Lovers of Saint-Germain discussion

Roger

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Collins (jamie_goodreads) Does it bother anybody else that Roger is a perpetual servant? I haven't read all the books yet, so maybe this is addressed somewhere.

I know that Saint-Germain saved Roger's life. I know that he doesn't force Roger to stay with him, that he calls Roger his "old friend", and he would willingly risk his life for him.

But still. Roger has been running Saint-Germain's bathwater for nearly 2000 years. That's a lot of gratitude.

message 2: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) It does bug me a little. Not a lot because it is quite clear that they are friends, but sometimes I find myself wishing Roger had more of a life.

message 3: by Marsha (new)

Marsha (earthmarsha) | 11 comments Mod
It does seem a rather dreary eternal life, but let's hope that Roger has a private life that doesn't make it into the books. Hopefully he reads, he goes to the theater, he visits museums... but he doesn't go to restaurants. That would be unpleasant for the other diners. But, could he eat steak tartare and sushi?

message 4: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Collins (jamie_goodreads) I seem to remember one reference to a hobby that Roger has, but I can't think of what it was. I do like reading Roger's point of view.

I've only read one of the Olivia books, but while Niklos has taken the role of her servant, he isn't nearly as deferential as Roger.

message 5: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) That's because Niklos and Olivia were lovers at one point, prior to his being a ghoul.

message 6: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Collins (jamie_goodreads) Is Niklos's story told in any of the books? There were only a few references to it in the first Olivia book. I've read Blood Games, where Saint-Germain meets Olivia, and I've read Communion Blood, where Saint-Germain goes to help Niklos claim Olivia's property after her death.

message 7: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) It's not fully told. I think it is mentioned in the second Olivia book. If I'm rembering correctly, and I might not be, Niklos and Olivia were lovers and then he was attacked. It sounded like the Count stepped in because Olivia asked him to.

I do wish Yarbro would do more Olivia books. Olivia is my favorite character, and so much is hinted at that isn't explored. Like the time she had a fling with both a father and a son.

message 8: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Collins (jamie_goodreads) That mention must be in the first Olivia book, because I remember it. They had been lovers, but not often enough for Niklos to become a vampire so Saint-Germain saved him. But there aren't any specifics.

I dearly love Olivia's haranguing letters.