Boxall's 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die discussion

Archives > Group Shelves!

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimbobo) We can now customize the group shelf into shelves! Please help me start tagging all of these!

Please see this blog post for more info:

http://www.goodreads.com/blog/show/71...

message 2: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimbobo) wow! thank you to everyone who has helped to tag (virtual shelve?) all the books in the bookshelf!!

message 3: by Russ (new)

Russ Is there a way to add a shelf? There is nothing for the 1800s yet.

message 4: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimbobo) yup!, just find an 1800's book and you can click on "add a shelf" it's in green parenthesis after you click "edit".

message 5: by Russ (new)

Russ Thanks for your previous answer...not sure how I missed it. I've shelved quite a few by their century. I wonder if anyone is interested in further shelving (i.e., by country of origin). Thoughts?

message 6: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimbobo) I think that would be great, I tried starting a shelf for "quick reads" since that comes up on the list often. But I haven't been able to really complete it yet...

message 7: by Russ (new)

Russ I'll take a stab at starting it. I think I'll go by the country of birth unless it seems strange to do so. For example, I'll call Thackeray from England even though he was born in India. No one that I know of considers him an "Indian novelist." Of course, if someone disagrees, they can list him on both shelves!

message 8: by Judith (last edited Mar 26, 2008 09:07AM) (new)

Judith (jloucks) | 1203 comments Russ, this sounds reasonable to me. I'm always conflicted when tagging an author like Camus -- country of birth or country lived in the longest or what???

message 9: by Charity (new)

Charity (charityross) If I were looking for Thackeray, I'd look under the Brits. If I were looking for Camus, I'd look under the French. I think most people would consider them writers of the country they are most associated with, not necessarily the country of their origin. In fact, there are a great many people who may not know where a particular author was born when first discovering him/her, so that might lead to some initial confusion.

Also, because Thackeray was born in colonial India (under the British occupation), wouldn't he still be considered British, or at least, a duel citizen? Just curious. I hadn't really given it much thought before Russ brought up this topic.

message 10: by Charity (new)

Charity (charityross) George Orwell was also born in India, but I would not consider him to be an Indian writer.

message 11: by Charity (new)

Charity (charityross) I'm wondering if we might also want to group the U.S. writers geographically as well as a whole. It would be interesting to read authors from the same region to see how their works are alike or different (or even influenced by other authors from their region).

message 12: by Judith (new)

Judith (jloucks) | 1203 comments This is such a great idea, and I am already grateful for all the work all of you have put in! I've been trying to do all this and much more with my personal shelves, so I'll be happy to contribute though I haven't decided where best to "jump in"!

message 13: by Russ (new)

Russ I agree with Charity that authors like Thackeray and Orwell don't belong in the India shelve. It's a bit trickier for people with duel citizenship or who were ex-pats. Also, there are many authors whose work I don't know, and so I tend to shelve them by their birthplace, but someone who knows them may be able to correct me. One of the things I like about the shelves here is the ability to have books shelved in multiple locations.

message 14: by Russ (new)

Russ I think dividing US authors by region would also be interesting, but I'm not sure I have enough knowledge to do it! I decided I would separate Scotland and Ireland from England and not use the term "British" for similar reasons--I think there are some interesting differences.

Another division that might be interesting is to divide the 20th century into decades. There are so many books shelved under 1900s that I'm not sure how helpful it is. If someone wanted to read a book from the 1960s, that shelf wouldn't help them much.

message 15: by Russ (new)

Russ Judith, just jump in anywhere if you want to help out. I started sort of haphazardly, but now I've sorted the list alphabetically by author to go through them. Just jump in anywhere!

message 16: by Judith (new)

Judith (jloucks) | 1203 comments How about adding major awards won such as the Nobel, Pulizer, PEN-Faulkner, Booker, National Book Award....Others? I could work on that if we can agree on which awards to make shelves for. What do you think?

message 17: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (rebsbooks) I like that idea Judith! I'd definitely include those you mentioned.

message 18: by Russ (new)

Russ I like that idea, Judith. I think the major awards for an individual novel are a great idea. The Nobel is given for a body of work, so that one might be trickier, though I suppose you could post all books by a given author on that shelf. There are a few sci-fi books on the list, so you might also consider the Hugo.

message 19: by Charity (new)

Charity (charityross) I really like that idea, Judith. I would definitely use the major awards:

Nobel (like Russ said, granted for that author's canon, but could contain all the books they have on the list)
Pulitzer
National Book Award
National Book Critics Circle Award
Man Booker
PEN/Faulkner

and genre awards:

Hugo
Nebula
Edgar
Bram Stoker

message 20: by Russ (new)

Russ If you don't know this site already, it might be of help to you:

http://www.bookwire.com/otherbooks/Bo...

It's a list of links to the major book awards.

message 21: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (rebsbooks) That is a great site, thanks Russ!

message 22: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (rebsbooks) I'll start with the Pulitzers.

message 23: by Judith (new)

Judith (jloucks) | 1203 comments Charity and Russ: I have a shelf for my books entitled "nobel laureates". How would that work?

Should I ask permission from the group administrator or just assume it is okay to begin?

Thanks, Rebecca, for staring on the Pulitzers!

message 24: by Judith (new)

Judith (jloucks) | 1203 comments Kim, No doubt you are following the thread here and know that some of us think adding notable awards and prizes would be a good idea. I assume you agree.

Now for the embarrassing part. How do you begin to edit the shelves and the book shelves. It may be intuitive to others, but nothing I've tried works!

Slow learner groupie,
Judith

message 25: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimbobo) I think anything to distinguish this HUGE list of books is worthwhile. It would even be nice to see it done by genre (mystery, love story, sci-fi, etc...) Anything that can break down this list into a bunch of smaller lists that people can focus upon.

To edit the shelves, go the the bookshelf link at the top right of this page. Find a book you want to edit. Click on the edit link at the very right of the book's listing. Next to read/to read/currently reading there is a link to "(add a shelf)". Just click on that and describe the shelf name and click create!

message 26: by Judith (last edited Apr 01, 2008 11:03AM) (new)

Judith (jloucks) | 1203 comments Kim, Thanks for the simple instructions. I think I must have tried when I was not signed in because it worked just fine this time.

Now for the bad news. I accidentally deleted two books from the group shelf, I believe. How do I add them back? Again, dumb groupie, here.

The two I think I deleted were "In The Name of the Rose" and "The Virgin Suicides".

So sorry!

message 27: by Steve (new)

Steve Is there any way I can add the whole Group shelf of the 1001 to my own "to read" shelf in one fell swoop? I haven't got the patience to do it one at a time.

Also I was thinking of making a group shelf by breaking out the genre titles on the list, especially the Fantasy and Science fiction, since people were asking for reccomendations in that genre. Could also probably do a nice mystery/Thriller shelf. M'kay?

message 28: by Steve (new)

Steve Oh, Hey, Kim. Thanks for answering my question before I asked it. Guess I should have read all the posts before I asked my dumb questions. Well then I'll go ahead and do an F & SF list if no one else had dibs.

message 29: by Steve (new)

Steve I made a Fantasy & Science Fiction list, but I think it may be a bit unwieldy at 115 titles. Someone please feel free to subdivide it into Fantasy, Science Fiction and perhaps even Horror. I lumped them all together and even threw in a generous amount of Magic Realism because I guess I didn't think the list of 1001 would have that many titles that fit these genres. apparently I was wrong.

I think there are titles that I either included or left off that could be argued for inclusion either way. I hope people will feel free to edit these as they see fit. And maybe we will end up with a healthy debate about genre in the process.

message 30: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimbobo) Nice! I love being psychic! ;)

Judith - I re-added in those books that you accidentally deleted. But for the future...you can just go the the "add books" search box at the lower left hand side of the bookshelf page.