Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > What Obama is reading...

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heidi (last edited Aug 25, 2009 10:07AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Slate's already taken this topic and run with it, comparing Obama's summer reading list with Clinton's and Bush's. They also mentioned the obsession started with Kennedy who was a fan of Ian Fleming's James Bond series.

And Barnes & Noble posted his reading list, as well.

It got me thinking - if your reading material was assigned or influenced by your personal PR machine, would you be okay with it? Would you demand to read what YOU enjoy? Is there a happy medium?

message 2: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I would read more Twilight and Outlander to get the chicks.

message 3: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments You're such a guy.

message 4: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) That's like the dog chasing the car -- what would he do if he caught it?

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I don't think Obama's reading list looks all that different from what it would have otherwise. He has proven that he's well read. Hot, Flat, and Overcrowded is in line with stuff he was spotted reading before the election. I think it shows he wants to know more than what he might get from advisors. He wants to read about the trends that non-politicians are seeing.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I gave my mom Hot, Flat and Crowded for Christmas. It made a big impact on her. But not enough to get her stop buying bottled water. :\

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments She buys those plastic-wrapped pallets of 20 or so bottles at Costco. Which bugs me in all kinds of ways. She does recycle them, at least.

Maybe if I got her a fancy metal water bottle she could refill herself at the tap, and keep in the refrigerator?

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Get her a couple of them Jackie, they have come way down in price.

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Would it help to show her the data about plastics leeching into water? Obviously you wouldn't heat up a plastic water bottle on purpose, but you have no idea how how it got on their travels from factory to store.

That's all it took to convince my mom. Metal or glass for her now.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments In a hot car, plastic water bottles heat up quite a lot, Sarah Pi. In fact, Mom was complaining on her last visit about just that. She climbed into her hot car, grabbed the water bottle she'd left there in the cup holder, and took a swig, and then was surprised when it was HOT water.

message 11: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2009 11:46AM) (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Yeah, I agree. I was just saying that even if you control the temperature while the bottle is in your possession (which some don't), you don't have control of what happened before you bought it. Either way, more chemicals you don't want to ingest.

message 12: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 74 comments I bought this Thermos http://www.thermos.com/Product_detail...
I live in Texas and you can't run around doing errands all day or shopping without coming out to your car and find that your water is boiling hot. This kept my water ice cold all summer (even in the oven which was my car) Well worth the $18 I paid for it!!

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Thanks, Melissa!

message 14: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I'm on a three bottle system now, two metal, one the safe plastic. I keep two in the fridge and one with me. Works out well.

message 15: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 74 comments Thanks! If you like it, I bought mine at Target so you can prob find it there. In the section with all the workout stuff (sporting goods). It's great you won't regret it!

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I wonder if Obama knows that HE is on MY reading list right now. I'm reading Dreams From My Father. Its a personal memoir from 1995 (before there was talk of him being the president).

I don't often read memoirs, so its going a little slow for me, but I'll probably finish it before the next presidential election (haha).

message 17: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I LOVE to read biographies and autobiographies. People can sometimes be so much more interesting than fiction because they and the events and people in their lives are real... really real.

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments During the Baltimore Book Festival, a local group is going to have a stage of dramatic readings from writers' favorite celebrity autobiographies. They held auditions Monday night. I really wanted to go, but I had promised my sister I'd go to her poker night. I was torn between reading from I Am Spock and Backstage Passes Life on the Wild Side with David Bowie.

message 19: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments OH! I hope you went with the Bowie book (glad Jackie's not here).

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I went to poker night instead. I'll report back on the quality of readings at the book festival. If we're lucky, they'll come in costume.

message 21: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (stephenT) He is probably reading How to be President and not Go Insane

message 22: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1107 comments Is there such a book? I need to read it since I'm planning to be a good world dominating person.

message 23: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (stephenT) If there isn't, there should be. I think being president would be the most terrible job in the world. Even Obama is starting to look older. Why? Probably knowing all the nastiness going on in the world, all the problems, and all the pressure just sucks the life right out of you.

message 24: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1107 comments I know..it's a wonder why anyone wants to be president of a democratic country. Do one thing and people hate you, and OTHER people hate you if you do another.

message 25: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1107 comments Oops, gtg.

message 26: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24073 comments Mod
The president took his daughters, Malia and Sasha, along on a shopping run to a bookstore a few blocks from the White House.

He says he made the visit because it's "small business Saturday" and he wanted to support a small business.

The Obamas walked out with a selection of books including "The Invention of Hugo Cabret," ''Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Cabin Fever" and "Descent into Chaos: The U.S. and the Disaster in Pakistan, Afghanistan, and Central Asia."

message 27: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I have read Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Cabin Fever, and I approve.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.