Book Buying Addicts Anonymous discussion

Good Buys > Favorite places to shop and other resources

Comments Showing 1-50 of 235 (235 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Joseph (last edited Aug 26, 2009 10:20AM) (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 1864 comments Mod
Recently Looloo introduced Susan who introduced me to a new site for book shopping: http://www.bookdepository.com
I thought it might be nice to start a single thread where we can share more of our favorite places to shop, both online and in-store, as well as other resources for fellow book buyers.

I'm sure everyone knows about these big three, but I thought I would list them anyway:
Amazon http://www.amazon.com
Borders http://www.borders.com
Barnes & Noble http://www.bn.com

I also like to shop at library used book sales.
A good resource for finding these sales is http://www.booksalefinder.com/index.html

One small bookstore I've found is very nice for book signings is Anderson's Bookshop http://www.andersonsbookshop.com/ in Naperville, IL. I recently got Wicked Plants The Weed That Killed Lincoln's Mother and Other Botanical Atrocities signed by both the author and the illustrator there.

Also, if you are possibly going to be in the Chicago area next June, keep an eye out for the Chicago Tribune's annual Printer's Row Lit Fest http://www.chicagotribune.com/about/e... This outdoor festival offers the opportunity to hear authors speak and debate their works. It also features unique booksellers, poetry readings, exhibitors, kids activities, cooking demos, wine tastings, and much more.

One other resource I'd like to share is http://www.stopyourekillingme.com
Stop, You’re Killing Me! is a resource for lovers of mystery, crime, thriller, spy, and suspense books. They list over 2,900 authors, with chronological lists of their books (over 32,000 titles), both series (3,300+) and non-series.

So, any other favorite shopping sites or stores you'd care to share? :-)

message 2: by Lauren (last edited Aug 26, 2009 04:16PM) (new)

Lauren | 106 comments Betterworldbooks.com
Money goes to children literacy programs. Free shipping to the U.S. no matter the spending amount.

I have used them, I got all used books and they were all decent when they arrived.

message 3: by Susan (Suz) (new)

Susan (Suz) (sharney) you two and LooLoo are evil!! :P:P Thanks for putting this thread together Joseph, this is great! But you are not helping my book buying addiction.. :P:P

message 4: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 106 comments lol

message 5: by Joseph (new)

Susan wrote: "you two and LooLoo are evil!! :P:P Thanks for putting this thread together Joseph, this is great! But you are not helping my book buying addiction.. :P:P"

Glad to be of service. ;-)

message 6: by Queen (new)

Queen | 13 comments Hi all. I make out good at used bookstores and booksamillion.com. Dollar stores are good to shop at too.

message 7: by Gaijinmama (last edited Aug 28, 2009 07:27PM) (new)

Gaijinmama | 2 comments I'm ordering from overseas. Amazon Japan is great, even for used and out of print books, and I also adore http://www.abebooks.com. Some of their sellers won't ship internationally , but generally I can get almost any book I want within a week or two. It used to be so much harder to get English books in Japan. Now it is waaaaaaaay too easy!

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I just really shop for books on ebay,Barnes&Noble.com and Amazon. The bbok stores in my area never seem to have what I want:o( I never heard of the bookdepository.com might check that out.

message 9: by Susan (Suz) (new)

Susan (Suz) (sharney) You def need to check out bookdepository Steph!! It's one of the best online book buying websites, IMHO!! Shipping is free no matter whether you buy 1 or 10. Only downside is the books you order don't always ship together. SO I ordered 6 in one order and have received 5 of the 6 in two seperate orders and then 2 in another order a few days later but havne't seen those yet. But all the books were 50% off and free shipping... can't really beat that!

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I will definitely check it out. Free shipping sound great!!! And 50% off!! I have died and gone to book heaven!!lol! Thanks Susan thats really great info :o)

message 11: by Susan (Suz) (new)

Susan (Suz) (sharney) My pleasure Steph! Gotta spread the book buying love ;)

message 12: by Adele (new)

Adele (turtil) | 9 comments ok so i've been asked by joseph to add this link here.
fishpond (http://www.fishpond.com.au/) is a great site for buying books you spend over $50 and get free shipping anywhere in australia but as far as i can tell it may only be availible for australians. i can't tell you much about it as i han't used it yet i've only just signed up to paypal and fishpond.( i have finally been convinced to shop online).
one i can tell you about is http://www.booktopia.com.au/ i've been signed up to them and getting newsletters for a while.i know they ship overseas. i love browsing this site(now i've got pay pal i'll be able to shop too- yay!).
just going back through all the links, i'll be able to shop at those places too!! oooh it's so exciting! how often to you get to do completely new things?

message 13: by LooLoo (new)

LooLoo Hey, great idea Joseph. I wish I could remember who mentioned bookdepository.com in a post several weeks ago. That is how I found out about it and I'd like to give her credit. At 50% off on some books I expected to receive used books so I was pleasantly surprised to get brand new ones.

message 14: by Joseph (last edited Sep 20, 2009 07:43AM) (new)

I must admit, Book Depository is an enabler. I've been hemming and hawing whether to buy Frostbitten in hardcover or to wait for it to come out in paperback. Amazon was offering it for 34% off and today I saw they now have it dropped down to 46% off, but Book Depository is selling it for 50% off! Plus that free shipping, I finally broked down and order it. I'm just too impatient to read it to wait for it come out cheaper in paperback. But half off even a hardcover is pretty darn good, right?

message 15: by LooLoo (new)

LooLoo Joseph wrote: "I must admit, Book Depository is an enabler. I've been hemming and hawing whether to buy Frostbitten in hardcover or to wait for it to come out in paperback. Amazon was offering it..."

It most definitely is an enabler! You got a great deal.

message 16: by Susan (Suz) (new)

Susan (Suz) (sharney) Joseph wrote: "I must admit, Book Depository is an enabler. I've been hemming and hawing whether to buy Frostbitten in hardcover or to wait for it to come out in paperback. Amazon was offering it..."

That's awesome Joseph! So much for your book buying limit for this month ;) Didn't I say you'd end up with about 29 for this month ;) :P

message 17: by Joseph (new)

That's awesome Joseph! So much for your book buying limit for this month ;) Didn't I say you'd end up with about 29 for this month ;) :P
..."

You just might be right, I just grabbed two more from the used book shelf at the library yesterday. That brings me up to 13 new so far. I don't know if even I could pull off another 16 in the next two weeks, though. On second thought though... lol

message 18: by LooLoo (new)

LooLoo Justine wrote: "I only shop at Half Price Books for my treats. I can get twice as much as the full price stores!!"

I got to go to a Half Price Books while in Dallas this spring and loved it. You are so lucky!!! I wish we had one here.

message 19: by Tawnya (new)

Tawnya (AvidMysteryReader) | 2 comments I have to admit, I succumbed to the Borders thing. I got money for my birthday and I spent, $80 of it between Amazon and Borders on new books. Oh my...

message 20: by Susan (Suz) (new)

Susan (Suz) (sharney) I LOVE Half Price Books! We don't have them in Oregon either, closest ones are up on Washington State. Used to frequent them whenever I had to go up to Seattle!

message 21: by Joseph (new)

Bookdepository is very dangerous to a Book Buying Addict, and Amazon isn't much safer. I just ordered six more books from them, and three more from Amazon. I just couldn't resist. Help! lol

message 22: by Susan (Suz) (new)

Susan (Suz) (sharney) LOL @ Joseph! You are killing me! yeah bookdepository is definitely EVIL! So if my count is right you will likely hit 40 books for October right ;)

message 23: by Joseph (last edited Oct 26, 2009 02:08PM) (new)

Susan, well, depends how you look at it. So far this month I've ONLY gotten 31 new books. ;-) Don't know if the 9 I just ordered will arrive in time to count as October purchases, though. Still have a couple days left, so you never know. :-D

message 24: by Susan (Suz) (new)

Susan (Suz) (sharney) LOL Joseph! See but you PURCHASED them in October so it should count no matter when you actually GET them ;) :P

message 25: by Joseph (new)

Hello all. Just wanted to share a new resource I've discovered online. It's called Fantastic Fiction http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/

It provides bibliographies for over 25,000 authors of all sorts of genres: mystery, fantasy, romance, etc.

The site also has information on over 300,000 books. Throughout the site, you can just click on a book to see its cover picture, description and publication details.

I've found it very helpful for keeping up with series.

message 26: by Valorie (new)

Valorie Joseph wrote: "Recently Looloo introduced Susan who introduced me to a new site for book shopping: http://www.bookdepository.com
I thought it might be nice to start a single thread where we can share more of o..."

I've been using Fantastic Fiction for about a year and love it!! I also find some good used books on Half.com

message 27: by Susan (Suz) (new)

Susan (Suz) (sharney) Yes fantasticfiction is an awesome website and I too have been using it for quite awhile! Jospeh I thought I had shared that site with you already... maybe it was in another group :(:(

message 28: by Adele (new)

Adele (turtil) | 9 comments did somebody list ebay? a work colleague introduced me to ebay. i bought 3 books for $6.50(aussie dollars)
i'm so proud of myself oh and i got sookie stackhouse #8(from dead to worse) i just got that for $4.17 with $5 postage. i did my homework and fishpond had it for $16! as soon as payment went through. i did a happy dance. now i've just got to get it in my hot little hands and then i'll be even happier(which will most likley require another happy dance!)

message 29: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah Choat (beckachoat) Borders is by far my favorite real, physical, book store; seems to have a better selection, at least of the stuff I want, than my local Barnes & Noble - plus my B&N is tacked onto a short end of the mall and it's IMPOSSIBLE to park within half a mile. The Half Price Books here also tends not to have much that I'm interested in. And don't even get me started on how pathetic it is that a well-to-do area of the Houston Metroplex doesn't have a single decent used bookstore! (My 15-year-old daughter and I are making semi-serious plans to open one when she finishes school.) Occasionally I'll find something worthwhile at Ross or Big Lots, believe it or not. The last book-buying spree I went on was a few months ago when visiting my mom and brother and hitting the used bookstores and Salvation Army thrift stores in their area.

message 30: by Adele (new)

Adele (turtil) | 9 comments ah thrift stores where would we be without them, i've found some really great books at the salvo's as well as st vinnies. but i have to agree with you rebekah, borders beats everything. im not much of a gift card person but if i give them out they will most likely be from borders! and i hear so much about barnes and noble but they are not in australia :o( they sound so good.

message 31: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sjhorton) | 9 comments I'm a big fan of the local used book store and eBay. Half.com is ok sometimes too. The trick with eBay though is to buy a bunch of books from the same person - that way you can usually get a good shipping discount. I once got 15 books for $.10 and only got charged $6 for shipping and then sold them all to the used book store for about $26. Don't forget yard sales and goodwill either :)

message 32: by Michelle (last edited Dec 07, 2009 05:43AM) (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 510 comments I really like the used bookstore here in Nashville. I just noticed that their prices are creeping up though. Also, thanks to some of you fellow book buying addicts, ebay and bookdepsitory.com have also become two of my favorites.

message 33: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 510 comments Sarah wrote: "I'm a big fan of the local used book store and eBay. Half.com is ok sometimes too. The trick with eBay though is to buy a bunch of books from the same person - that way you can usually get a good..."

So you spent $6 and change and ended up with $26? That's great!! I'll have to try that.

message 34: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (26kathryn) | 42 comments Ooh you people are a bad influence! I'd never even heard of bookdepository.com, now I've just ordered two books and will probably buy more as soon as payday arrives. Interestingly bookdepository's warehouse is less than 20 miles from where I live. Imagine the fun I could have in there!

message 35: by Dennis (new)

Dennis Mostly I buy thru B&N. Don't like to use credit card online, so maintain a balnce on a giftcard. Have found some good used stuff that oculdnt otherwise find. Costco has good prices, but limited inventory. Would love to visit Powells in Portland, about three hours away. The Tacoma Book Center is a used bookstore in Tacoma, Wa that has a huge inventory. Only get in there once or twice a year, but always love it!

message 36: by Susan (Suz) (new)

Susan (Suz) (sharney) hey Dennis! Glad to see another Pacific Northwesterner out here! LOVE Powells! I wish we had a half price books here! I would go every time I went up to Bellevue! i'm down in Beaverton!:)

message 37: by Chrizette (last edited Jan 16, 2010 02:46AM) (new)

Chrizette We buy from Aphrohead.com Their prices are not too bad and they also offer free shipping worldwide. Have never experienced any problems.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Just a heads up. B&N.com has a Buy 2 Get 1 Free sale going on right on on romance paperbacks. If you're a member you can get free shipping on orders of $10 or more, $25 dollars or more if you're not a member. The free shipping is either UPS or USPS, you choose.

message 39: by Arkadia (new)

Arkadia (_arkadia) | 5 comments I know I mentioned this, but I will again for the Aussies here - Aphrohead.com is the place I get ALL my books from, it has free international shipping and the cheapest book prices of any place I found that is available to Australian residents (including bookdepository). I used to shop from Booktopia and Ebay, and have had a look at Fishpond, but Aphrohead is far cheaper in general than any of them and has free shipping. I would caution any Australian against buying from Booktopia at the least, as they charge significantly more than the UK online book stores that ship here for free (Aphrohead and BookDepository).

message 40: by 'Aussie Rick' (new)

'Aussie Rick' (aussierick) Arkadia wrote: "I know I mentioned this, but I will again for the Aussies here - Aphrohead.com is the place I get ALL my books from, it has free international shipping and the cheapest book prices of any place I f..."

Hi Arkadia, thanks for that info. I have recently started buying my books from Bookdepository as I found it considerably cheaper than most places and free P&P. I will check out Aprohead.com, thanks for the heads up.

message 41: by Katie (new)

Katie (shimmerpop) | 22 comments My favorite places are probably Barnes and Noble, Half-Price Books, and Borders, in-store. And, online, ebay and amazon and akadot. :)

message 42: by Megan (new)

Megan Thomas | 1 comments Hi, I am new to the group but I just have to share that I recently discovered Thriftbooks.com
They have free shipping and give $.50 discounts when you order more than one book from the same warehouse.
I also frequent Amazon and the local thrift store for used books.

message 43: by Susan (Suz) (new)

Susan (Suz) (sharney) Oh yeah, thanks for the info Megan!! Definitely going to check it out! And welcome to the group!!

message 44: by Joseph (last edited Feb 11, 2010 03:54PM) (new)

Megan, I don't know whether to thank you or scold you! You're going to help make our addictions worse, which might not really be such a bad thing. lol. That looks like a great site, especially the free shipping.

message 45: by LooLoo (new)

LooLoo Oh cool, a new place to check out. Thanks Meg and welcome to the group.

message 46: by Susan (Suz) (new)

Susan (Suz) (sharney) LOL, it's usually a lot of both Shannon!:):)

message 47: by Susan (Suz) (new)

Susan (Suz) (sharney) Welcome to the club Bluemoon!

message 48: by Tina (new)

Tina | 4 comments Hi All,
I found some treasures at the dollar store! I usually go for art supplies for my son, but I thought I'd check out the books. They don't always have books that would interest me, but I have found some surprises. What's better than a book for $1?

message 49: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (copperandonyx) the best place to go (if you are in or near baltimore, maryland is The Book Thing. free books. it's non-profit. you drop off your old books and take as many books as you like. it's amazing. three separate rooms of shelf after shelf of books.

also the goodwill has random discounts on sections that change by the day and the weekend. once a month (at least here they do it!): fill a cart of books for $20. it used to be $5. i think that's my fault. i literally got a cart full of books.

message 50: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine Harris (dopelb) Joseph wrote: "Recently Looloo introduced Susan who introduced me to a new site for book shopping: http://www.bookdepository.com
I thought it might be nice to start a single thread where we can share more of o..."

I love Better World Books! My library is in partnership with them! Whenever it is possible I buy from them.

« previous 1 3 4 5