The Dark Mythology discussion

Fae > Awesome Folklore!

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Josh, Major Slacker (new)

Josh | 81 comments Mod
I found an awesome website thats full to the brim with mermaids and old stories of the sea! When you get a chance, visit orkneyjar.com. Its a website concerning the heritage of the Orkney Islands. Once your there, click on the folklore tab, then have fun exploring. If you love magic and the sea I know you will love it!

message 2: by Josh, Major Slacker (last edited Mar 11, 2008 06:55PM) (new)

Josh | 81 comments Mod
If you get a chance, visit orkneyjar.com. It has hundreds of stories about the folklore of the Orkney Islands above Scotland. There are stories of ghosts, whiches, fairies, sea monsters, the Finmen and their mermaid daughters.
Once you are at the opening page, click on the 'folklore tab.' There is a ton of cool stuff to read!
Tell me what you think of what you find.
josh

message 3: by Ceci (new)

Ceci (cecialbiceleste) | 1 comments Thanks Josh!! That sounds absolutely fabulous. I'll go there at once!! :)

message 4: by Ceci (new)

Ceci (cecialbiceleste) | 1 comments That is amazing!!

"And I have heard a hundred times more about mermaids from the lips of Orkney peasants than I have ever saw in books."
Walter Traill Dennison

I have in fact seen a mermaid when I was a child... and I learned to swim almost before I could walk. :)

message 5: by Ceci (new)

Ceci (cecialbiceleste) | 1 comments Thank you Josh!! I loved the site... and well, I have in fact seen a mermaid myself when I was a child, and the world was more magical than it is today... :)

message 6: by Hayley (new)

Hayley | 15 comments http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~vampire/vh... - This give a brief history of all the different Vampire folklore from around the world - the different forms Vampires take in different places is amazing.
I'll have a look at the website once I'm at home - my work computer doesn't always alow access to some sites.

message 7: by Josh, Major Slacker (new)

Josh | 81 comments Mod
Thank you Hayley for adding this wonderful site. I am going to have to go back and look at it more thoroughly when i have some time on my hands.

message 8: by Josh, Major Slacker (new)

Josh | 81 comments Mod
I am glad you liked it. I thought you might. It would be pretty awesome to see a mermaid too.

message 9: by Hayley (new)

Hayley | 15 comments Try reading the Book House of Bones - this is based around the Druid faith - its quite interesting and after I read this I went out and found more information - people today still believe that the stones used in Stonehedge where brought to there current spot by leylines and the power of the druids.

message 10: by Ceci (new)

Ceci (cecialbiceleste) | 1 comments Yeah, it was unforgettable... some people tell me I imagined it, but I like to think it was for real... Sometimes children see better than adults. :)

message 11: by Hayley (new)

Hayley | 15 comments http://www.enctype.de/Daemonen/1litte...

This a dark mythology website I found and the page the link refers to demon's and dark mythology creatures in literture. Its a good site.

message 12: by Josh, Major Slacker (new)

Josh | 81 comments Mod
That is way cool! I haven't been around for the past few days, so I haven't been on here. thank you

message 13: by Hayley (new)

Hayley | 15 comments http://www.angelfire.com/moon/darkcha...

I found another - I'm on my day off and bored though its now coming to the end and I'm back tomorrow.

message 14: by Starr (new)

Starr Josh, great site. I just discovered this thread. I've always loved folklore and mythology. Some of my favorite stories of such come from Ireland, of course. Gotta love a country that values it's storytellers!

message 15: by Josh, Major Slacker (new)

Josh | 81 comments Mod
Yup!

message 16: by Josh, Major Slacker (new)

Josh | 81 comments Mod
Thanx. After I found it, I kind of lived there for a few days. The tales there gave birth to several stories, although I havent written them out yet.

message 17: by Josh, Major Slacker (new)

Josh | 81 comments Mod
I plan to. I never throw anything away. (I mean ideas and stuff I've written, not all the junk in the world)

message 18: by Pamela (last edited Feb 05, 2009 10:17AM) (new)

Pamela | 80 comments Not a website, but a friend of mine has a vampire folklore from around the world and through the centuries in a book that is very complete. Her name is Theresa Bane and her book is Actual Factual Dracula: A Compendium of Vampires. Yes, I bought one and it is very good. Her website is http://www.theresabane.com/ if you want to know more about it.

message 19: by Josh, Major Slacker (new)

Josh | 81 comments Mod
Sweet! Thank you Pamela. I have actualy heard of this book before. It looks great!

message 20: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 80 comments You're welcome.

message 21: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 80 comments It's not you--done it for me too. Something wrong with the site.