Roger Zelazny discussion

General > General BS & Other Books

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 975 comments If what you want to say doesn't fit in a topic & isn't worthy of one, tell us here...

message 2: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 975 comments I feel so ripped off by Laurell K. Hamilton & her latest book, Blood Noir & the book was GIVEN to me!!! I actually feel pity for Hamilton. She was a good writer at one time. I don't know what happened. It's not just her descent into poor romance, but also her writing skills seem to have deserted her. Like her brain turned to mush or something.

So, I'm having a pity party for the demise of a once good series & decent author.

message 3: by Dan, Jack of Shadows (last edited Aug 26, 2009 10:11AM) (new)

Dan Schwent (akagunslinger) | 55 comments That sounds a lot like when I called it quits with Ann Rice. We had some good years but sometimes, you just have to know when to hang it up.

message 4: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 975 comments It's a shame. The ratings on Amazon show that I'm not alone in my opinion, either. I wonder why she doesn't go back to her original style. She has the story there, but just can't seem to tell it - or doesn't want to.

message 5: by Dan, Jack of Shadows (new)

Dan Schwent (akagunslinger) | 55 comments I hear she does a lot of her writing at a St. Louis Bread Company/Panera Bread not too far from where I work. Maybe someone should have a talk with her.

message 6: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 975 comments If you could drop a copy of my review & the comments under it on her table, it would be appreciated!

message 7: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 975 comments Not books, but a great collection of clips and making-of footage from notable visual effects films of the past century. Takes 5 minutes & is worth every second.
http://www.flixxy.com/movies-visual-e...

message 8: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (frazerc) | 17 comments Neat, thank you! They missed one though. The Last Starfighter is the first film to contain 100% CGI frames. Scenes without humans [such as the opening of death blossom:] were totally computer generated then saved to film - unlike Tron where the actual film footage was altered via computer.

message 9: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 975 comments I was amazed to see "Jason & the Argonauts" listed. While watching it a couple of weeks ago, I thought the skeletons were pretty well done for the year it was made. I'm surprised that I was right.

It's really weird to see it because I had forgotten it for years. My only memory was of a big statue that a guy killed by unscrewing a plug from its heel. That & it was after this movie that I lost my taste for orange soda & popcorn, having overindulged & gotten sick on it. (I was 4.) Anyway, I mentioned the movie on GR & was told the name of it, so I just re-watched it - serendipitous.

message 10: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (frazerc) | 17 comments The skeletons were Ray Harryhausen's work - probably the most famous stop-motion animator ever!

message 11: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 975 comments Really? That's so cool! I had no idea & always thought it was a horrible, grade B fantasy flick because Momma told me so. She, like my wife, daughter, sons & many friends, seem to have no appreciation for how cool those old flicks were. They all groan when I try to watch them; "Forbidden Planet, Tarantuala, The Shrinking Man, The First Space Ship On Venus ... I tell them how cool & revolutionary many of the ideas were, but they say I just have poor taste.

message 12: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (frazerc) | 17 comments A general comment about the older SF: one of the things I like about the older stuff is it is short. Some of the modern stuff rivals a Michener novel [Robert Jordan comes to mind:] and ought to come with a warning label about heavy lifting. [Some:] of the older books did just as great of job telling their stories in much fewer pages, although admittedly not with as much detail. And sometimes that is a good thing.

message 13: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 975 comments Zelazny wrote about the use of detail - actually spoke about it & I read the speech in Power & Light. It was interesting seeing what he had to say about balancing description, detail & action. I've read other things he's said about it in various books of his, too.

One way Zelazny gets around using a lot of words for describing an object is to use an allusion. As a Lit major who took a lot of psych classes & was a poet on top of it all, he came up with some doozies.

I've seen a lot of descriptions of the dawn, but none impressed me on so many levels as this one from Lord of Light:
"The day of battle dawned pink as the fresh-bitten thigh of a maiden."

message 14: by Mohammed , Dilvish The Damned (last edited Sep 12, 2009 07:12AM) (new)

Mohammed  (mohammedaosman) | 83 comments Wizard World is it a collection of Changling Saga books ? Not collection of stories ? Is it fantasy or Science Fantasy ? I wonder because i want to read different sides of RZ after Amber.

I'm thinking about getting My Name is Legion or Wizard World omnibus from bookmooch.

Those are my best choices, since the others books are Amber or books they dont use outside US.

message 15: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 975 comments Both excellent books. My Name Is Legion is two short stories & a novella "Home is the Hangman". All 3 are about a man with no name who dropped out of society after a world wide computerized system was put into place. Now he's a trouble shooter & these are 3 of his adventures.

While I liked both "Changeling" & "Mad Wand", I'll warn you that the first can stand alone, but the second leaves you on a terrible cliff hanger. It's good & it explains a lot in the first book, but opens up more questions, too. "Changeling" was the better book, too. Very good. "Mad Wand" was good, but not fantastic.

message 16: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 84 comments Someone gave me a copy of Wizard World when I was younger, and I lost it before I ever had a chance to read it. I'll have to get it again..

message 17: by Mohammed , Dilvish The Damned (new)

Mohammed  (mohammedaosman) | 83 comments Thanks Jim i went for My Name is Legion, i want to read more sf of RZ and SF/Mystery is too great a combo. I love when it done well. Like Jack Vance does in SF/Mystery stories and Richard Morgan's Altered Carbon

message 18: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 975 comments I think you made the right choice, Mohammed, knowing your taste for pulp. If you get a chance, you should pick up his book, The Dead Man's Brother. It's published by HCC & fits well with the rest of their line. I don't think you'll be disappointed by 'Legion'. The hero is Corwin-like.

message 19: by Mohammed , Dilvish The Damned (new)

Mohammed  (mohammedaosman) | 83 comments Dead Man's Brother is a given. The early parts of Nine Princes of Amber showed a writing style, was a sort of a mystery/crime plot that i thought instantly his HCC must be an interesting read.

At the moment i'm going for his rated books that are out of print like Jack of Shadows, Doorways in the Sand.

message 20: by Dan, Jack of Shadows (new)

Dan Schwent (akagunslinger) | 55 comments I liked the structure of Doorways in the Sand more than I liked the actual plot. Jack of Shadows was really good.

message 21: by Mohammed , Dilvish The Damned (new)

Mohammed  (mohammedaosman) | 83 comments Those are books my gut feeling say i should read. I have learned to trust that feeling.

message 22: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 975 comments Has anyone read anything by Elizabeth Bear? A friend of mine just mentioned her to me & I've been hearing about her other places. I'd like to read something by her that is representative.

I just realized I HAVE read one book by her, Hammered. I read it not long before we moved & don't remember being especially impressed by it. Cyborg lady mechanic in a tough spot in Canada. Murder mystery or something?... I see she has more traditional fantasy stuff too. Recommendations?

message 23: by Henrik (new)

Henrik | 3 comments Jim, yes I have read something by Bear. It is the short story & other oddities collection, The Chains That You Refuse published by Night Shade Books in 2006.

I don't know if it's representive, but the collection was fairly okay with me. Some of it I didn't like at all, such as the IMO ridiculous "Schrödinger's Cat Chases the Super String" (not so much because of the subject, which is quite fascinating, but because of the handling, ugh) and the ee cummings pastiche "poem". Others I greatly enjoyed. The major I enjoyed; she is good with words, I think, and imageries, regardless of genre--sci-fi, weird or fantasy (quite an accomplishment).

You have Hammered? Argh, I have actually been curious about that one for years, but haven't found it...:-/

Anyway, hope my reply provides some sort of satisfaction, Jim.

message 24: by Greyweather (new)

Greyweather | 63 comments Jim wrote: "Has anyone read anything by Elizabeth Bear? A friend of mine just mentioned her to me & I've been hearing about her other places. I'd like to read something by her that is represe..."

I haven't read Hammered but I have read Blood and Iron and All the Windwracked Stars. An acquaintance of mine, who has read almost everything Bear has ever written, tells me that her Promethean Age novels, starting with Blood and Iron, is what you want to look at.

message 25: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 975 comments Thanks, Henrik & Greyweather. I think I gave my copy of 'Hammered' to my son & maybe the 2d book, too. I had to get rid of about 1000 books when we moved & I don't think it made the cut. It might have been a mood thing (yes, I'm moody). I may have read one too many tough girls at the time. I'll try 'Blood & Iron'. Thanks.

message 26: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 975 comments I just read Ganwold's Child by Diann Thornley. I'm not sure how I came by it, but it or the second book had a blurb by Zelazny on the front about a talented new writer. It was OK, but I'm in no rush to read the second one.

message 27: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 975 comments If anyone is interested in high end horror books, Centipede Press is a good place to keep an eye on.
http://www.centipedepress.com/

They're not cheap, but they have some wonderful collections. I just ordered 2 copies of the complete horror stories of Karl Edward Wagner. It's a 2 book set, so it cost close to $200, but next Xmas is now taken of for Marg & Brandon. (Marg can give me one set, we'll give the other to Brandon. Getting older makes buying me a present tough, but on the positive side, if I hand Marg the books when they come in, I'll have forgotten about them by December.)
;-)

Anyway, there's a sale going on right now that might interest everyone:

LOW STOCK
Autopsy
Karl Edward Wagner volume 1 and 2
The Complete Slayers

UNSIGNED AND SCRATCH AND DENT SALE

Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde
unsigned copies $100 each
These are in new condition

Carrie
Studies in the Horror Film
signed hardcover
scratch and dent $65

The Exorcist
Studies in the Horror Film
signed hardcover
scratch and dent $95

or take both for $150

Dramas from the Depths
scratch and dent $100

The Sheep Look Up
scratch and dent $65

Child of Rage
scratch and dent $35

Koko by Peter Straub
scratch and dent $75

The Fog by James Herbert
scratch and dent $40

Artists Inspired by H.P. Lovecraft
scratch and dent $175

Artists Inspired by Stephen King
scratch and dent $95

New but unsigned copies of The Complete Slayers
$40

There is a review of this which just appeared in Saturday’s Wall Street Journal.

IN ADDITION, there are the following items for sale from my own collection.

Gunter Grass
The Danzig Trilogy
hardcover
$25

Karl Edward Wagner
Exorcisms and Ecstacies
trade hardcover $40

The Essays of E.B. White
hardcover, no dustjacket $10

Scott Sigler, Ancestor, new, $15

Dark Winds by Graham Watkins
ARC, $10

Wildwood by John Farris
ARC, $10

Iberia by James Michener
hardcover in dustjacket
$10

Sebald by Austerlitz
first edition hardcover in dustjacket, $10

Shakespeare a Biography by Quennell
hardcover in dustjacket, $5

Patrs of a World: Wallace Stevens remembered
hardcover, no dustjacket, $5

Thank you all for your support!

---------------------------------------
Jerad Walters
Centipede Press
2565 Teller Court
Lakewood, Colorado 80214

jerad@centipedepress.com
www.centipedepress.com

message 28: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 975 comments Chris (ckovacs) are you still around? If so, could you PM me, please? A question about A Night in the Lonesome October.

message 29: by ckovacs (new)

ckovacs | 142 comments Yes I’m here. I don’t know how to PM do you probably need to do it.