The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Report for Duty > I'm new here ^^

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Fiona (new)

Fiona Shen (misyrose) | 4 comments Hi everyone! I'm Fiona ^^ I just started reading mysteries/crime fiction/thrillers recently, but I am now completely in love with them! Well...I haven't got anything else to say, so nice to meet everyone and i hope we all become friends!

message 2: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Welcome Fiona. What have you read?

message 3: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline (brightonreader) | 24 comments Hi, Fiona,
I tend to lurk, rather than post, but welcome to the site.
My favorite genre is British mysteries: P.D. James, Agatha Christie, Charles Todd, and lots more. Do you have any favorite writers?

message 4: by Janice (new)

Janice Wegener | 53 comments Hi Fiona,

Glad you are reading crime fiction they are the best. I may go onto another genre but always go back to mysteries. Have read and re-read all Agatha plus Erle Stanley Garner. Enjoy!!!!

message 5: by Janice (new)

Janice Wegener | 53 comments Yes, I think I read all the Louis Mendoza novels by Dell Shannon. I was justthinking about them and plan go see if local library has any on shelf. Right now I'm into "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo"! Can't put it down.

message 6: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline (brightonreader) | 24 comments Janice wrote: "Yes, I think I read all the Louis Mendoza novels by Dell Shannon. I was justthinking about them and plan go see if local library has any on shelf. Right now I'm into "The Girl With the Dragon Tat..."

Isn't it great! The second one is equally as riveting; and I'm eagerly awaiting his third - and last, which is due out sometime this fall.

message 7: by Janice (new)

Janice Wegener | 53 comments HI, BOOOKS I plan to read after I finish "girl with Dragon etc" Karen White-Learnign to Breathe" also "Memory of Water- Linda Olsson "Sonata for Mariam" if it's as good as Astrid & Veronike I won't be disappointed......Kate Jacobs - "Comfort Food" has anyone read these? I like the authors, look forward to your comments.

message 8: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

Hayes (hayes13) | 2060 comments Mod
Hi Fiona!! I like Dorothy Sayers (dated, but fun), Laurie King, Georges Simenon (another golden moldy, and always fun) and Andrea Camilleri.

message 9: by Fiona (new)

Fiona Shen (misyrose) | 4 comments Hi everyone! Sorry I'm so late in replying, school and homework takes up heaps of my time...

Anyway, I really enjoy Agatha Christie's works! I'm trying to find some books by other authors but I can't find them in my library :(

message 10: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

Donna | 2178 comments Mod
Hi Fiona, I see you are in Australia. Have you read any of the books by Garry Disher? I really enjoy his Hal Challis series which was released in the US and I think there is another series that is only available in Australia.

message 11: by Fiona (new)

Fiona Shen (misyrose) | 4 comments Hey Donna! I haven't read any Garry Disher's books. Are they good?

message 12: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

Donna | 2178 comments Mod
I've read the first 3 of Garry Disher's Hal Challis series. It is a police procedural set in a small coastal town near Melbourne. I enjoyed both the setting and the characters very much.

He did an author event at a bookstore near me here in Virginia and he was a very entertaining speaker. I think the series that is not available in the US is told from the perspective of a bank robber called Wyatt.

message 13: by Fiona (new)

Fiona Shen (misyrose) | 4 comments ahh...I see...sounds very interesting to read! I'll try find the books. Thanks!

message 14: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 557 comments I am reading old posts from the Intros. How is the reading going?

message 15: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5392 comments Mod
Welcome to the group, Fiona. I'm glad you're enjoying mysteries so far. There are so many great writers from so many countries that all add their own twists to the genre. Good luck finding more in your library.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello again. Sorry, I've been away in the Lake District. What have I read? Where do I start! But in terms of crime, I like Val McDermid, RS Downie, Ian Rankin.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Aha! Sorry, wrong Fiona :) Anyway, hello Fiona (from another Fiona).

The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group

unread topics | mark unread

Authors mentioned in this topic

Garry Disher (other topics)