The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > Can someone help me?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments I have ideas for books to read. However I am starting to doubt that they are the "correct" books. Is it alright to post books here and see if you guys feel that they fit?

message 2: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments What does your list look like? I'm not an expert, but we can maybe narrow it down.

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments What do you mean what does my list look like? I'm confused.

message 4: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments In other words, what books have you chosen for which tasks.

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments I had a plan all listed out but I wanted to start over from that. So for my first question, I was wondering if Chicken Soup for the Mother & Daughter Soul Stories to Warm the Heart and Honor the Relationship would work.

message 6: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments For which task number?

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments Number 1.

message 8: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments It should work fine for that--the word daughter is in the title .

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments Okay, now I just feel stupid...

message 10: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Don't feel stupid. If this is your first Challenge, just choosing the books can seem intimidating. I have found that if I plan maybe the first 8 or 10 books I want to read that by the time I finish them, there are other suggestions on the board that I can use.
The nice thing is that you can read the tasks in any order you want to. I try to read a couple short books for the 5 point tasks and then tackle a 25 pointer so I have more points to record.

message 11: by Donna Jo (last edited Aug 25, 2009 06:58PM) (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments The other suggestion is, depending on what task you have a question about, to go to that task question on the board. If there isn't a thread about it, feel free to use the general question board . The main thing is to have fun with it.

message 12: by Alice (new)

Alice (aliceg) | 429 comments Sarah how about posting your list on the challenge plans thread. if you also put a note on it to say you would like it if someone would check that they were ok i'm sure people will be more than happy to help!

message 13: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) {{{SARAH}}} Don't feel stupid, my first time here, and I KNOW I have asked a lot of questions : )

I start a thread for whatever task I need to ask for, also if you put in the plan thread( your list) others can see it and you can get ideas from there.

message 14: by Bluemoon (new)

Bluemoon (bluemoon286) | 1839 comments This is my first challenge also. I felt a little intimidated also. But I looked at the books that I have on my shelf at home and fit in as many as I could. Then I looked at other peoples plans and stole some ideas from them. I found a few books that fit as I was wandering through the library and the rest just by searching. There is plenty of help on the boards as well. I was surprised that I filled out most of my list already. Good luck to you!!!

message 15: by Candace (new)

Candace (candacerenee) Definitely don't worry about feeling intimidated, its happened to all of us at some point :). And don't worry about asking questions or for book recommendations either. I do it all the time!

message 16: by Petra (new)

Petra Choosing the books is the hardest part of the task. I'm finding this Challenge to be harder than the Summer Challenge, for some reason. What you don't want to do is read a book first, only to find out it doesn't fit the Task.
Sarah, as suggested, post your tentative list under the Plans section and we can have a look. Also, in your Profile, there's a section on "Your Writing". You can start a List there (that's where mine is). It makes it easy for others to see and for you to keep track of it. It was suggested in the Summer Challenge and I found it to be a great help.

message 17: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Petra wrote: "Choosing the books is the hardest part of the task. I'm finding this Challenge to be harder than the Summer Challenge, for some reason. What you don't want to do is read a book first, only to find ..."

Petra, thanks for jogging my memory. I forgot to start the FAll page on Your Writing.

message 18: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (bjrose) | 822 comments Petra wrote: "Choosing the books is the hardest part of the task. I'm finding this Challenge to be harder than the Summer Challenge, for some reason ..."

Same here, Petra - I thought it was because my TBR stack is getting dangerously low! But I'm finding these HELP lists extremely helpful for ideas.

message 19: by Katie (new)

Katie (katieisallbooked) | 263 comments Stephanie wrote: "This is my first challenge also. I felt a little intimidated also. But I looked at the books that I have on my shelf at home and fit in as many as I could. Then I looked at other peoples plans and ..."

This is pretty much how I approached the list. It is overwhelming when you first look at it, but it gets easier once you fill in some blanks and then look at the plans of others.

message 20: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments I created a spreadsheet in googke docs to keep track! :)

message 21: by Krista (new)

Krista (kacey14) I keep an Excel spreadsheet. I have a column for the book I've tentavively selected, and another column for the other possibilites that might work. That way when it comes down to choosing a book I'm not limited to just one selection. (I have lots of other columns too -- but those are the ones I refer to the most.)

I also learned from the Summer Challenge that I didn't have to plan the whole thing out in advance. Like Donna Jo's suggestion, perhaps just figure out the first 4 or 5 books you REALLY want to read. I found that I was sparked in new directions for other books/tasks as I learned what other folks were reading during the challenge. Plus, I like to switch out my reading genres and not read too many of the same type of books in a row.

The best advice is to read for the fun of reading! Don't let this become a chore, or be too stressful. It's just supposed to kick us out of our reading ruts, and get us to keep those pages turning. :-)

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) BJ Rose wrote: "Petra wrote: "Choosing the books is the hardest part of the task. I'm finding this Challenge to be harder than the Summer Challenge, for some reason ..."

Same here, Petra - I thought it was becaus..."

Agree - and extremely damaging to my TBR pile!

message 23: by Abigail (new)

Abigail | 318 comments I'm new and I was thinking about this too. How likely is it that I'll pick a book on my own, then find out I messed up when I actually go to post it? I feel silly screening every single book with someone, but I'd feel silly finding out I was wrong too!

message 24: by Alice (new)

Alice (aliceg) | 429 comments Petra wrote: "Choosing the books is the hardest part of the task. I'm finding this Challenge to be harder than the Summer Challenge, for some reason. What you don't want to do is read a book first, only to find ..."

I'm finding this challenge harder to fit books in than previous ones also. I think it is because some knowledge of the characters and plot are needed for a lot of the tasks and that is hard to know when you haven't yet read the book!

message 25: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Abigail wrote: "I'm new and I was thinking about this too. How likely is it that I'll pick a book on my own, then find out I messed up when I actually go to post it? I feel silly screening every single book with someone, but I'd feel silly finding out I was wrong too! "

This is my third challenge, and I still feel that way! ;) If you're really worried, what I would do is post your plan over on the plan thread, and then make a post here, telling us which comment # your list is, and whoever has some time can look over it and let you know if they see any red flags.

message 26: by Abigail (last edited Aug 26, 2009 07:28PM) (new)

Abigail | 318 comments Sara wrote: If you're really worried, what I would do is post your plan over on the plan thread, and then make a post here, telling us which comment # ...

Well, I won't turn down help if someone has the time and thinks it'd be fun -- but no worries if that's not true of anyone. I'm pretty sure that my first few books will work for *something*. Anyhow, if someone is itching to help a newbie out, my plan is on that thread at Comment #49. And thanks!!

message 27: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Abigail wrote: "Well, I won't turn down help if someone has the time and thinks it'd be fun -- but no worries if that's not true of anyone. I'm pretty sure that my first few books will work for *something*. Anyhow, if someone is itching to help a newbie out, my plan is on that thread at Comment #49. And thanks!!"

5.8 – Click – So each author contributed a chapter in a single story? Interesting... I would ask Cynthia about that, just to make sure she’s cool with it. She wanted "collaboration," and I’m not sure how much would have been done in this case. I’m imagining one author writing a chapter, then passing it on to the next author to write a chapter, and so on, you know what I mean?

10.4 – I had to do some hunting on that one, because the author is from Peru, and I couldn’t tell where it took place. But it looks like Chile, so you’re good to go.

15.4 – You’ll need to watch a science fiction show, as well.

15.6 – You’ll need to go to a museum or create some art, as well. I think you should draw a cartoon, and post it on the forums. That would be awesome!!

Everything else looked good to me! Good luck!

message 28: by Abigail (new)

Abigail | 318 comments Sara, you're amazing. Thank you!

message 29: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments No problem! Glad to help! I'm halfway serious about the cartoon! At least a comic strip! ;)

message 30: by Rachel Lee (new)

Rachel Lee (rlcwt9) | 271 comments Sara, could you look over mine also? This is my first challenge too. My post is #31. I would really appreciate it.

message 31: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Rachel Lee wrote: "Sara, could you look over mine also? This is my first challenge too. My post is #31. I would really appreciate it."

10.5 – I’m so excited that people are reading The Book Thief! It’s REALLY good!

10.7 – Oooh… Interesting… I might read the first one in that series instead of the one I had down...

15.4 – You’ll need to watch a Sci-Fi show also. Have you seen Star Trek?? I was awesome!

15.6 – Plus a jazz CD/concert...

25.3 – Is one of the main-ish characters gay or lesbian? I can’t tell from the description.

message 32: by Rachel Lee (last edited Aug 27, 2009 09:59AM) (new)

Rachel Lee (rlcwt9) | 271 comments on 25.3, I couldn't tell from the description either. But it is the one Wendy said she was reading and I thought it sounded interesting so I am assuming it fits.

And thanks so much.

message 33: by Sara ♥ (last edited Aug 27, 2009 10:02AM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Yeah, you're probably right! No problem!

message 34: by BZMoney (new)

BZMoney | 160 comments Would "The unBEARable lightness of being" work for the Bear task... 10.3?

message 35: by Candace (new)

Candace (candacerenee) I think that the word 'bear' has to be on it's own and can't be a part of another word.

message 37: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Sarah wrote: "Would Our Inner Ape A Leading Primatologist Explains Why We Are Who We Are work for the science task?"

Looks sciency to me! (It's shelved science, nonfiction, evolution, etc.) You'll need to watch a sci-fi show/movie also.

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments Would Pooh, as in Winnie the Pooh be a proper noun?

message 39: by Abigail (new)

Abigail | 318 comments Sara wrote: ...I'm halfway serious about the cartoon! At least a comic strip! ;)

I was planning on doing some art with my daughter, or finishing one of my fiber art projects (read: fancy words for crocheting!) and I'm an AWFUL artist, but I'm very tempted now that you've gone and dared me. ;)

message 40: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Sarah wrote: "Would Pooh, as in Winnie the Pooh be a proper noun?"

His name is Winnie-the-Pooh, which I'd call a compound proper noun. It's definitely a proper name. And it's a REALLY cute book. I read it for the Spring Challenge.

message 41: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Abigail wrote: "Sara wrote: ...I'm halfway serious about the cartoon! At least a comic strip! ;)

I was planning on doing some art with my daughter, or finishing one of my fiber art projects (read: fancy words for crocheting!) and I'm an AWFUL artist, but I'm very tempted now that you've gone and dared me. ;) "

Oh gosh... I'm just trying to live vicariously through someone else, because I have NO ART SKILLS. My stick-figures look bad. Seriously. I crochet and cross-stitch, but those are more crafty than arty...

message 42: by El (new)

El Sarah wrote: "Would Pooh, as in Winnie the Pooh be a proper noun?"

Well, Winnie is a proper noun as in the name of a person... maybe "pooh" could be considered a thing, though that might be a little more crass than these challenges allow... :)

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments Well, I was going to read The Tao of Pooh for one of the books, I was also wondering if Nights in Rodanthe would work as well, for another part of the same task.

message 44: by Sara ♥ (last edited Aug 27, 2009 06:12PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Sarah wrote: "Well, I was going to read The Tao of Pooh for one of the books, I was also wondering if Nights in Rodanthe would work as well, for another part of the same task."

Oh, I see. Yes, I think both would work. Pooh for part 1, and Rodanthe for part 2. If you're wanting to use "nights" for part 3, I'd ask Cait.

message 45: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments Sara wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Well, I was going to read The Tao of Pooh for one of the books, I was also wondering if Nights in Rodanthe would work as well, for another part of the same t..."

Absolutely

message 46: by Katie (new)

Katie El wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Would Pooh, as in Winnie the Pooh be a proper noun?"

Well, Winnie is a proper noun as in the name of a person... maybe "pooh" could be considered a thing, though that might be a litt..."

Nope. Pooh is definitely a name. Probably a last name. Hop aboard the crazy train with me for a minute and I'll show you my "research."

From Wikipedia:
"Christopher Milne had named his toy bear after Winnie, a bear which he often saw at London Zoo, and "Pooh", a swan they had met while on holiday."

See, he named his bear Winnie and Pooh. And there was a swan named Pooh, too. That was the clincher for me.

Until this point, I thought a Pooh was a type of bear. You know, like a Pooh Bear. I stand corrected.

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments Then I wonder how he got to Winne the Pooh

message 48: by Katie (new)

Katie Sarah wrote: "Then I wonder how he got to Winne the Pooh"

Oh, yeah, the way I wrote that was confusing. He was Winnie-the-Pooh from the start. I just meant to say that he had to names, like a first and a last.

message 49: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Sarah wrote: "Then I wonder how he got to Winnie the Pooh"

At the beginning of Winnie-the-Pooh, the bear's name was Edward Bear, but Christopher Robin thought the name was boring or not unique enough, so he renamed the bear Winnie-the-Pooh... no clue where he got it from.

message 50: by El (new)

El Winnie the Pooh is children's literature. Since when has much children's literature made complete sense? Think Dr. Seuss, Shel Silverstein, or Roald Dahl for good examples of (often) nonsensical kid lit. It's just fun and kids love it!

« previous 1