Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > What Is ‘Normal’ Eating?

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Félix (last edited Aug 26, 2009 10:07AM) (new)

Félix (habitseven) http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/08...

"Our view of normal eating has changed over the years. For some, it's fast food. For others, it means failed efforts at calorie restriction in an endless cycle of yo-yo dieting.

So what do you think of Ms. Satter’s definitions of normal eating? And how do you define eating normally?"

Well?

message 2: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Please no one quote Michael Pollan.

I tend to eat more smaller meals than big ones. I have to eat breakfast. I don't understand you "skip breakfast" people. I don't eat much late at night.

During the first week of the semester I stress eat a little. I admit it.

message 3: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Yes. And I hate that "plants mostly, not too much" quote. It's stupid.

Now one of you are going to quote him. I know it. It's my fault. I accept it.

message 4: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I guess "normal" for me would be what I do most of the time?

message 5: by Flora (new)

Flora Smith (bookwormflo) I tend to agree with that definition of normal eating. I try to do that, I don't obsess over what I eat. Just try to eat healthy and not overdo it. It doesn't alway happen, especially when it comes to lasagna I'm like Garfield lol. But thats the exception not the rule.

message 6: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17320 comments Mod
I think the last two are very important points of hers:

Normal eating is trusting your body to make up for your mistakes in eating.
Normal eating takes up some of your time and attention, but keeps its place as only one important area of your life.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Part of the secret of a success in Life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside..M.Twain.

message 8: by Her (new)

Her Majesty (hermajesty) | 122 comments moderation?

message 9: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Her wrote: "moderation?
"

Gee ... that's no fun. *yawns*

message 10: by Her (new)

Her Majesty (hermajesty) | 122 comments it's the key to all pretty things in life, I'm telling you

message 11: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I guess it's worth a try, then.

message 12: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments For me normal eating is salty, spicy and much. Then I need something sweet soon after, preferably ice cream

message 13: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24072 comments Mod
Normal is plates piled high, very high with food. Food as far as the eye can see. Food, glorious food! From all the food groups: seeds, legumes, vegetables, chips, candy, ice cream, artificial dyes, coffee, barbeque pork.

message 14: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments That's the trouble with all that dieting. It screws up your whole idea of normal.

message 15: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) deleted user wrote: "

Part of the secret of a success in Life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside..M.Twain."

That's called heartburn.

message 16: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments "deleted member?"

message 17: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Probably Jim. Jim accidentally deleted himself one day.

message 18: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) poof and he was gone.

message 19: by Zen (new)

Zen (zentea) | 515 comments Whatever is at hand! Except for sea urchin sushi. Won't ever touch it again. And no tequila.

Yes, tequila is a food since there have been days where I only drank liquids all day. I think those days are over.... but they may come back in my dotage - just not the same liquids, I bet.

message 20: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Zen is in da house.

message 21: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Larry wrote: "Zen is in da house."

Zen!!!

:D

message 22: by Zen (new)

Zen (zentea) | 515 comments Thanks! I try.... Severin keeps me very busy. He's loads of trouble and running all over the place... literally....

Last week he ran all the way to Colorado - (see here for my bad photoshop): http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/3...

message 23: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Looks like he goes for the pretty ladies.

message 24: by JackieB (new)

JackieB | 49 comments Lobstergirl's diet (message 16) sounds pretty good to me.

message 25: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7069 comments RandomAnthony wrote: "Yes. And I hate that "plants mostly, not too much" quote. It's stupid.

Now one of you are going to quote him. I know it. It's my fault. I accept it."

My allergist tells me the plants thing every time I see him. Damn skinny vegetarian allergist. He's terrified of getting fat.

message 26: by Barb (new)

Barb For me, normal is whatever is quickest and easiest ... which, more often than I care to admit, is take out.

message 27: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6017 comments I'll tell you what's not normal eating: the table of women next to us at the Bone Yard (local BBQ joint) on Saturday night. It looked like Lane Bryant and Jenny Craig had a knife fight over there.

message 28: by Phoenix (new)

Phoenix (phoenixapb) | 1619 comments ^AFLOL^

message 29: by Dr. Detroit (last edited Mar 28, 2011 12:46PM) (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6017 comments It was incredible. I couldn't stop watching them. Can you tell I'm easily entertained?

My wife was getting pissed because I kept nudging her. A few of them got up mid-meal for a cigarette break.

"Gusto" doesn't even come close. I'd love to see them at Red Lobster. They'd probably eat their way through Seasons One, Two and Three of "Deadliest Catch."

message 30: by Lobstergirl, el principe (last edited Oct 15, 2012 07:25PM) (new)

I can tell you this is not normal:

I saw this at my local grocery and was horrified. "Marrowfat processed peas"? What's in there, just smashed peas? I'm frightened.

Omgz they have their own wikipedia entry.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mushy_peas

message 31: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Oh yes, I am Anglo.

message 32: by evie (new)

evie (ecie) | 4253 comments Mum cooked mushy peas when I was growing up.

message 33: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) I absolutely hate mushy peas. *makes yuck face* *shudders a little*

I knew what mushy peas were, but I didn't know that "marrowfat" was the kind of a pea it was made from...until I read LG's article. Sounded like something pretty gross when I saw it on the label. Like they're digging the marrow out of some carcass bones and lobbing some fat in as well. Eewwwwww.

As usual with our enigmatic friend, indicative but not conclusive.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.