Wild Things: YA Grown-Up discussion

And Everything Else > Favorite YA Characters

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Natalee (last edited Aug 27, 2009 04:30AM) (new)

Natalee (nataleem00) | 459 comments Who are your favorite YA characters?

message 2: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Jack Sawyer.

message 3: by Misty (last edited Aug 26, 2009 06:03PM) (new)

Misty | 1505 comments Oh, so many.
Anne
Scout from TKAM
the narrator of The Perks of Being a Wallflower (Charlie?)
Bryan from the Hatchet books
Ponyboy (the Outsiders)

In recent things I've read:
Todd from The Knife of Never Letting Go
Junior from The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian
Christopher from The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time
Eff from Thirteenth Child (not trying to start that convo here, I'm just saying I liked her)
Aslaug from Madapple
and Jena and Gogu from Wildwood Dancing.

And yes, I loved Cassandra Mortmain, too.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I loved Bod from The Graveyard Book! He is so unique in his experiences.

message 5: by Sara (new)

Sara (sarakd) I love Alanna from The Song of the Lioness Quartet by Tamora Pierce and Daine from her Immortals Quartet.

message 6: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments Sara wrote: "I love Alanna from The Song of the Lioness Quartet by Tamora Pierce and Daine from her Immortals Quartet.

"

Ooh, I loved her too. Many of those characters, in fact. I loved those books as a kid. I've been meaning to reread them and see if I'd still love them.

message 7: by Ashley (new)

Ashley  (angelashly) | 23 comments Hermoine Granger
Harry Potter
Ron Weasley

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Ahhh the Hogwarts Clan... good pick Ashley

message 9: by Sara (new)

Sara (sarakd) Misty wrote: "Ooh, I loved her too. Many of those characters, in fact. ..."

I re-read them once every few years--I actually just started reading Wild Magic again the other day, and I've found--especially with the Alanna series--that I find new things I love about the books each time I read them.

message 10: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments Ashley (angelashly) wrote: "Hermoine Granger
Harry Potter
Ron Weasley"

My favorite Harry Potter characters are the peripherals: Dumbledore, McGonnagal, Sirius, Hagrid. Even Snape.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I love the twins. They are so awesome in all their jokes and fun times.

message 12: by Leigh (new)

Leigh (leighb) Linda Grace wrote: "I love the twins. They are so awesome in all their jokes and fun times."

I couldn't like the twins. I could see that they were brilliant wizards but omg, so obnoxious!

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Leigh, you know who was obnoxious was Percy! I guess I can see where you are coming from with the twins, but that is probably the reason why their personalities stood out to me. :)

message 14: by Bhumi (new)

Bhumi | 274 comments Linda Grace wrote: "Leigh, you know who was obnoxious was Percy! I guess I can see where you are coming from with the twins, but that is probably the reason why their personalities stood out to me. :) "

Yup, Percy was seriously obnoxious. But I'm glad he changed in the end.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Sorry to go off topic (a little), but I loved Professor Slughorn in the movie, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. His character was very amusing.

message 16: by Sara (new)

Sara (sarakd) Ashley (angelashly) wrote: "Hermoine Granger
Harry Potter
Ron Weasley"

Let's not forget about Snape, Luna Lovegood and Neville Longbottom! They were my favorites from the series.

message 17: by Jennifer W, WT Moderator (new)

Jennifer W | 1289 comments Mod
Hehe, right on Sara, Neville's my fav so far (I've still got books 6 and 7 to go).

I also love Scout, Cassie from Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry, Liesel from The Book Thief and Catniss from The Hunger Games. Such strong tough characters.

message 18: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (librarymom23) Misty wrote: Christopher

Misty I really like Christopher also. The book found a place in my heart and I have read it three times in four years!

message 19: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments Linda Grace wrote: "I love the twins. They are so awesome in all their jokes and fun times."

Oh man, how could I have forgotten the twins? LOVE THEM!

And Curious Incident is incredible, Brenda. I'm not surprised you've read it so much. It's so different and fresh.

message 20: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I didn't really like Curious Incident at all. =\
Lately I've been not liking a lot of books that everyone else really loves. LOL

message 21: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments Becky wrote: "I didn't really like Curious Incident at all. =\
Lately I've been not liking a lot of books that everyone else really loves. LOL"

Oh, well then, sorry Becky, but that means we have to kick you out of the club...

;p

message 22: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) *sigh* AGAIN??? :P

message 23: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Okay my favorite YA characters are:

Cassandra Mortmain (I Capture the Castle
Georgia Nicholson Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging Confessions of Georgia Nicolson
Hermione Granger Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Jack Sawyer The Talisman ( I think that counts)
Tom Fitzgerald The Great Brain

message 24: by Beeeeee (last edited Aug 28, 2009 09:12AM) (new)

Beeeeee I love Howl form Howl's Moving Castle (one of my favourite books), Cat from the Chrestomanci series, Sirius Black and Snape from Harry Potter, Juli from Flipped Jared from Old Magic and Lucas from Lucas.
If I don't like characters in books I'm reluctant to continue reading (althought I nearly always do), so a good character is really important. Plus I love YA so this thread appeared to be made for me!

Haha I'm looking forward to the other answers and I've added loads to my 'to be read' pile already from this thread.

message 25: by Heather (new)

Heather Bree (blackdotbug) I love all this Hermione love. I got the be Hermione one year for halloween (then the next year I was Captain Jack Sparrow).

Some of my favs:
Ged from the Earthsea Cycle
Pi Patel from Life of Pi
Leslie Burke from Bridge to Terabithia
Reynie Muldoon, Sticky Washington, Kate Wetherall, and Constance Contraire from The Mysterious Benedict Society
Cadel Piggott from Evil Genius
Artemis Fowl and Holly Short from The Artemis Fowl Series (those two have a great dynamic)
Maerad from The Books of Pellinor
Mibs form Savvy
Claire and Duke from Horns and Wrinkles
Theodosia Throckmorton from Theodosia and the Serpents of Chaos and Theodosia and the Staff of Osiris
Maddy Smith from Runemarks
and
Rossamünd Bookchild from The Monster Blood Tattoo books Foundling and Lamplighter

message 26: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments Heather wrote: "I love all this Hermione love. I got the be Hermione one year for halloween (then the next year I was Captain Jack Sparrow).

Some of my favs:
Ged from the Earthsea Cycle
Pi Patel from [book:Life..."

Constance from TMBS got on my nerves something awful, though I loved the reveal.
I just started Savvy, and I am already loving it. I LOVE Mibs' narration.

message 27: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (librarymom23) I am enjoying Reynie from "The Mysterious Benedict Society."