What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Alvin Fernald, Superweasel
This topic is about Alvin Fernald, Superweasel
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA book - kids are ecological superheroes. [s]

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by bup (new) - rated it 5 stars

bup | 84 comments I read this book in the mid-1970's - it's a chapter book. A kid had to do a science project (I think it may have had to be an ecology project), and he and a girl, and maybe one other kid, do all these ecological things around town, leaving the name of his ecological alter-ego 'hero' at each scene.

At the end of the book, the kid realizes he's done a good job, but has no way to tell the teacher what they've done (maybe there was a compelling reason he couldn't blow his cover). But the teacher figured it out, writing his superhero alter-ego name on the blackboard.

Sound familiar to anybody?

message 2: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 141 comments It's not related to Captain Planet in any way, right? ;)

message 3: by bup (new) - rated it 5 stars

bup | 84 comments Right. It's normal kids, and the book existed in the 1970's.

message 4: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 57 comments Do you happen to remember any details of the good deeds they do?

This one is seriously taxing my google skills! Especially since there's a popular series out now called Shredderman which shares some aspects, so it's dominating the results.

message 5: by bup (new) - rated it 5 stars

bup | 84 comments I think at one point they either created a 'dam' that filtered garbage while letting water through, or something similar to that. Something involving dirty water and a creek.

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37566 comments Mod
Bup, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 7: by bup (new) - rated it 5 stars

bup | 84 comments Never found it. Don't have much hope.

message 8: by Ann (new)

Ann | 525 comments You never know.

message 9: by bup (new) - rated it 5 stars

bup | 84 comments True.

message 11: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

We're coming up on the 10-year anniversary of this thread. Maybe we can get it solved by August 25?

message 12: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 15760 comments I'm sure it's Alvin Fernald, Superweasel. I just hope OP comes back to check!

message 13: by bup (new) - rated it 5 stars

bup | 84 comments It very well could be! Now to track a copy down! Thanks, Rainbowheart!

message 14: by bup (new) - rated it 5 stars

bup | 84 comments Yes, that's definitely it. I found a 'Look Inside' feature of the Amazon Kindle edition, and recognized the opening.

Rainbowheart is amazing. This can be moved to solved - barely before this request turned 10. Everybody who isn't Rainbowheart needs to step up their game.

message 15: by Ann (new)

Ann | 525 comments Happy for you! I wonder if this is a new record.

message 16: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 15760 comments Awesome, glad to help!

For anyone who's curious, I searched Worldcat with the keyword "pollution" and limited to juvenile fiction from the '70s, and it came up on the second page of results.

message 17: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Yay.

message 18: by Gary (new)

Gary Hicks | 1 comments I don't know if anyone is still following this thread. My niece recently called it to my attention.

There are a couple of things that you all might be interested in:

- Yes, the description is spot on for Alvin Fernald, Superweasel
- The author was my Dad, Clifford B. Hicks. He died about 9 years ago, having written his final kids book at age 88.
- Amazingly, several of his books are still in print and still sell moderately well. Given that most were written 40-55 years ago, this speaks well of his ability to write great enduring stories. (Yeah, I'm probably a bit prejudiced!).
- Here's the real amazing thing about this forum thread... It was started on my brother's birthday in 2009. The "Hey I found it reply" was posted TEN YEARS LATER on the exact day of the author's 99th birthday (Aug 10, 2019). Weird coincidences!!!

Thank you for bringing the entire Hicks Clan a big smile!!!

message 19: by SamSpayedPI (last edited Aug 16, 2019 11:43AM) (new)

SamSpayedPI | 1589 comments Ann wrote: "Happy for you! I wonder if this is a new record."

Close, but the current oldest solve is just over ten years.

Gary wrote: "It was started on my brother's birthday in 2009. The "Hey I found it reply" was posted TEN YEARS LATER on the exact day of the author's 99th birthday (Aug 10, 2019). Weird coincidences!!!"

What fun! Thanks for letting us know!

message 20: by Ann (new)

Ann | 525 comments SamSpayedPI wrote: "Close, but the current oldest solve is just over ten years."

Thank you, I love knowing random facts like this.

Gary wrote: "Thank you for bringing the entire Hicks Clan a big smile!!!"

Thanks for sharing. It's great that your dad's books have made a lasting impression.

message 21: by bup (new) - rated it 5 stars

bup | 84 comments Clearly this is the best thread ever, but humble person that I am, I can only claim to be an instrument of some cosmic guiding force.

message 22: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

That's very cool, Gary! Thanks for letting us know. Now I have to read those books by Clifford Hicks.

message 23: by Kris (new)

Kris | 32238 comments Mod
Whoa. Cosmic forces indeed.