College Students! discussion

music, movies, tv, etc. > documentaries

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by jessi (new)

jessi (infinitevantage) | 157 comments Do you guys watch a lot of these? I love documentaries, but there are a lot more I need to see.

I watch a lot of National Geographic and History Channel. I have probably seen just about every Nazi/Hitler/World War 2 documentary ever on there. I also liked Jesus Camp, Who Killed the Electric Car?, and An Inconvenient Truth. AND I like to go to the PBS website periodically to watch Frontline documentaries.

message 2: by Jessie (new)

Jessie (Jessie08) | 128 comments I love a good documentary! I also liked Jesus Camp and Who Killed the Electric Car? And yea Frontline is excellent. I also LOVE anything by Michael Moore, I know he can be quite bias, but I agree with most of his views and his documentaries are just so funny. I recently watched a documentary on PBS about the Kennedy family(before Ted's death even.) It was very interesting.

message 3: by Lynn (new)

Lynn I loooooooooove documentaries!

Some of my favorites:
Jesus Camp
Muskrat Lovely
My Date With Drew
Grey Gardens
Born Into Brothels

etcccc...

message 4: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 4407 comments Mod
Nice! I'm going to have to check some of these out! I'm always looking for good documentaries.

I love Grey Gardens, Fast Food Nation, and many other random ones I've seen on TV.

message 5: by Heather (new)

Heather (andshewontsleep) | 278 comments I'm not too big into documentaries, but my boyfriend loves them so we watch quite a few. If you haven't seen "Man on Wire", I would definitely recommend it.

message 6: by Justine (new)

Justine (paperbackheart) I like documentaries that are about ridiculous things. The last one I watched was 'Ghostride the Whip' and was about the hyphy movement. It was pretty awful. Another bad choice was people making a film about people pretending to live as zombies in Los Angeles, though that falls into the mockumentary category.
I have a bunch in my netflix instant queue that sounded a lot more interesting when I first added them. One is about people who think they are superheroes and another is (I think) a man who keeps himself sick through injections or actually has some kind of schizophrenia or something.

message 7: by jessi (new)

jessi (infinitevantage) | 157 comments A really good mockumentary is called Behind The Mask. You can get it on Netflix.

message 8: by Emily (new)

Emily  O (readingwhilefemale) | 487 comments Planet Earth!!

message 9: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments I love documentaries. I just watched one night before last. The Way of the Samurai Sword. Really interesting, Japanese culture fascinates me.

message 10: by Justine (new)

Justine (paperbackheart) So I just looked and the descriptions I gave for those two documentaries are way wrong. The superhero one is about the people in costumes like in Hollywood trying to make it. The other one is a man with cystic fibrosis or something and he inflicts pain on himself for some reason. I didn't manage to remember the names.

message 11: by Jessie (new)

Jessie (Jessie08) | 128 comments Lynn, I've been meaning to watch Born Into Brothels for sometime now. I hear it's great.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I HIGHLY recommend Please Vote for Me. It's about a Chinese class that holds a democratic election for hall monitor. (P.S. China is a communist country, so you get to see the building blocks of democracy from completely new eyes). It's very good and so interesting watching how these kids who have no clue about politics (especially standard American/Western politics) suddenly turn into mini-politicians in all the best and worse ways!

VERY interesting! :D and available on Netflix instant watch

message 13: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 29, 2009 05:19PM) (new)

Documentaries are great. I love ones by John Pilger. He did 'War on Democracy'. He is an absolutely fantastic journalist. It deals with American foreign policy.

What else....oh, theres this great one about street kids in Brazil. It's called Blown Away Kids. It's horrifying.

This documentary is particularly close to my heart, ye should check it out. It's called 'Greenfields and Gas'. It shows how terrible oil companies are, especially Shell.

message 14: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Justine... I know the superhero one you're talking about! I watched it via Netflix instant too. I actually thought it was a mockumentary (really good mockumentary btw: Best in Show with Christopher Guest). It's totally true though. I was shocked. The previews looked like these people were acting! It was good... sad though.

Jessi - Born Into Brothels is pretty good. But I had higher hopes. It's more like a 50/50 story. 50% is about these kids and their life and the other 50% is about the women teaching photography and her project to get them into school. Still really good though. Just not what I was expecting.

speaking of let down docs - Where in the World is Osama Bin Laden. The book was really good but the movie was so random and didn't seem cohesive at all. I enjoy Morgan Spurlock's work - esp when he's the subject on 30 Days - so I had high hopes for it.

message 15: by jessi (new)

jessi (infinitevantage) | 157 comments Oh, I totally saw Born into Brothels. It wasn't what I was expecting either, but I still enjoyed it.

message 16: by Justine (new)

Justine (paperbackheart) Last night I watched 'American Pimps' (it was actually for a drinking game - drink when a new pimp is introduced, drink when a new ho is introduced, drink every time someone mentions the game, etc). I suppose it was okay as a documentary, but the content was pretty offensive. The other girl and I complained until it was turned off.

message 17: by Silvia (last edited Sep 06, 2009 05:59PM) (new)

Silvia (silverware) | 436 comments I like to watch documentaries from a psychological context. One really good documentary I watched is called Thin. It is about the struggle with Anorexia. Another one is called Hoarders. It's about people that hoard everything.I did watch Jesus Camp as well, which I thought was ridiculously odd and interesting.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I saw Thin, its really good. Disturbing.