Oly Reads discussion

Book Group Meetings > September Book Group?

Comments (showing 1-31 of 31) (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Agathafrye (new)

Agathafrye | 751 comments Mod
How are collective schedules looking on the weekend of September 26th? Also, are Friday or Sunday nights better for anyone, or should we stick with Saturdays?
Possible locations...
Peppers Mexican
La Taqueria
Cascadia Grill (slightly more spendy, but not too upscale)
Quality Burrito (I could eat here every day...)
Water Street (spendy but good)
Fish Tale (I could try to reserve part of the upstairs)

Other suggestions? Let me know.

message 2: by Raina (new)

Raina | 106 comments Mod
Any time on that weekend works for me. And as long as we meet at 6 or later, the day doesn't matter.
Peppers - I'm eager to try it since they've moved to their current location - I LOVE their salsa verde, but haven't been there for a very long time.
La Taqueria - sounds good - I hear they're highly recommended as authentic, and I've enjoyed it when I've been.
Cascadia Grill - haven't tried it since Plenty left. But I'd be up for checking it out.
QB - me too. :) Although it can be crazy on weekends for a group as big as ours. But I'd never say no.
Water Street - always good, but yes, spendy. More variety than the Dockside if I remember correctly.
Fish Tale - reserving upstairs sounds like a good plan if we can swing it.

I did enjoy both Swing and The Mark when we've been to those places recently. But I'm all for changing it up. :)

message 3: by Agathafrye (new)

Thanks, Raina! Very thorough response.

message 4: by Brian (new)

Brian (nerdbrarian) Sometimes I think I should hire out my services to make websites for some of these places...

I love QB, just went there for the first time this week. But, yeah, I've seen it looking pretty crazy on weekends.

Fish Tale would be my vote, but anywhere I can get a beer is fine.

message 5: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 22 comments What date are we looking at?

(Yeah... I know... who is this "Sheri"? I'm looking forward to seeing y'all again and talking the bookish talk!)

message 6: by Raina (new)

Raina | 106 comments Mod
Weekend of september 26. :)

message 7: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Weekend of the 26th sounds good! I prefer Fridays, but Saturday should be okay also.
For what it's worth, QB has gotten pretty strict lately about enforcing their 'no groups bigger than 6' rule. It's posted on the door, and they usually don't let people push tables together (in my experience.) I think it's only a rule in the restaurant side, though. The bar area might be fine, and less likely to be crowded early in the evening.

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13 comments I'd vote for fish tale, but as I have yet to actually make it to a gathering, you can take my vote with a grain of salt. I do plan on going this time, but then I plan on going every time, until I look at my calendar and see that nope, again with the scheduling conflict...

message 9: by Agathafrye (new)

Sounds like we've got a couple of votes for the Fishtale. Plus, I feel like Brian kinda got the shaft at the last locale, so I want to make it up to him. I'll wait a little longer to see if the 26th works for most of us, and if it does, I'll call them and see if I can reserve at least one big upstairs table.

message 10: by Brian (new)

Brian (nerdbrarian) Ha, don't worry about me. Anything beats the cowboy steak houses my family used to drag me out to. Dockside had good beer at least.

Unfortunately, most of the places in Oly that are especially vegan friendly also tend to be a bit small and crowded or otherwise ill-suited for book discussions. I don't see us crowding into Darby's drinking brass monkeys...

message 11: by Raina (new)

Raina | 106 comments Mod
Yay Fishtale. Their pear cider is killer!

message 12: by Jon (new)

Jon Pitchford (jpitchfo) | 2 comments Judy and I say sorry for missing last time. Judy and I love peppers. Never seen it crowded. Food is awesome and not too expensive. I too love the salsa. Wherever it is, we will be there on the 26th. - Jon

Jackie "the Librarian" | 259 comments Mod
I second the yay for the pear cider!

message 14: by Kate (new)

Kate | 115 comments mmmmm, pear cider. I've been going pear crazy this year. I'm up for Peppers or the Fishbowl. I liked the Dockside but would like to go a little lower on the price range. The 26th sounds good to me.

message 15: by Agathafrye (new)

Okay, let's make this official. I'll call the Fish to confirm for the 26th. Maybe we can do Pepper's the next time around.

message 16: by Agathafrye (new)

I posted it as an event, but I didn't send invites to everyone because I suspect that might be annoying to some. Go ahead and RSVP if'n you get the urge.

message 17: by Agathafrye (new)

So, the Fishtale told me that they don't make reservations anywhere in the pub Thursday through Saturday nights, but that a group of 10-12 shouldn't have any trouble walking in at that time of the evening. When I told him we were a book group, he was concerned that they would be too noisy, but I assured him that we would adapt. It's funny what people assume when you tell them that you're a book club.

message 18: by Agathafrye (new)

Reminder! Book Club! Saturday! 6pm! Fishtale! Hope to see y'all there.

message 19: by Kate (last edited Sep 23, 2009 09:25PM) (new)

Kate | 115 comments Hi All, I will not make it this time. I'm going to the CIELO fundraiser on Saturday night. Be sure to let me know what everyone's reading! My most recent books are (for Kelsey's list): Dances with snakes / Horacio Castellano Moya; Wisdom of elders : traditional food ways of five tribes in western Washington; and am currently reading The financial lives of poets / Jess Walter.

I will be there! And I promise NOT to bring the Oppenheimer book again, even though I'm STILL reading it. :D

message 21: by Brian (new)

Brian (nerdbrarian) Have you read the graphic novel Fallout about Oppenheimer? I've been meaning to get around to it, and Booklist gave it a good review. If you're not all Oppenheimered out...

message 22: by Judy (new)

Judy (jpitchford) | 40 comments Looks like Jon and I will actually make it this time (knock on wood!). We have missed being there...

message 23: by Raina (new)

Raina | 106 comments Mod
Yay! Looking forward to having the Pitchfords back! Have fun at the fundraiser, Kate!

message 24: by Judy (last edited Sep 24, 2009 11:03AM) (new)

Judy (jpitchford) | 40 comments By the way, Marlys and Diane are planning on coming too.... in case you need a head count.

Brian wrote: "Have you read the graphic novel Fallout about Oppenheimer? I've been meaning to get around to it, and Booklist gave it a good review. If you're not all Oppenheimered out..."

MORE Oppenheimer?

:::runs in other direction:::

message 26: by Raina (new)

Raina | 106 comments Mod
Jackie "the Librarian" wrote: "Brian wrote: "Have you read the graphic novel Fallout about Oppenheimer? I've been meaning to get around to it, and Booklist gave it a good review. If you're not all Oppenheimered out..."

Well, you know Jackie, by committing to a 721 pg. book about Oppenheimer, you are also committing to being the designated Oppenheimer expert for Thurston County. From now on, you should always have an Oppenheimer-related book on your roster...

::evil laugh::

message 27: by Jackie "the Librarian" (last edited Sep 24, 2009 11:54AM) (new)

What did you say, Raina? I'm way far away, and I guess I can't hear you.... Plus, I've got my fingers in my ears and I'm saying "la la la la la la..."

message 28: by Agathafrye (new)

MORE OPPENHEIMER!!!

Nope, no head count needed at the Fish. They wouldn't let me make reservations, so we're just going for it.

message 29: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 22 comments I'll be there!

message 30: by Maura (new)

Maura | 5 comments Hello!
Good food + Good people + Good books + Good beer = ?
I had a wonderful time last night and enjoyed meeting great new people, reconnecting with a few others, and taking notes about wonderful sounding books. I hope to repeat next month. Thanks to all!

message 31: by Agathafrye (new)

Thanks for coming Maura! I'll be posting my report later on- if I miss anybody's books, please let me know. PS- feel free to go into the Oly Reads bookshelf after I add your books and rate the ones you talked about. It just occurred to me last night that it might be a good idea, since we don't always talk about books that we like! Also, I think next time I want to hear if anyone read anything that was recommended by someone at book club. I'm always fascinated by the way that a book recommendation migrates...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Fallout: J. Robert Oppenheimer, Leo Szilard, and the Political Science of the Atomic Bomb (other topics)