Wild Things: YA Grown-Up discussion

Goodreads' Authors @ WT > Questions for Jennifer Donnelly

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Natalee (new)

Natalee (nataleem00) | 459 comments What draws you towards historical fiction and how much research and preparation goes into it?

message 2: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) In A Northern Light I loved the concept of having a word of the day. How did you come up with the concept? Is it something you practice in real life? Was it difficult incorporating the words into the chapters?

message 3: by Luann (new)

Luann (azbookgal) | 274 comments Your profile here on Goodreads says that you loved to read as a child. Which books were your favorites and how have they influenced your writing?

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) Do you enjoy writing books considered "young adult" better than "adult"?

How do you get inspiration for your characters? They always seem so layered and real, its hard to imagine them not really existing! (Nicholas Soames from Tea Rose, for instance, is one of my favorite characters ever-his story ended up making me literally set the book down and sob!)

message 5: by Emma (new)

Emma  Blue (litlover) | 234 comments Weaver, from your book A Northern Light, is mostly accepted in the community and is able to get into Columbia University. Is this historically accurate?

message 6: by Emma (new)

Emma  Blue (litlover) | 234 comments Where did Mattie come from? She's my second favorite main character ever and I'd love to hear how she appeared!

message 7: by Emily (new)

Emily Was it your intention from the start to write young adult or did your idea and concept fit there better?

Do you plan on remaining in the young adult genre or are you going to branch out?

message 8: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (librarymom23) This looks interesting! Hope everyone has a goodtime. I would be joining you because I have a prior commitment while the discussion is going on.

message 9: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments On your website, you said the literary character you most identify with was Clarice Starling (which I found highly amusing), but I am curious, not which you identify with, but:

If you could be any literary character, who would you be and why?

message 10: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Donnelly | 56 comments hi fiona,

are you there?
JD

message 11: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Donnelly | 56 comments uh oh... am i inthe right place?

message 12: by Emma (new)

Emma  Blue (litlover) | 234 comments Hi Jennifer! I believe you are supposed to go to the live chat section right above this one. Thanks for coming! :D

message 13: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Donnelly | 56 comments am i in the right place now?

message 14: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Donnelly | 56 comments hi Gemma, how do i get tot he live chat section above this one?!

message 15: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments You should be able to click on it.

message 16: by Emma (new)

Emma  Blue (litlover) | 234 comments There should be topic that says Jennifer Donnelly LIVE CHAT. Click on that, or the link Fiona just gave you. :)

message 17: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) See Message 16 above, Jennifer. There is a link there in green print to click on.