Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > What can be done?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bennet (new)

Bennet | 15 comments I was trying to do some low-level clean up as I was browsing yesterday (updating cover images mostly, I'm new and slowly learning the ropes) and I came across this book, which has seven editions: http://www.goodreads.com/work/edition...

Edition #1 looks like the publication year was entered as the ISBN, although it is a viable ISBN for this book: http://www.librarything.com/work/3796479. Should I remove the ISBN? Also, can this edition be merged with any of the others?

Next, edition #4 has no information other than it was published in 1988 by Dutton, but there are two other editions with unique ISBNs listed published in 1988 by Dutton. Can edition #4 be merged with either of the other two editions, and if so which one?

Finally, since it seems like this might be easier if some more research was done on the different editions, how would other people try to find out more info? Google searches on the publishers/author/title? Any tricks of the trade?

I know this isn't as big as some of the messes other librarians have had to clean up, so hopefully someone can shed some light on any improvements that can be made on this title.

message 2: by Melody (new)

Melody (runningtune) | 13258 comments I deleted one of them and someone else beat me to the other. Should be correct now.

message 3: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41713 comments Mod
Re #1: That's creative! Gone. (And never trust LibraryThing's book data. I don't know what their cleanup procedures are, but in many cases their data is worse than Amazon's. Which is saying something!)

#4 can be merged with whichever Dutton book looks more likely. If they're equal, pick your favorite, flip a coin, etc. If they cared which one they'd have picked it!

Google Books and regular Google are good for research. So is WorldCat. B&N and Powell's are also helpful in some cases.

message 4: by Bennet (new)

Bennet | 15 comments Thanks Melody and rivka! Also thanks for the research tips!

message 5: by Bennet (new)

Bennet | 15 comments Sorry, I see this should have been posted in the "please delete this book" thread. Reading through that was helpful to see what needed to be done.

message 6: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41713 comments Mod
No worries. Librarians who ask questions while learning are well worth an extra thread or two. :)