Mystery Lovers! discussion

Random Chats > looking for hard-boiled detective fiction

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

i'm searching for some gritty hard-boiled detective fiction. i've read dashiell hammett and the like, but i'm looking for something similar. let me know if you have any suggestions. thanks!

message 2: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 31 comments Mickey Spillane's Mike Hammer is one that comes to mind right away. Sara Paretsky's V.I. Warshawski is another you might like.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

thanks! i usually read "armchair detective" stories, but i really wanted something darker.

message 4: by Pamela (new)

Pamela I like Raymond Chandler. If you want dark, Jim Thompson is your man. The Chicago Way was excellent too.

message 5: by Eric_W (new)

Eric_W (ericw) | 8 comments I would recommend (in addition to those already mentioned):

Dashiell Hammett
Chester Himes
Ross MacDonald
and James Cain.

I agree with Pamela re Jim Thompson. The Killer Inside Me is really dark, although not strictly speaking detective fiction.

http://www.hardcasecrime.com/ is bringing back some of the early pulp fiction, much of which meets your criteria.

message 6: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 31 comments This morning I went to Stop, You’re Killing Me! www.stopyourekillingme.com which is a resource for lovers of mystery, crime, thriller, spy, and suspense books. They list over 2,900 authors, with chronological lists of their books (over 32,000 titles), both series (3,300+) and non-series.

Among their lists of suggestions under their Read-alike link they had these these two I think you might like:

If you like Standard PI, you might like…
Neil Albert
Raymond Chandler
Robert Crais
James Crumley
Earl Emerson
Loren D. Estleman
Stephen Greenleaf
Dashiell Hammett
Gar Anthony Haywood
Jeremiah Healy
Richard Hoyt
Robert Irvine
Dennis Lehane
Arthur Lyons
John D. MacDonald
Ross MacDonald
Walter Mosley
Robert B. Parker
Bill Pronzini
Les Roberts
James Sallis
Walter Satterthwait
Jonathan Valin
Steve Womack

If you like Tough Crime, you might like…
James M. Cain
Robert Campbell
Robert Ferrigno
Joe Gores
James W. Hall
Faye Kellerman
Jonathan Kellerman
Elmore Leonard
Paul Levine
Ed McBain
Michael McGarrity
Ridley Pearson
Gary Phillips
Minette Walters
Randy Wayne White

message 7: by Jen (new)

Jen (jenforbus) | 57 comments I'm a big fan of Robert Crais, especially his later work. Of course he was highly influenced by the likes of Chandler and Hammett. Dennis Lehane is another one who has a very dark element to his writing. George Pelecanos. Michael Koryta. Sean Chercover. And Dave Robicheaux isn't a PI, but James Lee Burke exhibits the qualities of noir.

message 8: by Eric_W (new)

Eric_W (ericw) | 8 comments Joseph wrote: "This morning I went to Stop, You’re Killing Me! www.stopyourekillingme.com which is a resource for lovers of mystery, crime, thriller, spy, and suspense books. They list over 2,900 authors, with ch..."

Thanks for the list. I was not familiar with a couple of these. More for the to-read stack. Sigh.

message 9: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (stephenT) Wow, hella list there, Joseph. Thanks! I'll copy and use it. Meanwhile, I support that V. I. Warshawski series. They are very good.

Stephen

message 10: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) I also love Vi Warsharski

message 11: by C.J. (new)

C.J. Lyons (cjlyons) | 19 comments I'd second James Lee Burke and add Dave White--his PI novels have been nominated for about every award out there, his voice very classic noir....and has anyone mentioned Robert Crais? Try his Elvis Cole novels if you haven't already.

Happy reading!
CJ

CJ Lyons
http://www.cjlyons.net
URGENT CARE, coming October 27, 2009
WARNING SIGNS, "Lyons is a master within the genre." ~Pittsburgh Magazine
LIFELINES, "A breathtakingly fast-paced medical thriller."~Publishers Weekly

message 12: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (marytodd) | 65 comments I just finished Burke's latest...that man can turn a phrase...reading him is almost mesmerizing.

message 13: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 4 comments Love Robert Crais. One of my co-workers suggested him, Dennis Lehane and Lee Childs.... Love them all.

Joe- Thanks for the list, always looking for new authors to try.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Joseph wrote: "This morning I went to Stop, You’re Killing Me! www.stopyourekillingme.com which is a resource for lovers of mystery, crime, thriller, spy, and suspense books. They list over 2,900 authors, with ch..."

Thanks, Joseph! That website is a great resource!

message 15: by Bluedaizy (new)

Bluedaizy | 97 comments Mary Todd wrote: "I just finished Burke's latest...that man can turn a phrase...reading him is almost mesmerizing."

I totally agree. I really want to reread some of his books, but I gave the early ones to my brother to read. That'll teach me...never "loan" books to loved ones.