Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Policies & Practices > non-Western family names?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 72 comments My copy of The Paper Door and Other Stories lists the author as "Shiga Naoya," but GoodReads has that reversed on some editions (including the one I'm reading).

Wikipedia informs me that "In this Japanese name, the family name is Shiga."

My instinct is to edit the entries so that the author for all of them is "Shiga Naoya," since that's probably how it's listed on all English editions, but I wanted to first find out whether there was some sort of policy on this just in case. Thanks.

message 2: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments If you look at the two author profiles, it seems that Naoya Shiga is much more common than Shiga Naoya, which suggests to me that the former should be the form used here. LoC also agrees.

message 3: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (seeford) | 579 comments I'll have to respectfully disagree with you on that Cait. If you look at the copies of books with covers posted, 2 of the 3 of them are listed as Shiga Naoya, even though they were put on the Naoya Shiga page. The GR policy says to use what is on the cover.
(I also think that we should not 'westernize' the name. Even Wikipedia bounces back and forth on how they refer to this author, so I think we should stick with the name on the cover.)

message 4: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Carolyn wrote: "If you look at the copies of books with covers posted, 2 of the 3 of them are listed as Shiga Naoya, even though they were put on the Naoya Shiga page. The GR policy says to use what is on the cover."

Ah, that's a good point -- I didn't check the covers. Although we do allow name variations in order to combine authors, I agree that the covers should outvote the readers!

Lisa  (not getting friends updates) Vegan (lisavegan) | 2409 comments Covers should rule, but it's a shame that the authors' names aren't put on the covers as they would spell them/in their language/character to alphabet for some languages.