Horror Aficionados discussion

Novels > The Horror Aficiondos Passport

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (liquidazrael) | 712 comments I wouldn't be able to pick books, but maybe authors would be a better choice since we could argue about what books would make up the passport check list.

message 3: by Lori (last edited Aug 25, 2009 09:43AM) (new)

Lori (barfield) | 1692 comments Ten books is a hard thing to do. I agree authors might be easier. But i'm going to think on it, and get back to you later.

message 4: by Kristen (new)

Kristen (ravenskya) William has a pretty good list

Though I think it needs a terrible book on it - something to show we suffered for our status... that we were willing to sit through vile garbage to sort out the gems from the dreck.

message 5: by William (new)

William (acknud) For awful, how about The Lair of the White Worm? I couldn't make it through it and it is a short one!

message 6: by Paul (new)

Paul | 123 comments Yes William, that was really bad. Although I think I'd have classed that as Gothic, like Castle Otranto and so on.

message 7: by Raistlin (new)

Raistlin | 4 comments here mine 1 survivor 2 American psycho 3 endless night 4 books of blood 5 suffer the flesh 6 flesh Gothic 7 after midnight 8 apeshit 9 Halloween 10 psycho

message 8: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Some of these are classic horror, some aren't but stayed with me long after I read them. There are many more I could have listed, but these are some favorites. They're in no particular order.

1) The Stand
2) World War Z
3) Surivor
4) Naomi's Room
5) Boy's Life
6) The Haunting of Hill House
7) Infected
8) The Cannibal Within
9) The Ruins
10) Off Season

message 9: by Carl (new)

Carl I. | 608 comments Let's try a different sort of thread! I saw it on a Fantasy board and I LOVE the way they do it. 10 is s tough number for anybody to come up with, and doing a list like this works pretty darn tooting well.

message 10: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Thanks, Jerry. Ten of my faves.

message 11: by Carl (new)

Carl I. | 608 comments I started that other thread, but I am also going to give this one a whirl!

Carrion Comfort - Dan Simmons
Swans Song - Robert McCammon
Psycho - Robert Bloch
The Best Of H.P. Lovecraft - H.P. Lovecraft
The Bridge - Skipp And Spector
Collected Ghost Stories - M.R. James
The Girl Next Door - Jack Ketchum
I Am Legend - Richard Matheson
John Dies At The End - James Wong
The Bighead - Ed Lee

I put Lee in the end there since this list is supposed to show all the different styles, right? I'm not as fan of his really, but there is no doubt that book REALLY threw the gauntlet down and dared the future authors to pick it up.

message 12: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments With Bighead Lee threw down the gauntlet and I almost threw up. I can't get that disgusting book out of my head!

message 13: by Lori (last edited Aug 30, 2009 06:54PM) (new)

Lori (barfield) | 1692 comments

1-The Stand - Stephen King

2-IT - King

3-Watchers - Dean Koontz

4-One Door Away From Heaven - Koontz

5-The Thief Of Always - Clive Barker

6-The Talisman - King & Peter Straub

7-Dragonlance Chronicles - Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman

8-Insomnia - King

9-The Husband - Koontz

10-The Gunslinger series -King

Thats harder than you think it's going to be!

message 14: by Chris (last edited Sep 03, 2009 04:48AM) (new)

Chris (flahorrorwriter) | 2867 comments Interesting topic. Agree with most titles listed. I would include Succubi by Edward Lee (now don't groan and roll your eyes, Tressa lol)...

message 15: by Chris (new)

Chris (flahorrorwriter) | 2867 comments I'd say he did his job...but that's just ME! :P

Tressa wrote: "With Bighead Lee threw down the gauntlet and I almost threw up. I can't get that disgusting book out of my head!"

message 16: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Chris, have you read The Summer I Died? I think you'd enjoy that very, very much. But don't look for an old lady with a colostomy bag, she's not there. But lots of other fun things are! :)

message 17: by Chris (new)

Chris (flahorrorwriter) | 2867 comments I have heard it mentioned here before....I will look for it (although no colostomy bag sex is a tad bit disappointing lol)...

message 18: by Anna (new)

Anna (stregamari) | 252 comments Thanks to Tressa, I can't get "bighead" out of my head either, and I didn't even read the book! just her description and review. ugh! I have backwoods in my bag to read next, but keep putting it off.

message 19: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Annna, please read Bighead and tell me what you think.

message 20: by Chris (new)

Chris (flahorrorwriter) | 2867 comments LOL!!!

message 21: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments What are you laughing at, psychopath? I want an honest opinion.

message 22: by Chris (last edited Sep 05, 2009 07:38AM) (new)

Chris (flahorrorwriter) | 2867 comments Ummm, okay. I hope to have another Lee convert very very soon!

message 23: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Anna works in a hospital. I'm sure Bighead won't gross her out if she's had the same experiences as my nurse sister. You just might have a convert after all.

message 24: by Chris (new)

Chris (flahorrorwriter) | 2867 comments Oh, goodie! ;) I am hurt that you think of me as a psychopath...unless you mean psycho/acolyte for Edward Lee, then, okay! :P

message 25: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments If you're a psychopath then so am I because I enjoy some of the same books and movies as you do. You know I luv ya, Chris.

message 26: by Chris (new)

Chris (flahorrorwriter) | 2867 comments I know and you rock, too, Tressa! By the way....that's an excellent Koontz book you're reading...my favorite of his!

message 27: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Woke up this morning at 3:30 for some reason, so I went to lie on the couch and read Strangers. It is a good book and I didn't want to put it down. I don't know anything about it, so I have no idea what's going to happen to these people.

message 28: by Anna (new)

Anna (stregamari) | 252 comments Tressa wrote: "Annna, please read Bighead and tell me what you think. "

I'm waiting for "bighead" (that doesn't sound right...) from paperbackswap, I'm about 7 on the list for the next one

message 29: by Chris (new)

Chris (flahorrorwriter) | 2867 comments Anna, good for you! Hope it happens soon....I take it this'll be your first Ed Lee novel? If so, it is pretty hardcore...just an FYI...

message 30: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments It's so funny, but I just finished a hardcore book called The Summer I Died. It had a castration in it, flesh burnings, appendage loppings. You name it, it had it. But I enjoyed that one.

There's just something about Bighead that turns my stomach. I still think of him slurping that stuff out of the girl's bellybutton and I want to hurl everytime I recall it. I'm bending over my waste basket as I type.

message 31: by Chris (new)

Chris (flahorrorwriter) | 2867 comments Okay, well, I need to Represent here lol...so I will post my list later today or tomorrow...

message 32: by Chris (new)

Chris (flahorrorwriter) | 2867 comments Pet Semetary by King
The Shining by King
'Salem's Lot by King
Watchers by Koontz
Phantoms by Koontz
Succubi by Edward Lee
The Dark by James Herbert
Ghoul by Brian Keene
"Pine Deep" trilogy by Jonathan Maberry
Cabal by Clive Barker
The Travelling Vampire Show by Laymon
Goat Dance by Douglas Clegg

message 33: by Chris (new)

Chris (flahorrorwriter) | 2867 comments I know I listed three King novels and two DK ones but I felt that these novels heavily influenced me as a horror reader and writer...and some of the newer authors' books I listed I felt are my favorites so far and had the biggest impression on me.

message 34: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Seth, I'm a big fan of Siddons' The House Next Door.

Chris, I recently listened to The Shining on audio and am blown away all over again at what an amazing story that is. I haven't read it in so long and the movie sort of muddled its greatness in my head over the years, but it is a perfect, well written, terrifying ghost story. King was truly at the top of his game back in the Carrie/Salem's Lot/The Shining/The Stand days.

message 35: by Chris (new)

Chris (flahorrorwriter) | 2867 comments Agreed. I was lucky enough to get an ARC of Under the Dome a few days ago. I'll read it soon...early buzz is that it will blow King fans away...

Tressa wrote: "Seth, I'm a big fan of Siddons' The House Next Door.

Chris, I recently listened to The Shining on audio and am blown away all over again at what an amazing story that is. I haven't read it in so ..."

message 36: by Lori (new)

Lori (barfield) | 1692 comments Hay Tressa, what did you think of Watchers? It must have been good for you to start on Stangers. :o)

message 37: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Lori, I haven't read Watchers yet. I'm still on Strangers. Can't seem to find the time in the evenings to read as much as I want. Too tired or too much to do.

message 38: by Lori (new)

Lori (barfield) | 1692 comments My bad. I thought you started Watchers first. Well i'll get back to you when your finished with Stangers.

message 39: by Charles (new)

Charles (tonalized) | 16 comments 1.Carrie - King
2.I am Legend - Matheson
3.Hell House - Matheson
4.Salem's Lot - King
5.Books of Blood - Barker
6.Night Shadow - Lisiewski
7.The Bad Place - Koontz
8.Bloodcurdling Tales of Horror and the Macabre - H P Lovecraft
9.The Best of Edgar Allen Poe
10.The Dark Tower Series - King

message 40: by Chris (new)

Chris (flahorrorwriter) | 2867 comments Great choices, Charles!

message 41: by Ray (new)

Ray (woadwarrior) | 7 comments I put this list together for another thread, but I'd want my horror passport stamped with these as well:

The Shining by Stephen King
Pet Sematary by Stephen King
The Books of Blood by Clive Barker
Dracula by Bram Stoker
The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson
Fear of Gravity by Brian Keene
various short stories by Thomas Ligotti
The Case of Charles Dexter Ward by H.P. Lovecraft
American Gods by Neil Gaiman
Some of the early stories in The King in Yellow by Robert Chambers

message 42: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I've read a lot of Keene's books, but have never heard of Fear of Gravity. Might check that out.

message 43: by Chris (new)

Chris (flahorrorwriter) | 2867 comments Tressa, it is his short story collection, only available in hardcover but probably out of print by now. I bought mine years ago shortly after reading The Rising and becoming a Keene fan...

message 44: by Ray (new)

Ray (woadwarrior) | 7 comments Chris wrote: "Tressa, it is his short story collection, only available in hardcover but probably out of print by now. I bought mine years ago shortly after reading The Rising and becoming a Keene fan..."

Tressa and Chris, my copy of Fear of Gravity is a paperback edition from Delirium Books. But it does look like it may be out of print now. Only available from third party sellers on Amazon.

message 45: by Chris (new)

Chris (flahorrorwriter) | 2867 comments At least you have a copy...although perhaps Leisure will reissue it in massmarket since Keene is one of their top authors in the horror line...I was fortunate enough years ago to buy my hardcover from Shocklines, back when I first discovered Keene...