep" written in italics in gold ink.

message 8: by Julianna (last edited Aug 27, 2009 05:12PM) (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 654 comments I've never made my own, but I do use bookmarks all the time and don't have a problem with loosing them. I've taken to having to hide them in my desk drawer though, or my daughter will steal them for her books and she will loose them.:-)

message 9: by Arch (new)

Arch  | 867 comments I get my bookmarks from the library. I probably will make my own in the future.

If one of my library bookmarks aren't present. I tend to use a receipt, a envelope holding a bill,etc. - I have even used a lean pocket coupon.

message 10: by Dina (new)

Dina (missdina) My bookstore always gives one bookmark for each book I buy, so I've never had to resort to "creative" ones like some of you have. :) I also bought one of those metal ones that clips to the page a few years ago, but I ended up ditching it because it left dents on the pages and I'm very, very OCD when it comes to keeping my books in perfect shape. Seriously, I could sell any book as new after I read it, if I wanted to.

message 11: by Elvia (new)

Elvia (elvb) Wow...I wish I didn't lose my bookmarks as often as I do. Great job keeping yours!! I'm proud of the fact that I've made thru 5 chapters in Odd Thomas and still have the same bookmark!! lol so sad.

message 12: by Emma (new)

Emma Holtrust (emma_holtrust) | 26 comments I lose ALL my bookmarks, the ones from the store, the special ones, I'm just a mess! So I use whatever I see at the time lol. Papers, candy wraps, pencils,...

message 13: by Elvia (new)

Elvia (elvb) I'm right there with you, Emma. My daughter gave me some one of those bubble gums (the ones with the twist ends). After I stuck the gum in my mouth I used the wrapper as a bookmark so I could put it down. haha

message 14: by Arch (last edited Aug 28, 2009 10:09AM) (new)

Arch  | 867 comments Hey, as long as it can be used as a bookmark - that all that counts, right?

message 15: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 244 comments I don't make my own but now that i think about it... that's a great idea. now the wheels are spinning i could make them as a xmas presents too. take cool pics cut them up and laminate them.
I can generally hold on to mine. I have had the same one for over 10 years believe or not. it has high heel shoes on it and a tassle with another shoe on it. its very girly lol

message 16: by Emma (new)

Emma Holtrust (emma_holtrust) | 26 comments Elvia: Sounds like something I would do!

Arch: Great motto and definately applies to me!

Lauren: That's amazing. 10 years? I could never do it! But it sounds like a really pretty one!

message 17: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 244 comments It has to be about that I had it in highschool and june was 10 years since i been out. im crazy about keeping track of it. it just goes from book to book to book.

message 18: by Emma (new)

Emma Holtrust (emma_holtrust) | 26 comments Lauren wrote: "It has to be about that I had it in highschool and june was 10 years since i been out. im crazy about keeping track of it. it just goes from book to book to book. "

I like the idea of that... One bookmark for all the books, I don't know why though. I'm going to give it a shot too... I'll be gratefull if it lasts one book!

message 19: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 244 comments yeah give it a shot see if it works

message 20: by Elvia (new)

Elvia (elvb) I wish I could save things like that! I'm always losing stuff like that. I'll try and make one...see if that helps me WANT to save it.

message 21: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 244 comments hahah yeah everyone try it. and report back in a week if you still have it...lol

message 22: by Elvia (new)

Elvia (elvb) Oh goodness...I'm such a procrastinator it will take me the week to MAKE it! haha

message 23: by Emma (new)

Emma Holtrust (emma_holtrust) | 26 comments I'm already trying to find a nice one. I'm too picky! I think it will take me a week too haha!

message 24: by Sasha (new)

Sasha I lost another one today. And it was such a useful bookmark, quite small so it could fit in a pocket.

message 25: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 244 comments haha ok we can start it in two weeks

message 26: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 1184 comments I love bookmarks, have a ton of them, often have a hard time finding one when I need one, though. I have a bunch of different styles including the metal crook with a pretty dangly sparkly thing hanging from it, the traditional plasticized ones with the yarn tassels, and my current favorites, little magnets that fold over the page and absolutely can't fall out of the book while it's bouncing around in my messenger bag.

One of my coolest is a floor pass for the National Republican Convention in 2004 that's signed by Mike Gallagher, a radio personality. Of course, that's one of the ones I can't find.

I have an assortment that are tv show and movie tie-ins, including things like Star Wars, Xena: Warrior Princes, Northern Exposure, Beauty and the Beast (Linda Hamilton/Ron Pearlman, the cool one, not the Disney), Doctor Who, and the like.

message 27: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Stroube | 2393 comments Mod
I've never made my own bookmark. To be honest, it never occured to me. However, one of my little cousins made me a little bookmark about a year ago. I won't use it, because I am afraid I'll lose it...

message 28: by Elvia (new)

Elvia (elvb) We finished moving. In the process I found A TON of bookmarks that I snagged from my previous local library. I put them in a box I was moving and guess what...I can't find them now. I am using my library receipt!!

message 29: by Jaimie (new)

Jaimie (jez476) I have a ton of bookmarks but these days I use one bookmark I love for whatever I'm currently reading. It's a thick one, has a fairy on it and a quote that reads, "Reading takes me places I never thought I would go." My husband knows that's my favorite and he likes to tease me by hiding it. :-)

message 30: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) I used to just stick to one bookmark since I was a one-book-at-a-time type of girl. But now being in different clubs I have various books going at the same time so I need more bookmarks to keep up. lol. I have my favorite one with a bead. It has Chinese symbols for happiness, harmony, tranquility and prosperity. I did a bookmark swap here on GR and received one with cute kittens. I have another one with Korean animal art that spells my name and two that GR friends made for me when they sent me books. I cherish all of them. :D

message 31: by Ellen (new)

Ellen WAIT! You can do bookmark swap on GR?!?!
Wow!

Usually I lose my bookmarks- cause I use them for so many books- so instead I rip a part of piece of paper from a random page in my notebook (AKA. School book) and use that. And eventually that gets lost too.

message 32: by Ellen (new)

Ellen Okay, ever since I read this topic I have been a bit.... odd.... because I do not have a cool bookmark.

Google is so handy I found an Australian website dedictaed to bookmarks:

http://www.austbookmarks.com.au/

YAY!! *jump up and down* =D

P.S Do you see what you people do to me? I am jumping up and down (Seriously, I am) because I found a bookmark website in Australia. Talk about addictions.....

Oh well.

message 33: by new_user (new)

new_user LOL. I love when I get a cool bookmark. :D I was thinking about making my own cover too. It would really come in handy on the train. ^^;

message 34: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 1184 comments oooh, covers. I have a fabric bookcover with a grosgrain ribbon marker that I like for standard sized paperbacks, and two of those nylon zipper type (one for paperbacks, one that fits hardbacks and trade paperbacks). I have a booksock, but since it only works for hardbacks, I don't use it very much. I found a crochet pattern years ago but it's too bulky, since it's made out of worsted weight yarn. I might try making one out of sport weight yarn or crochet cotton one of these days ...

message 35: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Stroube | 2393 comments Mod
http://www.bookmatestore.com/

This is a site completely dedicated to accessories to use with books. :)