Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Will swine flu infect half the nation?/Serious mongers discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 134 (134 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/08/24/...

Save your sick days...this is a little scary...and I can already see schools in a tough spot...you don't want anyone sick in class but you don't want to panic...

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I guess we're ahead of the curve on this one.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments For most people, they still say it's not going to be any different than an ordinary flu.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Wasn't for my son.

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Your son got it but it wasn't different, Jim?

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

That's correct Sarah, didn't seem any different from any other flu.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

When he went in for his sports physical his doctor told him he would not get it again, and he should consider himself lucky because the next round would probably be worse.

message 8: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17320 comments Mod
Didn't you already have it too, RA?

message 9: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments No, I didn't have it, Sally, but Wisconsin had more cases than anywhere in the nation, I guess...

message 10: by Lori (new)

Lori Get ready everyone God's judgment day is upon us!

message 11: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Lori wrote: "Get ready everyone God's judgment day is upon us!"

Just as it is every day, Lori.

message 12: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments how do they come up with these 90k dead numbers? how many actually died from it the first go around in the US?

message 13: by Lori (new)

Lori Larry wrote: "Lori wrote: "Get ready everyone God's judgment day is upon us!"

Just as it is every day, Lori.

"

That's very Carlos Casteneda of you, Larry. :)

message 14: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) OMG I had forgotten all about him. But yes ... you're right.

message 15: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments and now we are to believe that almost half of the pop could be infected and 90k die??

this is like the Y2K of viruses

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments And most of those who've died have been in populations that are normally at risk. The exception that I've heard is a higher than usual mortality rate for pregnant women.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I think I had it already, too. I caught a really nasty flu bug on my way home from Buenos Aires right around the time swine flu was starting to make headlines.
Maybe it's no worse as regular flu, but the catch is, it will infect way more people because we haven't already been exposed to it.

So, it will affect productivity in the workplace, and tax the health care system with all those sick people. And, more people will die than usual because of flu this year. It will be a sad fall and winter, I think.

message 18: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments yeah, that makes sense. 20k -40k die every year now to some sort of flu?

message 19: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments geesh.

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments What a great time to be taking a 20 hour flight! I'm going to make extra sure to take my vitamins.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Sarah Pi wrote: "What a great time to be taking a 20 hour flight! I'm going to make extra sure to take my vitamins. "

Where ya going?

message 22: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments 20 hour flight????? whereyagoing? whereyagoing? whereyagoing?

message 23: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments South Africa again. Hooray!
This means I won't get to go to the World Cup, but it's probably better to go when the country isn't busting at its seams with tourists.

message 24: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments wow. i am jealous. thanks SP. you made me be guilty of the sin of envy.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm jealous too Sarah, have a great time. I'll watch the World Cup with you in the states.

message 26: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Excellent, Jim. We'll have better seats than we would if we tried to get into the matches there anyhow. The best I had been hoping for was to watch from pubs in country, but SA isn't really known for their pubs anyhow.

Sorry to make you envious, Kevin. If it makes you feel better, I'm pretty sure there's a whole list of places you've gone that I would love to see.

message 27: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments hey, i live through my friends adventures too. i hope everyone gets to go new places and meet new people. what are you going for? your music?

message 28: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2009 12:28PM) (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Naw, just to see stuff I missed last time. Kruger National Park, and maybe Capetown.
And to see my niece, who is 2 1/2 and I still haven't met her yet.

Every time I go I consider booking some shows, but the logistics always make it easier to just ditch that idea in the end.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Give your niece a hug from the TC contingent.

message 30: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (countessofblooms) | 347 comments King Dinösaur wrote: "GAH!!! More scare-mongering...

We were told we'd all die from bird flu, too, you know."

Not to mention SARS.

message 31: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments SARS is the one that genuinely scared me. It hit Toronto (where my mother lives) really hard, and some of her friends actually died of it.
Also, my sister was gallivanting around Asia at the time, ignoring all of the travel advisories.

message 32: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments The scariest part of the swine flu for me is the "children and young adults" part...

I almost went to Toronto for way cheap after SARS...but I was too lazy. Didn't mind the SARS warnings. Just too lazy.

message 33: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Yeah, we're struggling with that with our students, too...I mean, clearly no student has ever faked sick to get out of class...I mean, besides me about 10,000 times, of course...but we have to balance that whole "hold the students accountable" with the "don't come when you're sick" thing. We're erring toward the "let them stay home" side...99% of the students are good people who don't fake sick like I did.

message 34: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments bun - the problem with that is that like FMLA people will totally abuse it. instead of being responsible they will use this to be irresponsible

message 35: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments And what about the new vaccine they are coming out with? We're not sure if we should give that to our daughter. The whole idea of vaccines really bothers me.

message 36: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) Tests on the vaccine so far have produced no worrisome side effects, just the usual temporary soreness at the vaccination site.

message 37: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I can't get any flu/mmr vaccinations - they're incubated in egg embryos... and I'm allergic. I get baaaad sick with the innoculations the times I have gotten them.

message 38: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) There will always be a small segment of the population that reacts badly to anything. No vaccine or medicine is 100 percent safe for 100 percent of the people. But vaccinations are safe for the vast majority of the population (and, no, they don't cause autism), and if enough people get vaccinated, that also can prevent those who can't be vaccinated from getting sick. It's when people who can safely be vaccinated panic and stop getting them that we see resurgences of diseases like measles — which has made a comeback in the area and killed children where I live because our vaccination rates are low.

Of course, I am not an epidemiologist. Just a journalist who writes about public health, so take anything I say with the appropriate grain of salt.

message 39: by Heidi (last edited Aug 25, 2009 03:29PM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Well, the good thing is I haven't been sick with the flu, the measles, the mumps, rubella, German measles, chicken pox or anything else like that since my vaccinations (last one was over 15 years ago) - no vaccination necessary.

::knocks on wood::

message 40: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Sooo... are you saying I should be getting the vaccinations anyway? Confused now! :(

message 41: by Heidi (last edited Aug 25, 2009 03:38PM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Ahh. I mean, cuz I'll get sick if it means no one else has to deal with my miserable state of flu... I don't mind (really, I do).

It's part of the reason I'm pretty thorough about cleaning my hands at work and in public places... and if I feel myself getting sick, I'll get extra rest and water until I'm sure I'll stay well. I haven't called in sick to work in 2 1/2 years.

message 42: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) BunWat said: "If you can't get flu vaccinations without getting sick from the egg, then its up to the rest of us who don't get sick to get em so you are at less risk of being exposed."

Yes. This is the point I was trying to make.

message 43: by Sally, la reina (new)

I have a really strict attendance policy in my classes. No more than four absences or I drop their grade by a letter. most of them use those four in the first month and then beg for excuses. I'm considering just allowing sicknesses this year as I do not want them to be transmitting things to each other in my class.

message 44: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments BunWat wrote: "Ppppoooor Heidi. With all the martyr face... ;)"

>:/

message 45: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) You made it more succinctly. ;)

message 46: by Sally, la reina (new)

Somebody already mentioned above what freaks me out about swine flu: that it's the kids and young adults who are more susceptible to it, that old people and those who would normally be high risk have stronger antibodies already.

message 47: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Yes, but do I need to get the vaccine?!! You gals are freakin' me out here!

message 48: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments I always get pretty sick whenever I get flu shots, etc. And the years that I have gotten them are the years that I've also had the flu really bad. Last year I didn't get any and other than normal bouts of winter colds & the like I did much better.

Maybe it's psychosomatic... :)

message 49: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Maybe you're allergic to embryotic carriers too, Sherrie!

message 50: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments I agree with Bun, don't freak out over this Heidi. Just do what you always do & you'll prolly be great.

I never even thought about being allergic to embryotic carriers... is it just eggs? I know I'm not allergic to eggs. It's more likely that I just have some weirdness going on in my system, cause that always seems to be the case. When you have chronic immune system issues they can manifest in strange ways.

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.