Terminalcoffee discussion

Rants / Debates (Serious) > Should This Girl Sail The World?/Sarah 5678 on a Hellbound Train!

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (last edited Aug 26, 2009 06:00AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/...

What do you think?

(That Dutch government...you don't hear about them until they start fightin' with teenage girls...)

message 2: by Dan (last edited Aug 26, 2009 06:03AM) (new)

Dan Schwent (akagunslinger) Not only should she not be allowed to try to sail around the world, she should also send her parents to a psychiatrist for thinking it's a good idea. She's 13!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

13 year olds definitely should not be allowed to do this. I admire the parents faith in their daughter, but sometimes you have to be the parents and say no.

message 4: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments the dad in me says no but the dad in me also admits there were times when my kids were 13 that i would have gladly put them on a long boat trip somewhere

message 5: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Not all 13 year-olds are the same, though, in terms of maturity.

message 6: by Dan (new)

Dan Schwent (akagunslinger) Larry wrote: "Not all 13 year-olds are the same, though, in terms of maturity."

Being mature for her age would be a good justification for taking her to an R-Rated movie, not letting her circumnavigate the globe.

message 7: by RandomAnthony (last edited Aug 26, 2009 08:04AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments When I was thirteen all I wanted to do was kiss Kirsten. I did, eventually, in a cemetery. I guess I also wanted to pass eighth grade and keep playing baseball.

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments When I was thirteen, I started a band called "Hellbound Train". We had one song, also called "Hellbound Train". Our band consisted of three keyboards, one drum machine, and me on electric guitar.

message 9: by RandomAnthony (last edited Aug 26, 2009 08:08AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments What were the lyrics to Hellbound Train?

I sang in a band at thirteen, too. We did Van Halen covers. Oh, we also did Judas Priest's "Living After Midnight".

message 10: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments at thirteen i plugged my record player (with a 1/4" headphone jack) into my Vox guitar amp and played Working Man by RUSH at unbelievable volumes while i constantly re-stacked my amazing beer can collection

message 11: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments Sarah Pi wrote: "When I was thirteen, I started a band called "Hellbound Train". We had one song, also called "Hellbound Train". Our band consisted of three keyboards, one drum machine, and me on electric guitar. "

that is the coolest thing i have read all day

message 12: by Félix (last edited Aug 26, 2009 08:29AM) (new)

Félix (habitseven) I sailed around the world when I was 13. No ... I really didn't. Well ... I cruised around the world on the Internet when I was 13. No ... didn't do that either. Okay ... I discovered Playboy Magazine when I was 13. Yup.

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments RA-
The chorus, obviously, was "I'm on a hellbound train!"
Other than that, I only remember the following line:
"We've set the world on fire with our music and our songs."
To my now-trained eye, that line appears to be both redundant and presumptive.

Please don't use this against me.

message 14: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I love it, SP.

message 15: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments That rocks, Sarah...Larry could have listened to that song while he was perusing adult magazines.

message 16: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments was this predominately a techno-sounding band?

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

RandomAnthony wrote: "That rocks, Sarah...Larry could have listened to that song while he was perusing adult magazines."

And he Probably did....No he didn't

message 18: by Félix (last edited Aug 26, 2009 08:56AM) (new)

Félix (habitseven) That song, much less its author, was years from conception when I was 13.

message 19: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Techno did not exist back then, I don't think. We wanted to be hard rock/metal, but were limited by the fact that nobody has a basement or a drum kit in NYC. I had asked for drums and been refused. Guitar was my second choice.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Your loss was our gain then Sarah.

message 21: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments just thought with the 3 keyboards and drum machine sounds spitting out MIDI patches and you rockin' the guitar (strat copy?) you had a more industrial sound working. although Hellbound Train sounds more like a DK's title or something

message 22: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments My first guitar, actually -- LP Standard copy.

I think the problem here is that you're envisioning a band that sounded good in some way, Kevin. It wasn't so much alternative music as an alternative TO music.

message 23: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) You're too modest, Sarah.

message 24: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments LP equals Les Paul. In case you didn't know.

message 25: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I knew that.

message 26: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I think it meant Les Paul. Unless it didn't.

message 27: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) *RA second guesses himself again*

message 28: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments at that time we all played les paul or strat copies. i had a cool memphis les paul copy in black with a black pickguard and white trim. no one i knew had a real guitar unless an older bro had a fender mustang or something like that

message 29: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Correctamundo, RA. It's black and shiny and weighs about ninety pounds. Also, it never used to stay in tune, and it took me ten years to realize that I should replace the whole tuning mechanism.
New tuning heads=a guitar that stays in tune, but I still don't play it much because of the weight.

message 30: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments did it have a whammy bar? odd for a real LP but some copies had them and the cheaper tremelo mechanisms made it near impossible to keep in tune (especially after dive bombing)

message 31: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments No, just really lousy tuning heads.

My second guitar, which followed closely on the heels of that one, was a giant hollowbody no-name electric that was twice the size of me. THAT one had a whammy bar that, when used, would dramatically break all six strings at once. It made for an excellent finale, but wasn't much use before or after that. :)

message 32: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments
WA-WA-WA-WA-WA POW!

THANK YOU! GOODNIGHT!