Terminalcoffee discussion

Random Queries > Does the Loch Ness Monster Exist?/WWYD (What would Yeti Drink)?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 110 (110 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,5...

I would think they would have found it already, eh?

message 2: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (stephenT) One would think.

message 3: by Dan (new)

Dan Schwent (akagunslinger) RandomAnthony wrote: "http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,5...

I would think they would have found it already, eh?"

Does this mean we're going to cancel the TerminalCoffee beer bash/monster hunt on the shores of Loch Ness?

message 4: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (stephenT) That sounds like a good idea. Only good beer, though, please.

message 5: by Dan (new)

Dan Schwent (akagunslinger) Smithwick's is the beer of choice for monster hunters everywhere.

message 6: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (stephenT) Ah, in that case you're buying! hahahahhahahaa

message 7: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (stephenT) Dan, you read The Lord of Light. That was one of my top favs as a teenager. Seduced me into reading more, that and Little Big.

message 8: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments After about eight beers I'd probably see him.

message 9: by Dan (new)

Dan Schwent (akagunslinger) He probably senses alcohol and only appears when everyone's blood alcohol level is above the legal limit. That way, no one will believe them...

message 10: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (stephenT) Dan, I am sure that is the reason Nessy has been so hard to locate, only the sober truly search for her! One needs to be legally drunk, and somewhere nearby. There is a lake near here, I wonder if it has a monster? Perhaps I should try that.

Dan, you are a genius.

message 11: by Dan (new)

Dan Schwent (akagunslinger) Does anyone else think the Google Earth image is clearly of a boat with trailing wake?

message 12: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (stephenT) Shhhhh, don't spoil our beer party.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I couldn't find Smithwick's, so I brought Leinie's I hope that is alright.

message 14: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Leinie's is way underrated. Wisconsin pride!

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

RandomAnthony wrote: "Leinie's is way underrated. Wisconsin pride!"

There are some tasty ones, this would be a bad year to judge, but have you had there Summer Shandy on a really hot day?

message 16: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (stephenT) I like that too. We can still have our party.

message 17: by Dan (new)

Dan Schwent (akagunslinger) Doesn't the Summer Shandy use lemons in the brewing process?

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Dan wrote: "Doesn't the Summer Shandy use lemons in the brewing process?"

It does, and I thought it would be terrible, but it is actually quite good on a hot day.

message 19: by Dan (new)

Dan Schwent (akagunslinger) It's definitely a refreshing beer. I've liked all the Leinenkugel beers I've had.

message 20: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (stephenT) Me too. Now I'm going to Mass for St. Monica's day. I will return, so don't be saddened by my lack of reply for about an hour or so.

Beer Rules.

message 21: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments yes, it does exist. the Yeti told me

message 22: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (stephenT) I'm back, the Yeti can always be trusted. He and Bigfoot meet once a year in the Bahamas.

message 23: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments My wife loves Summer Shandy...I steal hers when she's not looking.

message 24: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (stephenT) Well, since the Yeti and Bigfoot have entered this conversation, do we know what their beer preferences are? The LAST thing we want to do is piss off those two.

message 25: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments

And I would guess that Bigfoot would drink this:
[image error]

message 26: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (stephenT) But would Yeti? See, this is a complex matter.

message 27: by Heidi (last edited Aug 27, 2009 02:08PM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments RandomAnthony wrote: "I would think they would have found it already, eh?"

They DID! Duh.

:)

message 28: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments I thought Nessie was more of a Guinness gal.

message 29: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (stephenT) I would think the same. So Guinness for Nessie, Bigfoot Ale for Bigfoot...Chhaang? Someone needs to teach me how to include lovely photos in my post.

message 30: by Heidi (last edited Aug 27, 2009 02:57PM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments You can nest the pics inside brackets, like this (open bracket, img src, =, nest web address in quotes like "", closed bracket):

<> img src="webaddresshere" goes inside the brackets like the ones to the left

message 31: by Angie (new)

Angie (angabel) Hey I have some authority here!!

According to Tibetan superstition, the Yeti drinks chang. In fact, he comes down from the mountains specificially to raid villages for chang.

http://returninghomefromexile.wordpre...

I am too lazy to copy/paste what I wrote, so there's the link.

Chang is delicious, by the way, but Tibetans won't drink it if it's not Losar. It's considered very, very, VERY bad.

Also: chang is rice beer. Literally fermented rice. The Lhasa Beer is made of barley and is more like beer, whereas the chang I've had was whiteish and kinda reminded me of kongee, a kind of rice soup. I guess you could say it kinda looks like a milkshake?

There is HUGE controversy over Lhasa Beer being sold in the United States. It is ridiculous and I have somehow managed to embroil myself in the debate, pissing off Tibetan bloggers left and right.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Nessie would NOT drink Guinness, as that is Irish beer, and Nessie is Scottish. All Scots are required to disdain all things Irish. It's the law.

Nessie would drink single malt Scotch, of course. Or, a nice cuppa. ;)

message 33: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I have never heard of chang. Now I want some.

message 34: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (stephenT) I wanna try chang too. And Jackie, whom has the ability to fly, Nessie might drink Guinness, but you are right, she is most likely to drink Lagavulin, which is my favorite single malt.

Angabel? is that last picture one of the Tibetan bloggers who is mad at you? If so, are they conducting magic against you?

message 35: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Angabel - so Chang is a brand AND a type of beer? When my sister came back from Asia she brought me Chang and Beer Lao t-shirts.

message 36: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I thought chang was what the astronauts drank.

message 37: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (stephenT) NO, no, Larry. That's Tang. In other parts of the world they have Poon. Never! Ever! Let the two come together.

message 38: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I used to LOVE tang. I lived on tang and pizza in high school.

I don't even see tang in stores anymore.

Now I want chang and tang.

message 39: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (stephenT) ChangTang, that sounds like a brand name!!!!! We are in business.

message 40: by Angie (new)

Angie (angabel) Stephen: hahaha. This particular blogger can't do anything against me other than post about how I'm a traitor to the Tibetan cause and I keep using straw-man arguments. (That's funny; the blogger says that the American label of Lhasa Beer is yellow with red font because those are the dominant colors in the Chinese flag... but it's green in China, and I went straight to the company to get them to explain their thought process in designing the label and was blown-away by their response and how careful they were not to use any religious symbols on the label, as it's bad to throw those away with other trash and beer bottles end up being thrown away.)

Sarah Pi: I don't know if Chang is a brand. It wouldn't surprise me as many, many companies tend to use the Tibetan cause for their own purposes and it probably translates into something else in other Asian languages. But it is a beer, and a delicious one at that.

You can make chang yourself, although I don't know if they sell the fermentation stuff in the United States. Perhaps around Losar in Indian/Chinese stores, but I'd have to ask. You literally take rice, mix it with this stuff, leave it for a few days, and then drink up! They also use it to make a sort of oatmeal-like food with fruits and nuts that is not alcoholic, and again, very delicious.

How would ChangTang be pronounced? The first time I saw Tang in the States I pronounced it like the Tibetan word for chang... which has a long "a" and "Tang" has a short "a". ChangTang? or Chaaang Taaang? Or Chaaang Tang?

message 41: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (stephenT) Oh my, I think Chaaaang Tang.

message 42: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I always said "Tang" with more of a long "a" sound. Like it rhymes with "rang" or "bang". Which, now that I think about it, probably doesn't help you understand much how I'm saying "Tang".

message 43: by Angie (new)

Angie (angabel) RA: I pronounce Tang like "rang." Chang is pronounced with a longer "a" sound so it rhymes with... "bong." Erm.

message 44: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (stephenT) Or, all Southern like and say "Chong Tong."

message 45: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Tang is tangy.

message 46: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments if you say stuff rhymes with "bong" rather than "song" it possibly reveals what you do with some of your spare time

message 47: by RandomAnthony (last edited Aug 28, 2009 11:48AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments If long "a" sounds like the name of the letter "a", as is the case with long vowels (e.g. the long vowel says its name) then I'm lost as to how "bong" could have a long "a" sound. I'm lost here. But not in a bad way:)

message 48: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Clang! Enough!

message 49: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments the more i talk about bongs the more chance i think there is the Nessie exists

message 50: by Angie (new)

Angie (angabel) Well in the Tibetan language, it is transliterated as an "a". It's an "ahhh" sound. It's more gutteral. All of the Tibetan letters end in the short "a", thus: "ka, kha, kha, nga, ja, cha, chaa, nya..." so the short "a" doesn't really exist. Maybe it's not something in the English language. I don't know; now I'm confused, RA! At least we are not having this discussion about "e" because it, apparently, can be pronounced in 22 different ways in the English language.

We need a linguist to our rescue!

« previous 1 3