SA Book & Challenge Lovers discussion

Other Discussions & Chats > Your definition of 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12633 comments Mod
Everyone sees the 5 star rating differently. How do you see it?

message 2: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12633 comments Mod
Here is mine

5 - LOVED it
4 - Liked it a lot
3 - Liked it / Average / So-so / Entertaining
2 - Whyyyyyyyy...
1 - Pass me the gun please

message 3: by Monique (new)

Monique | 34 comments My five is the same as yours.

Lauren (Sugar & Snark) | 1262 comments Mod
I wish the star rating was out of 10 I often give a book 4 stars but I really think it deserves 3 1/2 it should go.

5- LOVED IT
4- LIKED IT A LOT
3.5- LIKED IT
3- AVERAGE
2- NOT GOOD
1-HORRIBLE

But lets be honest nothing I rate will ever be a 2 or 1 because I have the good sense to just stop reading if it is bad!

message 5: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12633 comments Mod
I'm a incurable optimist, i always think that maybe it will improve :(

message 6: by Monique (new)

Monique | 34 comments I have to finish it when I start it! Can't help it, even if it sucks, the only book I've started and not finished was the Original Scroll of Jack Kerouac's On the Road...

message 7: by Lauren (Sugar & Snark) (last edited Aug 25, 2009 06:40AM) (new)

Lauren (Sugar & Snark) | 1262 comments Mod
No I have A.D.D. If it doesn't grab me straight away I can always think of 10 other books I would rather be reading and just move on. Thats why I can't get through uglies, which is not cool cause its messing up my word of the month :(

message 8: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith 5 stars - I loved reading the book, I thought the writing was impressive, the ideas were intriguing, the characters were awesome.
4 stars - similar to 5, but lacking in one of those aspects somehow.
3 - average. Sometimes more complex novels end up here and I feel they deserve a better rating, but because I didn't actually enjoy them that much, I drop my rating. I'd probably raise it after a close re-read and some interesting essays/analyses.
2 - ok. Usually easy reads that were mildly entertaining but otherwise lame. Also more complex stuff that probably deserves a better rating but I can't be bothered to give them another chance.
1 - complete and utter rubbish that should never have been published. I hated reading it and the quality was terrible.

message 9: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 4434 comments Mod
I have a slightly different opinion about the stars:
5 stars: Books I loved and would recommend for various reasons to friends. Sometimes the reason why I would recommend it are a bit obscure, but I will tell you if you ask me.
4 stars: Loved the book, would reread it, but maybe not recommend it to others.
3 stars: Enjoyed the book, wouldn't reread it but had fun reading it.
2 stars: I'm glad I took the time to read the book, so I know about it, but would rather have read something els
1 star: A complete waste of time, paper and energy, cannot understand why the thing was ever published.
I always try to end a book I started. I'm still trying to read Moby Dick which I started over 10 years ago and I still haven't finished it(so far i consider it a 1 star book), but I'm getting there and since people who are important to me say they like the book I'm still reading it and I'm not giving up!

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Lu wrote: "Here is mine

5 - LOVED it
4 - Liked it a lot
3 - Liked it / Average / So-so / Entertaining
2 - Whyyyyyyyy...
1 - Pass me the gun please"

Yip... rate the same