The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > Apple Cover

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Angie (new)

Angie  (angelitabonita) | 75 comments Please help, I do not want to read Twilight but I can't seem to find another book with an apple on the cover. Even searched google.

message 2: by Beth (new)

Beth | 665 comments I plan on using this one - Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen. There's an apple tree with a few plump, juicy apples on the cover.

message 3: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) I am using Candy Apple Red

It doesn't ahve to be a picture, it can have the word apple in it, hth

message 4: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (smalltowncdn) | 0 comments Ida B. . . and Her Plans to Maximize Fun, Avoid Disaster, and (Possibly) Save the World by Katherine Hannigan is a teen novel with an apple on the cover. There's another one I can picture, but can't think of the title or author.

You could also read one with Apple in the title.

message 5: by Greyweather (new)

Greyweather White Apples by Jonathan Carroll

message 6: by El (new)

El Greyweather wrote: "White Apples by Jonathan Carroll"

Yes!! A personal favorite!

message 7: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 84 comments Freakonomics has an apple on the cover too. (with an orange inside but still an apple). I think I'm going to use this one for this task.

message 8: by Bluemoon (new)

Bluemoon (bluemoon286) | 1837 comments Beth(MN) wrote: "I plan on using this one - Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen. There's an apple tree with a few plump, juicy apples on the cover."

I just finished this book. It was good. I hope that you enjoy it!!

message 9: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie | 111 comments Jenna wrote: "Freakonomics has an apple on the cover too. (with an orange inside but still an apple). I think I'm going to use this one for this task."

I loved Freakonomics! Economics was one of the classes I just didn't understand in high school, but Freakonomics was really fun and interesting.

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments One Bad Apple (An Orchard Mystery) by Sheila Connolly by Sheila Connolly

and

Rotten to the Core (An Orchard Mystery) by Sheila Connolly by Sheila Connolly

I'm not sure which one I'm going to read yet!

message 11: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 680 comments Here's another option. I have not read it but was thinking about it for this task.

Comfort Me with Apples

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments Patricia, interesting book title.

message 13: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 680 comments And here's an option with an apple on the cover.

What Was She Thinking? Notes on a Scandal A Novel

message 14: by Dionisia (new)

Dionisia (therabidreader) | 436 comments Also found an edition of Notes on a Scandal with an apple on the cover.

What Was She Thinking? Notes on a Scandal A Novel by Zoë Heller

message 15: by Cait (new)

message 16: by Angie (new)

Angie  (angelitabonita) | 75 comments Beth(MN) wrote: "I plan on using this one - Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen. There's an apple tree with a few plump, juicy apples on the cover."

haha ya know I've been meaning to read that and didn't even notice the apples. Thanks for the suggestion :)

message 17: by Angie (new)

Angie  (angelitabonita) | 75 comments Thanks to everyone for all the great ideas.

message 18: by Terri (last edited Aug 26, 2009 12:30AM) (new)

Terri (terrisa-uk) | 233 comments There's also this edition of Songs of the Humpback Whale The girl is holding an apple and there are more apples on the back cover. Not sure if this is just an English edition though ...

Songs of the Humpback Whale by Jodi Picoult

And also The Amazing Adventures of Dietgirl She has an apple in her hand.

The Amazing Adventures of Dietgirl by Shauna Reid

message 19: by Nicki (new)

Nicki (luluminstrel) | 285 comments How about this - Kerry Greenwood writes mystery novels and is great! I really recommend her. This one is set in a bakery in Melbourne, Australia.

Trick or Treat (Corinna Chapman) by Kerry Greenwood

Or this?

The Cider House Rules by John Irving

message 20: by Bridgit (new)

Bridgit | 515 comments Away by Amy Bloom has an apple on it too

message 21: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (JenJen1221) Peeled by Joan Bauer

This is one that I always see at the bookstore and kind of want to pick up as well

message 22: by Candace (new)

Candace (candacerenee) I was going to suggest The Cider House Rules by John Irving as well, but it looks like lots of people have beaten me to it! :)

message 23: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (bjrose) | 822 comments Beth(MN) wrote: "I plan on using this one - Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen. There's an apple tree with a few plump, juicy apples on the cover."

This one sounds great, Beth - I was also going to read Candy Apple Red, but may switch to this, since I don't have either one yet.

message 24: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments I saw this book at my library:
The Fiction Class by Susan Breen
I know virtually nothing about it... but there's an apple!

message 25: by El (new)

El Sara wrote: "I saw this book at my library:
I know virtually nothing about it... but there's an apple!"

Cool, looks like it could fit the teacher category too if someone would like to use there instead (if the apple task is already filled)!

message 26: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Beth(MN) wrote: "I plan on using this one - Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen. There's an apple tree with a few plump, juicy apples on the cover."

That book looks fascinating... I think I'll switch...

message 27: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (bjrose) | 822 comments El wrote: "Sara wrote: "I saw this book at my library:
I know virtually nothing about it... but there's an apple!"

Cool, looks like it could fit the teacher category too if someone would like to use there instead (if the apple task is already filled)! ..."

And in the blurb it says she's also writing a book, so it could fit in occupation or dream job - gotta love these multi-purpose books!

message 28: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments It also has a 3-word title... ;) Of course, I imagine you'd want to put something from your TBR in that category... I know I did!

message 29: by Cynthia (new)

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments I didn't think you could count a book for multiple tasks.

message 31: by Megan (last edited Aug 28, 2009 03:45AM) (new)

Megan | 15 comments I'm still debating which of these I'll use-
White Apples and the Taste of Stone Selected Poems 1946-2006 by Donald Hall Skin Hunger (A Resurrection of Magic, Book 1) by Kathleen Duey

message 32: by Melissa (last edited Aug 28, 2009 04:55AM) (new)

Melissa (macyboston) Sarah,

I'm new to this but I don't think you can count a book for multiple tasks either. I think though they are referring to the fact that it would qualify for various tasks so you could play around with what task you'd like to use it for.

message 33: by Liz M (last edited Aug 28, 2009 05:44AM) (new)

Liz M Sarah wrote: "I didn't think you could count a book for multiple tasks."

Melissa wrote: "Sarah,
I'm new to this but I don't think you can count a book for multiple tasks either. I think though they are referring to the fact that it would qualify for various tasks so you could play ar..."

You are both right; a book can't be used for more than one task. I suspect Melissa's interpretation is correct.

Personally, I try to choose books that fulfill more than one task, in case I don't have time to finish a multiple-book challenge, I can use the one book I did read for another task; or if I desperately need to read a book I hadn't originally planned on, I can shift things around to fit the surprise book in; or if for whatever reason a book I read is ruled as not correct for the task, I can still shift it somewhere else for points.

message 34: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Melissa wrote: "I'm new to this but I don't think you can count a book for multiple tasks either. I think though they are referring to the fact that it would qualify for various tasks so you could play around with what task you'd like to use it for. "

Exactly right.

message 35: by Candace (new)

Candace (candacerenee) Melissa wrote: "Sarah,

I'm new to this but I don't think you can count a book for multiple tasks either. I think though they are referring to the fact that it would qualify for various tasks so you could play ar..."

You're both right, you can't use the same book for multiple tasks, but a lot of us like to pick books that will work for more than one task just in case we want to switch things around :).

message 36: by Kate (new)

Kate (klc23) | 162 comments The movie version of My Life in France by Julia Child (the one with Meryl Streep at the French market on the cover) has a bin of apples on it too.

My Life in France (Movie Tie-In Edition) by Julia Child

message 37: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) Sarah wrote: "One Bad Apple (An Orchard Mystery) by Sheila Connolly by Sheila Connolly

I enjoyed that one.

message 38: by Kay (new)

Kay (neenamara) | 74 comments I was going to read Snow White and Rose Red, though now I'm tempted by all of these other options :)

message 39: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (smalltowncdn) | 0 comments If anyone is thinking of non-fic for this challenge, I just started Apples Are from Kazakhstan The Land that Disappeared and it's fabulous. I'd probably classify it as a travelogue, but it has lots of great stuff about the history and culture. Very fascinating!

message 40: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Jensen (Literally Jen) (vampsita) In my search tonight for this task, I found two appealing options:

"The Poison Apples" by Lily Archer
"The Stepmother" by Carrie Adams

Be forewarned: "The Stepmother" is a follow up to "The Godmother."

However, I'm glad someone suggested "Garden Spells." That book has been sitting on my shelf for a couple years now, so I think this is the perfect opportunity to read it.

message 41: by Andreea (new)

Andreea (andyyy) | 61 comments I made a wonderful discovery at the library today- all books published by Virago Press have an apple on their cover as it is the company's logo. They publish mostly women's literature, but there's still a wide variety of books to choose from.

message 42: by Candace (new)

Candace (candacerenee) Andreea wrote: "I made a wonderful discovery at the library today- all books published by Virago Press have an apple on their cover as it is the company's logo. They publish mostly women's literature, but there's ..."

Apple Publishing does that too! Their stuff is mostly younger books (Babysitter's Club etc), but they work! I already got the ok from Cynthia! (I didn't want to read Twilight again - as much as I love it!)

message 43: by Petra (new)

Petra There's also Sporadic Memories by Ali Marsman . I'm hoping to find a copy of this book.

message 44: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 732 comments Petra wrote: "There's also Sporadic Memories by Ali Marsman. I'm hoping to find a copy of this book. "

I've been trying to get it also. My library doesn't have it. I may break down and order it.

message 45: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments I am thinking about reading a book called Lies Women Believe And the Truth that Sets Them Free. The cover has an apple on it (like Eve from the Garden of Eden... Lies Women Believe And the Truth that Sets Them Free by Nancy Leigh DeMoss .

message 46: by Petra (new)

Petra Lisa wrote: "Petra wrote: "There's also Sporadic Memories by Ali Marsman. I'm hoping to find a copy of this book. "

I've been trying to get it also. My library doesn't have it. I may break down and orde..."

My library doesn't have it either, Lisa. I did put a request in to them to perhaps purchase a copy but, never having done that before, I don't know how effective it'll be.
I may have to order it, too. There's a Giveaway for it at the moment, if you weren't aware. It's over in a few days so hurry and sign up. Maybe one of us will be the Winner. :D

message 47: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 732 comments Petra wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Petra wrote: "There's also Sporadic Memories by Ali Marsman. I'm hoping to find a copy of this book. "

I've been trying to get it also. My library doesn't have it. I may brea..."

Already signed up. Thanks Petra. I may end up reading Garden Spells for the task, but it looks good too and is getting great reviews.

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

The Poison Apples by Lily Archer

I read this last challenge. It was ok. YA book. Evil stepmothers, revenge.

I think I'm just going to read Freakonomics.

message 49: by Krista (last edited Sep 04, 2009 11:24PM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) I just reserved this at the library today. I don't think it's been mentioned on this thread yet....

Welcome to Temptation (Dempsey's, 1) by Jennifer Crusie Welcome to Temptation by Jennifer Crusie

message 50: by Heather (new)

Heather | 356 comments Welcome to Temptation was the first Jennifer Crusie book I read. I loved it! Perfect Chick Lit!

Heather in KS

« previous 1