Movies We've Just Watched discussion

Incident of the Loch Ness Monster (Werner Herzog)

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate (last edited Mar 11, 2008 11:23PM) (new)

Kate (kay8jay) | 23 comments Hey, guys -- (this will have SPOILERS)

I just saw this thing. Fun to see something "different," but I had trouble with what the heck was going on at some points. Was the whole movie a set-up? I was happier when it was just Zak Penn (the producer) who was tricking everyone, but if the whole darn movie was a hoax, well, I feel hoaxed, which pisses me off (slightly).

I started to watch the thing again with the commentary and they do this thing where it's Herzog and Penn and Herzog walks out in a huff -- it was just getting too silly at that point. I guess there were more Special Features on the other side of the disc, but at that point, I had lost interest.

Did anyone see it? Like it? Theories on its "hoaxes" and why Herzog would want to do a thing like that??

message 2: by Heather (new)

Heather (adorabubbles) | 8 comments i watched *most* of it on tv a few years back. i got so annoyed and bored near the end (last half hour or so?) that i just turned it off. that said, i agreee, it really was fun to watch something so different, and see people all jazzed up about some guy (herzog) who i'd never heard of. as to why for the film...i have a feeling herzog works off a very specialized set of logic.

message 3: by Kate (new)

Kate (kay8jay) | 23 comments Thanks, Heather! I was afraid no one had seen it (I guess the question is, SHOULD anyone see it). You do feel a bit cheated. It reminds me of a doc that came out on the SciFi channel RIGHT before "The Village" came out, you know the M. Night Shama-whatever movie? It was supposed to be this documentary about how he was so weird and difficult but then it turned out the whole thing was a joke. I actually "boycotted" the SciFi channel for a while after that, though cutting it out of my life didn't exactly wildly alter my lifestyle. :)

message 4: by David (new)

David (sfdavide) | 33 comments I need to see it. I am in a film club and we are watching Werner Herzog films this month so I need to see this one. I love his films.

message 5: by Kate (new)

Kate (kay8jay) | 23 comments See, that's the thing, though -- it's not really "his" movie. I think if someone is a die-hard Werner Herzog fan, it might be required-viewing, but otherwise this movie is just a frustrating thing where you're like, "Why are you jerking us around here, guys?"

It's (the Loch Ness movie is) sort of a mockumentary in which Herzog's supposedly directly a "Why Do People Believe in the Loch Ness Monster?" film BUT the ACTUAL film is about the fake (!) conflict that he has with this younger guy who got Herzog to collaborate on the fake Loch Ness monster movie. And then finally you realize the whole thing is a hoax and they've been tricking you the whole time, and I thought Herzog was cooler than that.

Obviously, I've strong feelings about this! I just wanted to let you know that he's more like a character in the film... I don't think he actually directed it.

But I, too, want to see some of his movies! They do refer to some of them, particularly one where his crew had to pull this huge ship over a cliff? Also, it was a myth that he once put a gun to this one guy's head on the set. (!)

St[♥]r Pr!nc:$$ N[♥]wsheen pictures, pictures, pictures ||| ♥ Zin Uru ♥ |||| | 482 comments It is kind of a silly movie, I didn't understand the point t it...it seemed to start out as a fake documentary, got kinda regional and then turned into a disaster flick with a bunch of people getting killed and survivors and everything. Are those researchers East European?