European Royalty discussion

European Royalty Discussions > If I Were Producing a Movie about Jane Grey...

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robin (last edited Aug 28, 2009 06:28AM) (new)

Robin | 298 comments I did this over in the R3 forum about "if I was producing a movie about R3" and had a lot of fun with it so I thought I would try it with a different historical character.

Since there's really only one movie about Lady Jane Grey (and its not very accurate from what I've heard), I thought "what if?" Here are my picks for some of the roles, though there are several still blank as that's what was in my head when I tried to think of a suitable actor or actress for that part. Hahaha! Please give any suggestions and I'll add them to my post on my blog! :)

Jane Grey (child) - Abigail Breslin Elle Fanning

Jane Grey (older) -Ellen Page (I think she could pull this off)

Frances Brandon - Claire Forlani

Henry Grey - Daniel Craig (yes...he would look good in doublet and hose!)

John Dudley, Duke of Northumberland - Hugh Laurie (I love him...)

Guildford Dudley -Daniel Radcliff

Princess Mary - Charlotte Gainsbourg

Queen Catherine Parr -

Princess Elizabeth - Evan Rachel Wood (Wish I could put Cate Blanchett here since she did such a great job in her movies)

Thomas Seymour - Jude Law

Henry VIII - Ray Winstone (He did so good when he played this role in another movie and he could pull off a very sick and fat Henry!)

Edward VI - Freddie Highmore

message 2: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (danielledore) I like your pic for henry III and princess Elizabeth...Im trying to think of others for your blanks but I can't think of any at the moment... Ill get back to you :)

message 3: by Angie (new)

Angie | 34 comments Great discussion! I have a few ideas:

Frances Brandon - Claire Forlani

Henry Grey - Daniel Craig (I'd love to see him in doublet and hose)

I'll have a think on the rest and have to get back to you! So many great English actors to choose from.

message 4: by Robin (new)

Robin | 298 comments Ohh...I like those suggestions. I will add them to my list and make the changes (including adding pictures) over at my blog.

almostcrazymommy.blogspot.com

message 5: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (danielledore) ooh daniel craig!

message 6: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Moody | 544 comments I love these threads!
Casting my own movie is so satisfying :)

Look at Rachelle Lefevre for Elizabeth, I think she'd be PERFECT.
And Elle Fanning (Dakota's younger sister) for a young Jane - she has a more "delicate" look than Abigail Breslin that I think suits Jane's character better.

For Thomas Seymore what about Jude Law? So cute. Or Sean Bean, though he may be a little old...

For Catherine Parr i think Kate Winslet would be perfect.

I like Charlotte Gainsbourg for The Princess Mary.

Shouldn't we be casting Edward? I know he'd be a child, and only in the movie for a short time before he died, but it seems like he should be there...
Freddie Highmore is awesome - we could dye his hair blond for the movie :)

message 7: by Robin (last edited Aug 27, 2009 06:56AM) (new)

Robin | 298 comments Oops...I had Edward in there when I typed it originally! I'll get him back in there!

Would Kate Winslet be old enough for Catherine Parr by this point in history? Wasn't she in her late 30s?

Love the suggestions! Off to make the changes here and at my blog!

message 8: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Kate Winslet could probably pull off Catherine Parr - I think she's 33 which isn't too far off. Did you see her in The Reader? She looked considerably older than her little boy toy so she could probably pull off the mother figure for the teenage Jane, Elizabeth and Edward.

I think Ellen Page would be great as Jane.

Mmmmm....Daniel Craig....yummy! ;)

What about that blond bad boy from Harry Potter for Edward (the character is Draco Malfoy - not sure of the actor)? He looks pale and sickly enough, and I'm sure he could play a gentler character like Edward.

How old was Thomas Seymour at this time? Jude Law popped into my head too, but he might be a tad young (how old is Jude Law btw?). I may be thinking Thomas was older than he actually was at the time though. The guys always seem older to me for some reason, and then they end up being in their mid-30s! Must be all those titles.

I like this game! Great thread!

message 9: by Robin (new)

Robin | 298 comments Thanks Sara! I did one of these for R3 too! Its posted over at the R3 group (and on my blog...with pictures).

message 10: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Moody | 544 comments Catherine Parr was born in 1512, she was 35 when Henry died.
Thomas Seymore was born in 1508, he was 39 when Henry died.

Kate Winslet is 34 (or will be on October 5) and Jude Law will be 37 in December.

The blond kid from Harry Potter is a good actor for Edward!

message 11: by Robin (new)

Robin | 298 comments I will add Jude Law to my list.

What is that actor's name you're thinking of Mandy?

message 12: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannahr) Robin wrote: "I will add Jude Law to my list.

What is that actor's name you're thinking of Mandy?"

Hi! I'm not Mandy, but the actor who plays Draco Malfoy in HP is Tom Felton, and he would be a great cast pick for Edward!

message 13: by Robin (new)

Robin | 298 comments So what do y'all think...Freddie Highmore or Tom Felton?

message 14: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments I don't know who Freddie Highmore is. What is he in?

Wow, Jude Law is definitely older than I thought.

message 15: by Nona (new)

Nona (goodreadscomnona) | 145 comments Freddie Highmore is the little boy with freckles across his nose that stars with Johnny Depp in Finding NeverLand.

message 16: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Thanks Nona!

message 17: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Moody | 544 comments He was also in the Spiderwick Chronicles. Google him - he's a cutie. Sort of skinny and frail looking - good for Edward.
Though not as pale (and not blond) like Tom Felton!

message 18: by Angie (new)

Angie | 34 comments I say Freddie, Felton is too old! It could also be Thomas Sangster from Nanny McPhee and Love, Acutally. He's already fair haired and looks a bit delicate as I imagine Edward to have been. I think that Felton would make a better Guilford. As he is portrayed as a mommas boy and a big snot. I love Charlotte and her English accent is wonderful but how about Helena Bonham Carter? She would be a good Mary, she may be a bit old, but could definitely pull off the Catholic spinster. Winslet is an inspired choice for Catherine Parr. Thomas Seymour has always been dark and swarthy in my mind how about James Frain...you've seen him in a ton of stuff you just don't know who he is... IMDB.