Book of the month club discussion

His Dark Materials Trilogy > The Golden Compass

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Blarneygod (new)

Blarneygod Since these books are small and go together, we will be reading all three this month... Starting with of course the first in the series, The Golden Compass.

message 2: by Blarneygod (new)

Blarneygod maybe I was being a bit ambitious in saying we should read all three books of this series in one month... But I still say we can do it! :)

message 3: by Blarneygod (new)

Blarneygod This is a very interesting book... It is not a fast read like I thought it would be because there is a lot of detail... but I am enjoying it a lot. I am confused about the setting of the book. What time is this book set in? Also I am a bit confused about the world the author is creating... There is references to places that exist in our reality... but in the book demons and such things are common place. None of this is ever explained... at least not in the first 150 pages. So is this supposed to be the past in our world but with supernatural stuff tossed in?

message 4: by Blarneygod (new)

Blarneygod I finished it!!! This book was really interesting and it picked up the pace after the first part. I really got to like Lyra a lot. She was a very feisty heroine.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Blarneygod wrote: "This is a very interesting book... It is not a fast read like I thought it would be because there is a lot of detail... but I am enjoying it a lot. I am confused about the setting of the book. Wh..."

I feel like it is a slow start too but now that I have gotten started I really feel like things are picking up and I am enjoying the descriptions more.

message 6: by Blarneygod (new)

Blarneygod agreed:)

message 7: by Blarneygod (new)

Blarneygod I really enjoyed this book! It felt like nothing I have ever read before. It started off a bit slow... but set the necessary stage for the rest of the book. Once Lyra went North the book picked up. From there on it seemed like there was one exciting moment after the other.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I think you are right about it being different then anything else. I felt that way too. I didn't really get personally involved in this book. I love the characters but I felt like it was all happening elsewhere. I have gotten about half-way now and am starting to pick up some steam. It is getting much more interesting and I love the gyptians!

message 9: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 18, 2009 09:30PM) (new)

I have only read the first one and have put the others off because I didn't like the ending. I felt like it was sort of a "and it was only a dream" type ending and I just didn't have enough momentum to read the others. I will probably read little bits of it as we read other things. Good thing we don't take quizes or get grades for reading! :)

message 10: by Blarneygod (new)

Blarneygod lol:) I have the third one just sitting on my shelf waiting to be finished... maybe in November I will get to it.