Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

2009 Challenge Archive > PC: Books, Books, Books

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (last edited Aug 25, 2009 10:06AM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Do you keep yours neatly arranged in bookshelves, tidily stashed away in boxes underneath the bed, haphazardly piled on the floor, or teetering precariously on your bedside table?

Where do you keep your precious books?

This challenge idea came to mind, when I was staring at my empty bookshelves. (For those who were unaware, I just moved this weekend, and all my books are in boxes. Half of the boxes that we moved are books..LOL!..and to think I don't buy that many books because I don't have a permanent home yet.) So here I was thinking, wish I took a picture of how I had arranged my books before I packed them, and then, I started wondering what my GR friends bookshelves and other places where they keep their books looked like.

So, go ahead, don't be shy, take a picture or pictures of places where you have your books. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would want to see.

message 2: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (last edited Aug 25, 2009 11:25AM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) | 0 comments [image error]

OKay, that's about as good as I can get the photo to show up here. These are 2 bookcases from my dining room. There is a larger clearer picture of it here: http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/p...

I counted once and between small, wide, short, or tall bookcases in the house I have about 13 or more. Some are wood, some are the screw together yourself pressed wood stuff with wood-looking paper stuck to it, some are metal. There is almost a bookcase in every room of the house (only exceptions are the bathrooms and one son's room. Even my wide short hallway has one built-in bookcase and 4 more bookcases (full of VHS tapes and DVDs).

Not counting kids books, books (mostly antique harlequins) in boxes stored in the basement, or a good portion of my massive cookbook collection... the rest of the books in the house I've inventoried and entered into goodreads. I have over 3,000. So most of my bookcases are full enough that some shelves are 2 high and 3 deep with paperbacks, etc.

message 3: by Melinda (new)

Melinda (craftymommy) | 766 comments My bookcases. I love them. My husband just built them for me a couple of months ago. :) I was using my daughter's old (and very small) bookcase, which used to be my bookcase when I was a teenager, and all my books wouldn't fit - so for mother's day I got two new ones (love IKEA).

[image error]

All my paperbacks:

[image error]

Larger books and hard covers on this side - I also use the first two shelves to house books that I haven't read yet {a live TBR shelf}.

[image error]

By the way - all my husband's books are, um, in the closet. ;p

message 4: by Kasia (new)

Kasia Kate, you bookcase does seem packed!!! And no wonder with all those awesome book sales and book bags you were telling us about, I would have by bookshelves stuffed to the limit as well. I can just picture all the good stuff in there. And we're talking ~3000 titles?!!! OH.MY.

message 5: by Kasia (new)

Kasia Melinda wrote: "My bookcases. I love them."

I'm in love as well. Everything is so nicely presented. I just want to grab a book off one of the shelves and start reading NOW.

message 6: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (last edited Aug 30, 2009 07:09PM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) | 0 comments Kasia wrote: "Kate, you bookcase does seem packed!!! And no wonder with all those awesome book sales and book bags you were telling us about, I would have by bookshelves stuffed to the limit as well. I can just ..."

I have alot of bookcases all over the house in varying sizes. I have 4 thin short ones in the living room (1 has mostly playstation games but a few books). 4 bookcases in the dining room (if I count the baker's rack totally full of cookbooks as 1). I have 3 bookcases in my bedroom. One is bursting with 2 high and 3 deep per shelf - all harlequins. I have 6 more bookcases in various rooms of the basement (scifi/westerns, cookbook overflow, kids books, Harlequin Desires, another of romance books and craft books). With 3000+ books (hardback and paperback) they take up alot of room. That total does NOT count kids books, or books in boxes (which I have 6 or more apple boxes full of books). Oh, and my upstairs hallway has 4 bookcases plus one buildin bookcase... all full of VHS movies. lol The DVDs are across the top of the bookcases. (When the kids used to get in trouble, their punishment would be to alphabatize movies. lol)

message 7: by Kasia (new)

Kasia !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

;D

message 8: by Mel W (last edited Aug 31, 2009 11:13PM) (new)

Mel W (melw) | 981 comments Wow!!

Here's mine ...

Mel's bookcase

It lives in my husband's study 'cos my study doubles as a guest room and there's no space for a bookcase or two at the moment. As you can see, my books are stacked two high and two deep :)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) | 0 comments Looks a bit like mine Mel. Stuffed to the gils! hehe

message 10: by Mel W (new)

Mel W (melw) | 981 comments And those are just MY books - lol! Although I do see a couple of hubby's appear to have snuck in there - I guess he thinks he's entitled since it is his study :) Both kids each have their own bookcase in their room, plus a few shelves in the wall unit in their activity area upstairs. Oh, and hubby has one in our bedroom which is mostly filled with books relating to his studies. I think I need to go on another bookcase shopping trip :)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) | 0 comments I've had trouble finding bookcases. Even the screw-together-yourself ones are hard to find at the moment. I've found some that are metal bookshelves. Not my favorite as they warp but hey, they were FREE! lol (So they are in the basement)

message 12: by Mel W (new)

Mel W (melw) | 981 comments I have the same trouble, Kate, mostly because I want them to blend in with our existing furniture. The one in the photo we found at an office furniture place at a bargain price - they were moving showrooms. Unfortunately, they only had one!

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) | 0 comments You used to be able to find the build yourself bookcases made from pressed wood at Walmart/Kmart but you can't anymore. I'd love another of the tall narrow ones like in the photo. It's as tall as a regular bookcase but is only a foot wide. I finally got to the point that the oldest books I won't read ($1/bag antique harlequins) are in boxes in the basement.

message 14: by Barbara ★ (new)

Barbara ★ | 3557 comments I have over 900 books in my one bedroom apartment and have the unread books alphabetically sorted by paperback, hardcover and trade size. These are in the bedroom on 4 seven foot tall shelves (stacked 2 high and 2 deep on some shelves) and 4 shorter shelves (2 in the bedroom and 2 in the living room). I also have 2 shelves in the closet which contain all the books I've read and am swapping or selling - also alphabetized. Then in the living room I have 1 seven foot tall shelf with my keepers on it (2 high and 2 deep). These are separated by series instead of alphabetized and are mixed paperbacks and hardcovers.

I can't take pictures since I haven't been able to figure out how to post them. But I guess you get the idea. My little slice of book heaven.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) | 0 comments wow, that's a lot of alphabatized books. I havn't done that because when you add to it, and keep them alphabatized, you got alot of books to move! What I have done is put Harlequins in order, by series, by issue number. I only get new ones to add to those that may be older about once a year (at the summer's annual library book bag sale). I redo my shelves then.

message 16: by Barbara ★ (new)

Barbara ★ | 3557 comments Eventhough I get books almost every week, I only realphabetize about once a month. I just pop the books on the front of the shelf alphabetically where they belong and at another time, realign everything.

message 17: by Mel W (new)

Mel W (melw) | 981 comments When we bought the bookcase pictured, I rearranged my book alphabetically by author. Series order first and then stand-alone's. Would work well if I had more space and of course, stopped buying books ... and that's not going to happen anytime soon!

:)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) | 0 comments Yeah, as our collections grows, it really can screw up the order of the bookcases. But we aren't going to stop buying are we! lol

message 19: by Barbara ★ (new)

Barbara ★ | 3557 comments Not in this lifetime! The solution is just to buy more bookcases. LOL

message 20: by Mel W (new)

Mel W (melw) | 981 comments I think my family wishes I would stop buying - lol! I picked up 10 yesterday ... I did also go down to the furniture store to check out bookcases as well. Didn't buy any but there are a couple of possibilities :)

message 21: by Barbara ★ (new)

Barbara ★ | 3557 comments I went to a library used book sale on Friday night and got 53 books - mostly paperbacks for $0.25 ea and 10 or so hardcovers for $1. Paid $29. What a deal! now to just find someplace to put them. LOL

message 22: by Mel W (new)

Mel W (melw) | 981 comments Excellent shopping, Barbara! They are not big on library sales here - only one or two public libraries that I know of. Every now and then the community management where I live will hold "Market Days" where residents can sell unwanted belongings, bit like a car boot sale without the cars, and you can usually find someone selling off books. All the good ones go early though :)