Hard Case Crime discussion

Fake ID - Question with a Spoiler

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kemper (new)

Kemper | 34 comments I read Fake ID recently, and I just thought of something regarding the ending that I've got a question about. So I have to drop a major spoiler to ask the question. If you haven't read and plan to, don't continue reading.
So Tommy stole the Super Bowl money to buy into a horse racing syndicate, and the whole time he was dealing with those guys, I thought it was going to turn out to be a scam. However, it appeared at the end that the syndicate was legit, but that they lost the money when the horse they tried to claim broke it's leg during the race.

When reading, I thought it was just bad luck. However, I've started wondering if the whole thing was a scam after all? Tommy was a moron, and he never saw them put the horses name in for the claiming race. Was it actually a con where they ran some kind of injured horse, acted like they tried to claim him and then just pocketed the money?

I don't know jack about horse racing so I don't know if there's actually some kind of scam that can run by doing this, but the whole deal screamed con to me while Tommy was trying to buy in. Since Tommy was an idiot, was Starr indicating that he had been swindled and didn't realize it? Or was it just a way of blowing Tommy's dreams of being a big shot horse owner?

message 2: by Dan (new)

Dan Schwent (akagunslinger) | 125 comments I wasn't exactly clear about the end either. It's entirely possible the guys scammed Tommy.