Book Haven discussion

Dead Discussions > The Book Seer

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sasha (new)

Sasha Hi,
Let me introduce The Book Seer. He will see which book you should read next!

Ok, it is a bit artificial. But the thing shows recommendations from different sites. I think it is always worth a try :).

message 2: by stormhawk (last edited Aug 30, 2009 09:45AM) (new)

stormhawk | 1184 comments Where do I find this gadget?

message 3: by Sasha (new)

Sasha Damn, I forget to put the link there Ö My apologies!

http://bookseer.com/

message 4: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 1184 comments Thanks! Very cool, but I think I confused it ... apparently it never heard of the Sari Shop Widow, so I had to try it out with some older books. It seems to harvest recommender information from a variety of sources, including amazon.com. I've read quite a few of the results it handed back to me when I tried it out on Stranger in a Strange Land, and I did actually like them, so I'll have to check out one or more of the possibilities that I haven't read yet.

message 5: by Melissa (new)

Melissa OK - I so should not have done that! I have added four authors and over 20 books to my list, all of which my library does not have. That thing should have a warning label! It's very cool though.

message 6: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 1184 comments This one will introduce you to new authors based on similarity to the one you enter. What's cool about it is that it builds a wordcloud and you can then click on other names in the list.

http://www.literature-map.com/

I found out about it in an article in Real Simple magazine.

message 7: by southpaw285 (new)

southpaw285 Sasja, I love this thing....The Book Seer. It's great! Thanks for sharing the info.

message 8: by southpaw285 (new)

southpaw285 Melissa wrote: "OK - I so should not have done that! I have added four authors and over 20 books to my list, all of which my library does not have. That thing should have a warning label! It's very cool though."

Me too, Melissa. I found all these books to add to my list. Another "dangerous" site. Like I need help to add to my wish list and TBR pile...LOL

message 9: by southpaw285 (new)

southpaw285 stormhawk wrote: "This one will introduce you to new authors based on similarity to the one you enter. What's cool about it is that it builds a wordcloud and you can then click on other names in the list.

http://w..."

This is a great site too, stormhawk. It's really neat.

message 10: by Elvia (new)

Elvia (elvb) I found a book just now when I typed in Uglies...it's call Skinned by Robin Wasserman. Anyone ever heard of it? It sounds really good...

message 11: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Stroube | 2393 comments Mod
I like sites like that! I'm going to have to check it out later... :) Thanks for telling us all about it. :)

message 12: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (ontariogal) | 47 comments Indeed can be dangerous, but great site! Will keep it in mind when my TBR pile gets lower. Trying to keep away until then.