Dickens! Mwah! discussion

Dickens and Trollope

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hogen10 (new)

Hogen10 | 7 comments I do hope this hasn't been covered before,and I'm sure it will remain a civil conversation. I'm in the process of rereading all of Mr. C.D., having read all of him in my 20's. I started again w/ "Bleak House" and I'm now on "Mutual Friend". A friend mentioned that I try Trollope, whom I've heard of but never read. I went over to Project Gutenburgh and tried a few pages of some of his novels. He's interesting, polished and readable but a feel a little too 'cool' for me. I do intend on giving him a go but I think I'll stick w/ reading all of Dickens before trying Mr. Trollope.

Other opinions?

message 2: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Hicks (goodreadscomlaurele) | 12 comments Hogen10 wrote: "I do hope this hasn't been covered before,and I'm sure it will remain a civil conversation. I'm in the process of rereading all of Mr. C.D., having read all of him in my 20's. I started again w/ "..."

I love both Dickens and Trollope, Hogen. Dickens is easier to get a handle on, since he only wrote fifteen novels. Trollope was extremely prolific and a bit uneven. I would say yes, read all of Dickens's novels first. Then you might want to dip into Trollope's Barsetshire novels, beginning with The Warden and Barchester Towers. It is a wonderful world to spend a year or so in. He's written many other really good novels, too.

message 3: by Darcy (new)

Darcy | 12 comments Hogen, I agree with you--I've found Trollope to be more difficult to get into than Dickens, generally. For what it's worth, The Eustace Diamonds is good and I also really enjoyed The Way We Live Now. I especially recommend that last one if you like Dickens's Our Mutual Friend.

TheGirlBytheSeaofCortez (Madly77) I agree. I think Trollope is more difficult to get into than Dickens. Once you start a Dickens' novel, it just pulls you in. I have not read THE EUSTACE DIAMONDS. I started THE WAY WE LIVE NOW, but never finished it...yet.

TheGirlBytheSeaofCortez (Madly77) Hogen10 wrote: "I do hope this hasn't been covered before,and I'm sure it will remain a civil conversation. I'm in the process of rereading all of Mr. C.D., having read all of him in my 20's. I started again w/ "..."

I agree. I think Trollope is "cool" and "polished." But Dickens is "warm" and eminently human, even in his caricatures.

Captain Sir Roddy, R.N. (Ret.) (captain_sir_roddy) I like Trollope a lot; but I do think that he and Dickens are really quite different. As has been pointed out, Trollope, while he had somewhere around 40 novels published, some of them were pretty bad; some are pretty darned good though. In all honesty, there are also a few Dickens novels that don't 'float my boat' either.

In the end though, I think it is important to read all of these authors, as each has something important to say. It is up to the reader to interpret what the novelist provides and determine what is meaningful, or not. We're each going to see this in different shades; which makes our ability to discuss these classics here in the various groups just that much more entertaining and educational. I, for one, am primarily here to learn.

Happy reading to all of you! Cheers! Chris

message 7: by Gary (new)

Gary | 21 comments We are reading A TALE OF TWO CITIES for my bookclub. We pick out books months in advance, so we will not read it till June 2010. However, I've read it before, years ago,and also, I ordered the Cd of the musical,and it's great. I'd love to see the show live someday! Excited to be a part of this group.

TheGirlBytheSeaofCortez (Madly77) Even though I consider Dickens more warm and "human" than Trollope, there are still some Trollope novels I really like. As Chris pointed out, the two authors are just different. That doesn't mean one is better than the other. My personal preference is Dickens, but that's just me.