The Next Best Book Club discussion

In Honor Of Those Who've Passed > RIP Dominick Dunne -- Any other fans?

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mari Anne (new)

Mari Anne | 35 comments I absolutely loved Dominick Dunne and tried to read everything he's ever written. Is anyone else as sad as I am to hear that he is gone?

Favorite Dunne books/articles you'd care to share?

message 2: by Darcia (new)

Darcia Helle (darciahelle) He was a man of many talents and will be missed by many. I read a couple of his books many years ago. I also enjoyed his show on TruTV.

message 3: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (bellamy22) | 610 comments
What a lovely thread to find this morning ... I loved Mr. Dunne.
He was so funny and intelligent and knew everyone. After his daughter was murdered, he became relentless with exposing crime and criminals, I admired him very much.
Yes, his T.V. show was great.
May he rest in peace.

message 4: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) I didn't have the news on last night or this morning, so I did not hear the news of Dominick Dunn's passing until now. Thank you starting a thread, Mari Anne. I met him at a number of signings over the years. RIP Dominck Dunne.

message 5: by Mary (new)

Mary | 203 comments I enjoyed his books and his writings in Vanity Fair. I admired his tireless dedication to the rights of crime victims, speaking out for those who were not able to do so themselves. Rest in peace Dominick Dunne.

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 437 comments I hadn't heard about Dominick Dunne. I'm so sad. I loved to watch him on TV. I don't think I read any of his books, unless it was years ago.

message 7: by Mari Anne (new)

Mari Anne | 35 comments I am so glad that others appreciate his work and are glad to have this thread. I would have loved to have met him so I am jealous of you Diane. On TV he always seemed so sincere and down to earth. I plan on re-reading many of his books in memory of him.

Petra wants more princes & less frogs to kiss (petra-x) I really liked Dominick Dunne. I thought he was so strong to have turned the terrible tragedy of his daughter's murder into a career that would benefit other families who had a family member murdered. I think his death would have had far more exposure if Edward Kennedy hadn't died at the same time.

message 9: by Mari Anne (new)

Mari Anne | 35 comments I totally agree Petra X. Kennedy was a popular politician but it's sad that D.D. didn't get more press.

message 10: by Joy (new)

Joy Just read that Dominick Dunne died today - I was on vacation and wasn't keeping up with the news I guess. Anyway, I was very sad to read of his passing. I read a lot of his books and watched the show he had on TV for awhile. He'll be missed...

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) I also am a huge Dominick Dunne fan. His passing is really sad. If you keep up with his blog, it is doubly sad since he had been feeling somewhat better and was hoping to be back at Vanity Fair in the next few months.

I think my favorite of his books are A Season in Purgatory and The Two Mrs. Grenvilles. But I try to read everything he writes. His life story is fascinating, and would make a great book itself. The world has lost a truly great person. RIP Dominick, and hopefully you are now reunited with Dominique.

FYI - he was currently finishing a new book that is supposed to come out in September, and I believe he was far enough that they are still planning to release it.

message 12: by Mari Anne (new)

Mari Anne | 35 comments According to Amazon his new book "Too Much Money: A Novel" is scheduled to release on 12/1/09! Can't wait to read it!

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) I went and preordered it so that I wouldn't miss it.

message 14: by Mari Anne (new)

Mari Anne | 35 comments I LOVE that you can do that on Amazon. You can't lose with their price gurantee either.

Petra wants more princes & less frogs to kiss (petra-x) Mari Anne wrote: "I LOVE that you can do that on Amazon. You can't lose with their price gurantee either."

Have you read about Amazon's total 100% domination of all the big book clubs, not just Goodreads, online and their appalling conditions they are demanding in order that their images can continue to be used? If not, there was a discussion on the Goodreads blog http://www.goodreads.com/blog/show/17.... btw Booksamillion offer the same 34% discount as Amazon. I get books from them faster but if you are in the US (I'm not) you would get them fast from everyone anyway.

message 16: by Lindalee (new)

Lindalee Stahlman (lindalees) | 22 comments DD's Season in Purgatory was one of the things that helped keep the Martha Moxley case alive. I believe he consulted with other authors who wrote about the case which led to Michael Skakel being tried and convicted.

Petra wants more princes & less frogs to kiss (petra-x) Lindalee wrote: "DD's Season in Purgatory was one of the things that helped keep the Martha Moxley case alive. I believe he consulted with other authors who wrote about the case which led to Michael Skakel being t..."

I very much admired him for that. Shame he also didn't deal with Mary Jo Kopechne's death.

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) I was also hoping to see a book from him based on the Mendez brothers. He did such a great job with these types of stories.

Mary Ann - Not only pre=ordering and price guarantee, but free shipping, too. Gotta love it.

message 19: by Mari Anne (new)

Mari Anne | 35 comments Wow... with all the glowing reviews of Books-a-million I guess I am going to have to give them a try. I have shopped occasionally at their brick and mortar stores but didn't know they had such a great website. Thanks to everyone for the info!

message 20: by Mary (new)

Mary | 203 comments I agree Petra X. Unfortunately DD's passing was overshadowed by Ted Kennedy's. I'm sure DD would have seen the irony in that.

message 21: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (bellamy22) | 610 comments I watched a Dominick Dunne show last night and it was on the Menendez brothers. Really interesting! Just reminded me of how very good he was at filling in all the details and the backstories, that you never get from the press or other publications.

message 22: by Petra wants more princes & less frogs to kiss (last edited Sep 14, 2009 02:39PM) (new)

Petra wants more princes & less frogs to kiss (petra-x) Mary wrote: "I agree Petra X. Unfortunately DD's passing was overshadowed by Ted Kennedy's. I'm sure DD would have seen the irony in that."

Good point, I am sure he would.

message 23: by Petra wants more princes & less frogs to kiss (last edited Sep 14, 2009 02:44PM) (new)

Petra wants more princes & less frogs to kiss (petra-x) Mari Anne wrote: "Wow... with all the glowing reviews of Books-a-million I guess I am going to have to give them a try. I have shopped occasionally at their brick and mortar stores but didn't know they had such a g..."

Their customer service is second to none. Unlike Amazon who don't publish a phone number, you actually get to speak to a person when you ring them and you can speak to the same person each time if you want so that if you are a regular bookbuyer you actually have someone who asks how you are. I love that personal touch.

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Thanks for the heads up Petra. I always like to have new site to look at. I just compared, and for 3 of the 4 books that I have on pre-order, Amazon is actually cheaper, but then I order weird books, and for the one where Booksamillion is cheaper--- Heck, I'm getting it from them. Every little bit helps.

message 25: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (bellamy22) | 610 comments I'm going to start ordering with them as well. Petra this information has been eye-opening. I had no idea.

message 26: by Epee (new)

Epee (epers) I like Bookdepository.co.uk a lot. They send books throughout the world without postage. Booksamillion, unfortunately, don't send to the UK.

message 27: by Mari Anne (new)

Mari Anne | 35 comments EPEE... Thanks for the tip about Bookdepository.co.uk!! I just went online and ordered the new Stieg Larsson book "The girl who kicked the hornet's nest" It won't be out in the US until May and I got it on Bookdepository for $16 for the paperback with free shipping! SWEET! I am so psyched!

Petra wants more princes & less frogs to kiss (petra-x) I told Epee about Bookdepository.co.uk. I should be an affilliate!

message 29: by Mari Anne (new)

Mari Anne | 35 comments Sorry for the late reply. I've been away in the mountains. No internet. A tiny bit of withdrawal! I just received my book from Bookdepository and I was MORE than pleased. I thought I was getting a paperback, which was more than fine, but I ended up getting the hardback. Yeah Bookdepository! Thanks PetraX and Epee!