Art Lovers discussion

Salvador Dali

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8203 comments I went to a Dali exhibit where they explained that the reason why he put the 'drawers' within the female figure was because it represented the many different facets of female thought. Some of them open to observation, some closed. It was many years ago, and maybe I am not remembering correctly. Can anyone clarify this for me?

message 2: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8203 comments "...just because I don't know the meaning of my art, does not mean it has no meaning..." S.D.

message 3: by Heather, Moderator (last edited Aug 25, 2009 06:39PM) (new)

Heather | 8203 comments Burning Giraffe (Woman with Drawers) by Salvador Dali
Dali painted "Burning Giraffe" during his exile in the United States. Although Dali declared himself apolitical, "I am Dali, and only that.", this painting shows his personal struggle with the battle in his home country. Characteristic are the opened draws in the blue female figure, which Dali on a later date described as "Femme-coccyx" (tail bone woman). This phenomenon can be traced back to Freud's psychoanalytical method, much admired by Dali. He regarded him as an enormous step forward for civilization, witness his remark. "The only difference between immortal Greece and our era is Sigmund Freud who discovered that the human body, which in Greek times was merely neoplatonical, is now filled with secret drawers only to be opened through psychoanalysis." The opened drawers in this expressive, propped up female figure thus refer to the inner, subconscious within man. In Dali¹s own words his paintings form "a kind of allegory which serves to illustrate a certain insight, to follow the numerous narcissistic smells which ascend from each of our drawers."

message 4: by Heather, Moderator (last edited Aug 26, 2009 02:22AM) (new)

Heather | 8203 comments

I figured out how to post pictures, look out! Here I come!!!
This is my favorite Dali painting just becaust it incorporates my love of music (piano) and my love of Dali himself with his surrealistic charm.

message 5: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 25, 2009 07:55PM) (new)

[image error]

In 1946, Walt Disney and Salvador Dali joined forces to create the short film "Destino." Described by Disney as a love story, the film is, in my opinion, a masterpiece of Surrealism.

THE COMPLETE FILM: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3KeqJ...

message 6: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8203 comments Thank you, Alex. This is VERY interesting since Walt Disney played a huge part in my family. My grandfather worked with him closely. I didn't even know about this encounter with Salvador Dali and their cooperation in creating 'Destino'. Thank you for sharing!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

That is very interesting Heather. Dali was very interested in cinema and the collaboration was a natural step for both artists. "Destino" was forgotten for quite a while but it is finally being recognized as a masterpiece. The Museum of Modern Art (MOMA) in NYC finally presented the film as part of the exhibition DALI: PAINTING AND FILM in 2008. The exhibition also included examples of his efforts with the Marx Brothers, Luis Buñuel, and Alfred Hitchcok.

DALI: PAINTING AND FILM (http://www.moma.org/interactives/exhi...)

message 8: by M (last edited Aug 27, 2009 03:21PM) (new)

M (wwwgoodreadscomprofilem) Nice paintings and sculpture of Salvador Dali, Heather, Alex E. I didn't know that he had worked with Walt Disney. His collaboration with Luis Bunuel and Alfred Hitchock was amazing.
Salvador Dali, the master of Surrealism, was wellknowed for his paintings and sculpture which are the representations of the dalinian symbolic.

"The drawers" symbolize the memory as well as the unconscious one and return to the "thought to drawers", a concept inherited the reading of Freud. The human bodies that open by drawers find on several occasions in paintings and the objects of Dalí. They express the mystery of the hidden secrecies.

Hope this helps to clarify, Heather.

" I believe that I am the savior of modern art, the only one who can sublimate, integrate and rationalize, in an imperial manner and with beauty, all the revolutionary experiences of modern times " - Salvador Dali.

He was also a designer and an illustrator. Here's the link of the Espace Dali in Paris (Montmartre) which has organized a temporary exhibition this year for the 20th anniversary of his disapperance. The Art Gallery presents his major sculptures.

http://www.daliparis.com/english/inde...

message 9: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8203 comments Michelle wrote: "Nice paintings and sculpture of Salvador Dali, Heather. I didn't know that he had worked with Walt Disney. His collaboration with Luis Bunuel and Alfred Hitchock was amazing.
Salvador Dali, the m..."

Great quote!

message 10: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8203 comments Heather wrote: "Michelle wrote: "Nice paintings and sculpture of Salvador Dali, Heather. I didn't know that he had worked with Walt Disney. His collaboration with Luis Bunuel and Alfred Hitchock was amazing.
Sal..."

Thank you for clarifying the 'drawers' symbolism, Michelle. It seems that the influence of Freud was abundant in Dali's work. That makes more sense to me, I now understand Salvador Dali a little better.

message 11: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 5 comments Just watched Destino!!--WOW!!

message 12: by Harmony (new)

Harmony Ingraham (harmonyi) LOVE Dali :)

Alex E. wrote: "

In 1946, Walt Disney and Salvador Dali joined forces to create the short film "Destino." Described by Disney as a love story, the film is, in my opinion, a masterpiece of Surrealism.

THE CO..."

message 13: by Christy (new)

Christy Stewart (christyleighstewart) The Christ of St. John of the Cross is my favorite Dali painting.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Soft Construction with Boiled Beans (Premonition of Civil War) (1936)-My Favorite by Dali!

message 15: by Emily (new)

Emily | 1 comments

My husband and I went to the Dalí Theatre and Museum while in Figueres, Spain and it was fantastic! The Royal Heart was incredible and though it is hard to declare a favorite work of his this is probably my favorite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy-r6-...

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks Emily! Very interesting!

message 17: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 02, 2009 04:35PM) (new)

Christy wrote: "The Christ of St. John of the Cross is my favorite Dali painting."

[image error]

message 18: by Monica (new)

Monica | 909 comments Hi art lovers,

I added some books to the art shelves.

Enjoy,

Monica

message 19: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8203 comments Michelle, I finally got to see the Dali exhibit for which you left the link, I especially enjoy the Persistance of Memory with the Blue Patina. I would love to have a miniature replica of that for my collection!!! Sorry it has taken so long to respond, it wouldn't let me reply to your comment so I have to leave my own comment. Thanks for sharing!

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

[image error]

I was fortunate enough to visit the William Bennett Gallery in Manhattan for the "Persistence of Dali" exhibition. There were many great works by Dali inspired by poetry and great literature. This "Fallen Angel" called my attention. Many original works by Dali, Miro, Picasso, Chagall, and Rembrant were also being displayed and for sale. Such a tempting moment!

message 21: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 5 comments I wonder if the angel had to "fall" before he could start trying to, or even want to try to find what is in all those drawers, espeically in light of what was said earlier in this thread about what the drawers mean. Maybe the drawers on the angels that didn't fall are locked shut and they don't have the key--at least not yet.