Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Delete cover without replacing?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather | 44 comments Is there a way to delete the cover of a book without replacing it?

http://www.goodreads.com/book/edit/54... clearly has the wrong cover. I'd like to at least take off the wrong cover, even if I don't have the energy to go find the right one. (Title probably needs correcting, etc., and I just want to take the small step of getting the wrong cover off.)

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2409 comments Heather, It looks as though the cover is correct but the title is truncated. According to Amazon, it does start out with Beethoven.

message 3: by Heather (new)

Heather | 44 comments Sorry, I suppose by "clearly" I meant "clearly to people who are familiar with Thomas and Finney", which would not be at all clear to people who didn't use any of their calculus textbooks, which would be most of the world. ("I know what I mean, why don't you know what I mean?")

The cover is for a Beethoven string quartet. The book, based on three of the author names, is a calculus book.

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2409 comments Well, yes. You can remove a cover if you're sure it's incorrect. Make sure the book is the one you know. You don't have to add another cover if you don't have access to the correct one.

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42057 comments Mod
Lisa wrote: "You can remove a cover if you're sure it's incorrect. Make sure the book is the one you know."

Not when it's coming from Amazon you can't.

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2409 comments Ah. So, what do we do? We can change to the correct cover if we find it, correct? What about adding one of our generic covers?

message 7: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (theholyterror) | 87 comments What you can do is contact Amazon and tell them their cover is wrong. I've done it in the past. I sent in a request to correct it and it shouldn't take more than a day or so.

message 8: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42057 comments Mod
Yes, yes, and yes. ;)

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2409 comments Thanks Shannon and Rivka. I'll keep that in mind.

message 10: by Melody (new)

Melody (runningtune) | 13258 comments I've been searching but I can't find the thread - but This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For showed us a way to create generic cover images - which you could substitute for the erroneous Amazon cover. If I could find the thread that showed us how to do it ....

message 11: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (seeford) | 579 comments Melody wrote: "I've been searching but I can't find the thread - but This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For showed us a way to create generic cover images - which you could substitute for the erroneous Amazon..."

I believe Rivka put a link to the generic cover program in the first thread: Useful Links for Librarians.

message 12: by Melody (new)

Melody (runningtune) | 13258 comments Yes - it's there. So Heather - you could create a generic cover and upload it to replace the wrong cover. Thanks Carolyn.

message 13: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (ssaccoliti) | 489 comments Rivka posted a zip file at http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

Try this to create a generic book cover.