I'm Trying to Get a Book Published! discussion

Random/Off-topic > Kindle?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Allie (new)

Allie (pearlrose95) | 1 comments Totally agree!!! I despise kindles!!!

message 2: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ Me too! They just don't feel ... right. I like having BOOKS. :)

message 3: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie I don't really like the Kindle either. My aunt has one, she seems to love it, but I don't really like the idea of reading books electronically. I mean, my mom already gets annoyed with how much time I spend on the computer, imagine what she'd say if every book I read I had to read electronically.

message 4: by Caitlan (new)

Caitlan (lionesserampant) lol ya-they're cool, but i love printed books

message 5: by Kevis (new)

Kevis Hendrickson (kevishendrickson) | 190 comments I love printed books too. But you have to admit, it's a lot more convenient to tote your 1500+ book collection around with you with a Kindle than a knapsack!

message 6: by Caitlan (new)

Caitlan (lionesserampant) uh, ya i guess it is more convenient...lol

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I completely agree! The Kindle really scares me for the future, I feel like it's what the ipod did to CDs. Yeah they still sell CDs but I personally haven't bought a CD since 2001. Bottom line, the Kindle is $300!! and the new bigger DX is $500!! I don't know about you guys but there's no way in hell I'm spending that kind of money for it! I guess people buy it because the books you can buy with your Kindle are so much cheaper, people must feel it's worth it to spend the money on the Kindle because its around the same amount of money they spend on books for about a year. Even then I still think that's ridiculous! I would never spend a fortune on books like that! Don't get me wrong, I read constantly, but people forget there's a magical place filled with tons of books and you can pick which ever one you want...FOR FREE, it's called the library and it's wonderful. Maybe most people think it's an inconvenience, but that inconvenience saves me about fifty bucks a month and that sounds pretty convenient to me!

message 8: by Kevis (last edited Sep 04, 2009 06:42PM) (new)

Kevis Hendrickson (kevishendrickson) | 190 comments Sorry to break it to you, folks. But ereaders are here to stay. Even now, they are currently trying to make it a requirement for students in California to buy their textbooks for ereaders. Regular books aren't ever going to go away. But devices like the Kindle are the future.

Just remember, people used to think books would disappear when T.V. was invented. Judging by the sales of Twilight, Harry Potter, and the Da Vinci Code, I don't think regular books are ever going out of fashion.

And just so you'd know, the Kindle's going to be sold for $249 before the end of the year. Since Barnes and Noble is going to release their ereader very soon, it won't be much longer before the Kindle gets even cheaper than that.

message 9: by I'amber (new)

I'amber (xiamberx) | 113 comments Kevis wrote: "I love printed books too. But you have to admit, it's a lot more convenient to tote your 1500+ book collection around with you with a Kindle than a knapsack! "

Vut what if it was to crash or something making you lose all the ebooks you have saved?

message 10: by Kevis (last edited Sep 05, 2009 07:53AM) (new)

Kevis Hendrickson (kevishendrickson) | 190 comments That's the beauty of technology, Amber. Amazon keeps your books in its electronic database, so even if your Kindle gets lost, stolen, or broken, all of your books remain intact. In fact, when you get another Kindle, it will even remember what page you were reading on all of your books. Cool, huh?

BTW, regarding the price of the Kindle. It really pays for itself. Even though the Kindle is currently 300 bucks, there are over 10,000 free books on the Kindle with another several thousand books for 10 cents or less. When you add the fact that most of the books on Kindle are discounted over 50% off of the paperback versions, there is no question that the Kindle saves you money in the long run.

Granted you can go to the library to check out books for free. But they'll never be yours. On the other hand, once you download a Kindle Book it's yours forever. The only downside to owning a Kindle book is that you can never sell it or give it away like you could with a regular book.

message 11: by Caitlan (new)

Caitlan (lionesserampant) !!!giving away a book???! thats unheard of!!! lol i do it all the time