What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > YA book about girl captured by indians

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Eireanne (new)

Eireanne | 3 comments It is NOT Indian Captive: The Story of Mary Jemison. I was hoping it would be.

I read a few pages out of it around 20 years ago, a girl with blonde hair was kidnapped by Indians, I believe her family was scalped, and eventually towards the end of the book she sort of 'became' one of the Indians and didn't want to move back with the white people. I'll try to remember some more plot, but that's about all that's coming to mind right now.

message 2: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ash88) Was it part of a series or collection of other YA historical novels?? I read one that had the same plot probably 10 years ago... I don't remember the title but I could find out when I get home because I think my younger sister still has those books.

message 3: by Eireanne (new)

Eireanne | 3 comments I'm really not sure. A classmate of mine was reading it, and I just read a few pages. I wanted her to lend it to me after she was done, but she didn't. Can't for the life of me remember :(

message 4: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6972 comments Mod
Where the Broken Heart Still Beats The Story of Cynthia Ann Parker Was it possibly that?

There are a number of books that tell the story of people taken by the Tribes. Many didn't want to return to their families because they ate better, had a better quality of life with the Tribes. This changed later, of course, but especially during Colonial times life with a Tribe was much better than one at one of the European colonies.

message 5: by Lisa (last edited Aug 25, 2009 04:46PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1382 comments A Woman of the People
A Woman of The People

Was it A Woman of the People by Benjamin Capps?

She is blonde and 9 when she is captured with her 5 year old sister. Her parents and older brother are scalped at the time she is captured. She ends up staying with the tribe. This is a favorite book of mine.

Edit: There are many, many books in this vein, both fiction and non-fiction.

message 6: by Eireanne (new)

Eireanne | 3 comments No, I don't think that's it either. I just read a bit of that one, and I remember the part where she was kidnapped was more graphic than that, also perhaps she didn't speak, and I definitely don't remember there being Spanish in it. This may be like looking for a needle in a haystack. Thanks for all your suggestions though!

Lisa wrote: "A Woman of the People
A Woman of The People

Was it A Woman of the People by Benjamin Capps?

She is blonde and 9 when she is captured with her 5 year old sister. Her p..."

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1382 comments There was no Spanish at all in A Woman of the People. She didn't speak nor did her sister until they got to the camp, and not right away. It seemed graphic for mew hen I read it at 12, but I'm sure there are much more graphic accounts.

So, Eireanne, Don't give up. Keep checking back! I'm sure many more members will give suggestions and one of them might be the correct book.

message 8: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9 comments Could it be Calico Captive by Elizabeth George Speare? I don't remember much of it (aside from the girls being made to run a gauntlet at some point), so I'm not sure how closely it matches your description.

message 9: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ash88) Was it in the style of a diary? I just found the one I read when I was younger but it was diary style...

Standing in the Light The Captive Diary of Catharine Carey Logan

There are so many like this but I hope you find the book!! good luck :)

message 10: by Angel (new)

Angel (mnemosyne) | 25 comments The one I read sounds like it may be too recent to be yours, though it fits in all other aspects:
Trouble's Daughter The Story of Susanna Hutchinson, Indian Captive by Katherine Kirkpatrick
Trouble's Daughter: The Story of Susanna Hutchinson, Indian Captive.

The girl is blonde, she's 9 when the book starts, and though I was an adult when I read it, I was kinda freaked out by how graphic the deaths of her family members were.

There are a surprising number of books about girls being captured by Native Americans. I think it's kind of weird that there are so many, like it's some sort of Victorian fantasy or something.

message 11: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1382 comments Angel, Well, a lot of them, including the Susanna Hutchinson one, are based on true stories. Of course, it's still interesting that so many of these types of events were made into fiction or non-fiction books.

message 12: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 4 comments The book you are looking for is "Ride The Wind" by Lucia St.Clare Robson. I read this in 1990, and then forgot the title too. I just kept looking harder this time. Enjoy.

message 13: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1382 comments Wow Rosemary, Ride the Wind sounds as though it's about the same girl/woman as the character in A Woman of The People so no wonder I thought of that one. I just added Ride the Wind to my to-read shelf.

message 14: by Angie (new)

Angie (just-me) | 16 comments This is a true account of two sisters who were taken by indians after their family was killed. The Captivity of the Oatman Girls Among the Apache and Mohave Indians It doesn't sound just right, but thought you might want to check any way.

message 15: by Krista the Krazy Kataloguer (last edited Oct 09, 2009 06:48PM) (new)

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer (kristathekrazykataloguer) | 104 comments How about I Am Regina by Sally Keehn?

message 16: by Kate (new)

Kate (katespofford) | 248 comments Maybe The Ransom of Mercy Carter by Caroline B. Cooney?

The Ransom of Mercy Carter (Laurel Leaf Books) by Caroline B. Cooney

message 17: by Mir (new)

Mir | 703 comments Did the girl have a brother? It could be Wait for Me, Watch for Me, Eula Bee.

message 18: by Sara ♥ (last edited Nov 06, 2009 02:27PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 141 comments This isn't it (it's not old enough), but I'll throw it out there anyway: Miranda and the Warrior by Elaine Barbieri.

message 20: by Erin (new)

Erin | 5 comments I think someone mentioned this already, but it sounds a lot like Calico Captive.

message 21: by Emily (new)

Emily | 136 comments How about Girl in Buckskin?

message 22: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1382 comments Jessica wrote: "Could it be "Indian Captive: the Story of Mary Jemison" by Lois Lenske?"

Message #1 specifies this isn't the book.

There are so many books with this topic. Hopefully, we'll find the right one eventually.

message 23: by Emily (new)

Emily | 136 comments I still have hopes for my suggestion of Girl in Buckskin, which had a paperback reissue the year the poster read her book.

message 24: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 1 comments I hope somebody is still reading this thread, because I think I'm looking for the same book. The only clue I remember (I hope it's the same book) is (I think) the title has something to do with Corn? I remember her hair was very blonde and the name the Indians gave her represented the golden colour of the corn in the field.

Does this sound familiar to anybody?

message 25: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 71 comments Jennifer wrote: "I hope somebody is still reading this thread, because I think I'm looking for the same book. The only clue I remember (I hope it's the same book) is (I think) the title has something to do with Cor..."

The main character in Indian Captive by Lois Lenski got the new Indian name Corn Tassel. I know the original poster didn't think that was the book she was looking for but if you aren't sure you may want to take a look at that book.

message 26: by Diana (new)

Diana Welsch | 529 comments Perhaps A Circle Unbroken by Solace Hotze. This girl was a redhead, so perhaps it's not the right one.

message 27: by Lara (last edited May 04, 2010 07:09AM) (new)

Lara | 15 comments How about The White by Deborah Larsen? This is another fictional account of Mary Jemison.

message 28: by Sunshine5 (new)

Sunshine5 | 3 comments I know the book you're talkng about, but I can't remember the name of the book or the author. There's another thread on this site about it, and no one's been able to help them, either. I believe the Indians called the girl Cornsilk because of her hair.

message 30: by Jane (new)

Jane | 7 comments Could it be Mercy by Caroline B. Cooney?

message 31: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 179 comments Ghost Fox possibly?
Ghost Fox (A Harvest Book) by James Archibald Houston Ghost Fox by James Archibald Houston

message 33: by ♥Xeni♥ (new)

♥Xeni♥ (xeni) Ashley wrote: "Was it in the style of a diary? I just found the one I read when I was younger but it was diary style...

Standing in the Light The Captive Diary of Catharine Carey Logan"

From your description I would say it's definitely this one. Because I read this as well. Although based on msg. 30, the main character wasn't called Cornsilk. Although, in this one, her brother was kidnapped with her, and he later died from fever.

message 35: by Annie (new)

Annie | 1 comments I have read two books like this and I'm trying to remember the name of one. The one I remember was I Am Regina, the one I don't seems like it had something about a song in the title. The reason I'm curious about them is that the books were written by different authors and were clearly two different stories about different girls, but the beginning of each book was exactly the same- the girls were sisters. I wonder if the authors knew about each others' books...

message 36: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4072 comments Mod
I recall two books besides the Mary Jemison book. One is Trouble's Daughter: The Story of Susanna Hutchinson, Indian Captive by Katherine Kirkpatrick. The other is Calico Captive, in which the girls are taken in New Hampshire, and end up, after several years, in Canada. Both are interesting.

message 37: by Ariana (new)

Ariana | 53 comments Krista the Krazy Kataloguer wrote: "How about I Am Regina by Sally Keehn?"

I agree that it sounds a great deal like this book. They eat ground corn while they are traveling. The mother of the man who takes Regina captive really wants to marry her off, but Regina always resists.

message 38: by Gerriane (new)

Gerriane (gerri_berri) | 30 comments Did the cover have the Main Character giving a piggy back to a boy who kind of becomes her "brother"?

message 39: by Gerriane (new)

Gerriane (gerri_berri) | 30 comments Ariana wrote: "Krista the Krazy Kataloguer wrote: "How about I Am Regina by Sally Keehn?"

I agree that it sounds a great deal like this book. They eat ground corn while they are traveling. The m..."

That sounds a lot like the book I had in mind!! I'm sooo glad I found this! hahaha :D Thanksies (although this might not be what the first person was looking for)

message 40: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Winner | 1 comments Could you be looking for Follow the River?

message 41: by Molly (new)

Molly Burgess | 1 comments It's Ghost Fox.

message 42: by Krista the Krazy Kataloguer (last edited Mar 25, 2013 10:03AM) (new)

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer (kristathekrazykataloguer) | 104 comments Never heard of Ghost Fox, but I just looked it up and added it to my "to-read" shelf.

message 43: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Ghost Fox by James Archibald Houston for the link. At least, I assume that's the one Molly means; there are others with similar titles.

message 44: by Gabs (new)

message 45: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (stephdrum) | 2 comments This is crazy. I remember reading this book when I was in 7th grade in ny. We read it as a part of our nys history class. I have been trying to remember the nme of the book for awhile. It was based on a true story and the girl's name was Cornsilk but at the end it was changed to something different when she decided to remain with the tribe.

message 46: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (stephdrum) | 2 comments I actually contacted my 7th grade history teacher about the book I was thinking of and it was Indian Captive: the Story of Mary Jemison. While it might not be the one you are looking for, I actually made my old teacher's day. I am 42 and remembered a book he assigned in 7th grade. He was thrilled I remembered him and that book.

message 47: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 73 comments wow, so it is finally solved. funny how memory plays tricks.

message 48: by Ann aka Iftcan (last edited Aug 31, 2013 11:29AM) (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6972 comments Mod
Wendy--it's not solved yet. Stephanie isn't the OP. And, until we get word from her, it's still up in the air. (Especially since the OP said that it wasn't the book that Stephanie had been looking for in her original post.)

message 49: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Akers | 2 comments The light in the forest by conrad ricjter

message 50: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah | 47 comments Several people have mentioned Calico Captive, but it does not sound like the OPs book. In Calico Captive, the MC is given chances to stay with the Indians and the French, but in the end she chooses to return to her English home.

« previous 1