Feminist Science Fiction & Fantasy discussion

Free Sci-fi Novel!!!

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kevis (new)

Kevis Hendrickson (kevishendrickson) Get Your Free Copy of ROGUE HUNTER!

I would like to announce that for a limited-time only my new science fiction adventure novel Rogue Hunter is now free at Smashwords in the following digital formats: Kindle (mobi), epub, pdf, rtf, lrf, palm doc, and plain text. Just click on the link below to get your free copy of Rogue Hunter and start reading today!

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/...

Customer reviews:

"A fascinating sci-fi adventure novel from an extremely talented and imaginative author."—Red Adept, Book Reviewer

"A complex and gripping series."—Beth A, Amazon Customer

"If you're a space-opera fan this is a great book for your collection."—Liannalama, Amazon customer

message 2: by Stasa (new)

Stasa | 8 comments Mod
I know authors rarely get to choose our covers, but I must say, this one makes me go, "Ick!"

Can you tell us something about what makes this book feminist?

Thanks,
Stasa

message 3: by Kevis (last edited Aug 26, 2009 12:08PM) (new)

Kevis Hendrickson (kevishendrickson) Hi Stasa,

I guess it's not hard to tell from the cover of Rogue Hunter that its author, in this case me, is a guy. I'm not afraid to say that I love looking at beautiful woman. Without a doubt, it is my intention to represent the character on the cover, Zyra, as an attractive woman. However, Zyra's beauty is only one aspect of who she is.

The reason why I call my book a feminist novel is for the reasons defined in this group. Zyra is not your typical "Dale Arden" or "Jane of the Jungle" damsel-in-distress figure or a male ornament as women are often showcased in many sci-fi novels. Zyra is a smart, strong, self-reliant, and complex character who thrives on making her own rules in life and not subscribing to the typical submissive female roles that others would impose on her. If she were otherwise, she probably wouldn't have chosen bounty hunting as a profession.

Despite the fact that every woman who has reviewed my book have said that they enjoyed reading it, I have been getting mixed feedback from women about the cover. Some women say that they like the cover. Others tell me that they don't like it. I guess it ultimately depends on your point of view and personal taste.

I am not one of those authors who thinks he is above scrutiny and am taking the necessary steps to ensure that the cover illustrations for the rest of the books in this series is a little less controversial. With that said, I hope you and others would look past the cover and give my book a chance.

Since Rogue Hunter is currently being offered for free, I would love for you to read it and let me know if you think I am misrepresenting my book. The very reason my book is free is so that I can get some constructive criticism on Rogue Hunter from women in particular. Hopefully, you and everyone else will discover that there is more to my book than the risque cover. Thanks for the interest!