Nonfiction Ghost Books discussion

Fiction ghost books?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christy (new)

Christy Stewart (christyleighstewart) This group is about nonfiction, but does anyone have any good suggestions for ghost fiction?

message 2: by Pamela (last edited Dec 31, 2009 01:02PM) (new)

Pamela | 180 comments Mod
I also write fictional ghost stories too. Check my books, to see any of mine. Also one of my fictional ghost stories is in an anthology, World Outside the Window and in another, Northern Haunts: 100 Terrifying New England Tales, edited by Timothy Deal.

message 3: by Pamela (new)

Also one novel I still like to read (and only one to scare me in daylight in classroom full of middle schoolers) is The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson.

message 4: by Pamela (new)

Forgot this, and I have a story, "Plagued" in it. Travel Guide Through the Haunted Mid-Atlantic Region anthology. Also, Bram Stoker winning horror author Elizabeth Massie has a story in it and more. http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/29...

message 5: by Pamela (new)

A good fiction ghost story is Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson.

message 6: by Julie (new)

Julie (altbreed) | 7 comments I love Shirley Jackson's book! So much better to read it in the dark, in the night :)

message 7: by Pamela (new)

It was the only scary fiction book that scared me in the daylight, in a room full of 8th graders. Everyone else had to do it at night--like King's It and Salem's Lot.
The 1963 version of the the movie is good too--close to the book.

message 8: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 5 comments It's a children's book, but I LOVED The Ghost Next Door by Wiley St. John

message 9: by Mary (new)

Mary (madamefifi) A Winter Haunting by Dan Simmons. Scary!

message 10: by Pamela (last edited Dec 30, 2009 09:29AM) (new)

Thanks, Mary. That was on my to want list.

message 11: by Pam (new)

Pam | 2 comments I like Dean Koontz's Odd Thomas series.

message 12: by Pamela (new)

I have those books, Pam.

message 13: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) The Ghost in the Third Row, again, a children's book, but this series by Bruce Coville was cute.

message 14: by Pam (last edited Dec 31, 2009 01:57PM) (new)

Pam | 2 comments This well-written children's book takes a look at why a ghost and the child the ghost has 'befriended' are brought together. It reads more real than many fiction ghost stories, as it looks more into human relations than fear factors. Helen and Heather have much in common. Helen is a ghost and Heather is Molly and Tim's new step-sister.

Sibling rivalry and "Yours, Mine, and Ours" conflicts are normal in any marriage that attempts to merge two families into one. Add to the mix an unhappy ghost and you have a good read. I think older elementary and middle school age kids will enjoy this book.