Harper Voyager Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Kim Harrison Q&A Sept 3 12pm to 1pm ET!

Comments (showing 1-50 of 99) (99 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Dana at Harper (last edited Sep 02, 2014 11:30AM) (new)

Dana at Harper (danaskully) | 6 comments Mod
Kim Harrison will be here for an hour Sept 3 (Wednesday, this week) to answer your questions from 12 pm to 1pm ET! Please join the group to ask your questions about The Witch With No Name and the whole Hollows series!

message 2: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Anderson | 5 comments I am so looking forward to her book signing tour but sad it's for the last of The Hollows Series. She's such a wonderful speaker and panelist, I can't wait to check this out and see what Kim Harrison has to share with us. Thank you for doing this!

Jamie

message 3: by Sian (new)

Sian | 3 comments How exciting, I can't wait!!!!

message 4: by Barb (new)

Barb Shuler (BarbShuler) I love the Hollow's Series. I can't wait to be able to get the last book but I am sad it is the last book. One of the BEST series I have ever read. And I have read a lot. Kim is a great story teller and I can't wait to see what she comes out with next.

message 5: by Rini (new)

Rini Kirkpatrick | 1 comments Cannot wait for the book signing, so glad Denver was added to the tour - thank you!

My craft question: Since the Hollows is done, I am sure there are future books/series in the pipeline. What are your strategies/tricks to distinguish the new characters from the Hollows' characters, so we are not going "Oh, that character is just like Rachel (or Ivy, or Jenks etc.)" when we read them? Thanks for answering beforehand!

message 6: by jev (new)

jev (jev9) | 2 comments So excited for this last book. Who's all going to a signing??

message 7: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay (lindsay9) | 3 comments My question - now that the series will be over, will you ever return to the Hollow's world at all, do you plan to write more short stories or do any spin-offs?

message 8: by Marisa (new)

Marisa (RisaNP) | 1 comments My question: You've worked so long with the characters from The Hollows, did you mourn ending the series and did you find yourself having to take some time to say goodbye before embarking on new stories or are you ready to start something new?

message 9: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (LogophileChronicles) | 1 comments Do you get writers block? How do you handle it?

message 10: by Janine (new)

Janine Smith | 3 comments My question: I've been loving the character development over the series, and I just wondered whether you always intended your characters to end up where they are or have they developed a life of their own and suprised you as much as they have us?

message 11: by Kim (new)

Kim Harrison (KimHarrison) | 43 comments Rini wrote: "Since the Hollows is done, I am sure there are future books/series in the pipeline. What are..."

Hi Rini. That is a great question. There are going to be similarities between Rachel and Peri because they are both strong individuals, but I've tried to separate them by making Peri older, in a different stage of her life. She has different problems. I've also written Peri from the third person POV. As for Peri's male companions? I'm seeing Nick in one of them, and have started taking steps. It's kind of like writing by feel, and just being aware of it.

message 12: by Kim (new)

Kim Harrison (KimHarrison) | 43 comments jev wrote: "So excited for this last book. Who's all going to a signing??"

Thanks! Me too. I'm hoping to see lots of readers this tour.

message 13: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 2 comments I have a question, but I want to save it for the signing. It's a week from today! So, I'll just say that I love this series and thank you for taking us on this jitney!

message 14: by Kim (new)

Kim Harrison (KimHarrison) | 43 comments Lindsay wrote: "My question - now that the series will be over, will you ever return to the Hollow's world at all, do you plan to write more short stories or do any spin-offs?"

Hi Lindsay. I don't have any plans to return to the Hollows anytime soon, but you never know. I've got two very different ideas that I've been pining to write about for some time now, and they have my full attention. That said, there will be one more Hollows short coming out from Al's POV called SUDDEN BACKTRACK.

message 15: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (Krys20118) | 2 comments Hi Kim! I am so sad to say good bye to Rachel but excited for Peri! Thanks for signing all of those books at Nicola's mine was one of them!

message 16: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Daugherty | 1 comments Thank you so much for your time, Kim! For my question, I'm extremely curious as what happened to make Al so angry at the end of The Undead Pool. In Ever After he commented that Rachel and Trent were a good match and even teased them about mooning over each other. Did something happen to make him rise to the level of fury he showed?

message 17: by Susan (new)

Susan Brouillette | 2 comments Would you consider a new series, maybe with Ivy, and have a crossover with the rest of the Hollow characters?

message 18: by Kim (new)

Kim Harrison (KimHarrison) | 43 comments Marisa wrote: "You've worked so long with the characters from The Hollows, did you mourn ending the series and did you find yourself having to take some time to say goodbye before embarking on new stories or are you ready to start something new? "

Hi Marisa. I did mourn them, and part of the process of saying good-bye was finding an ending that was both satisfying, and still left a window so it looked as if the characters continued on even though the story was done.
I had a difficult year as I was writing the last Hollows book, but it helped when I started right in on Peri's story. The Hollows isn't the first series I've ended, so it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

message 19: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Gardner (lgardner331) | 3 comments I am looking forward to your future works. My question is whether or not you think we will see the future of Lucy and Ray at some point in the future?

message 20: by Kim (new)

Kim Harrison (KimHarrison) | 43 comments Vanora wrote: "Do you get writers block? How do you handle it?"

Hi Vanora. I don't like to call it writer's block, but I do get stuck occasionally. Usually it's when I'm trying to get the characters to do something against their nature. I back up and try something else, or introduce a new character or sudden happening to shake it up. Sometimes I'm stuck for an hour, sometimes a few days, but I'm always sitting at my computer during it.

message 21: by Selena (new)

Selena | 3 comments My question: Was David's former partner Howard part of the black coven Tom Bansen tried to get Rachel to join?

message 22: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Anderson | 5 comments We know you love to garden and knit.I know I like to do things that allow me to 'mentally write', as well. Do you have any other hobbies?

message 23: by Ann (new)

Ann Parker | 2 comments I have a question about the Goodbye party at Nicola's in October. Is there any idea about what will happen there? I'd like to go, but would have to fly in for it, but have no idea what to expect.

message 24: by Gemma (new)

Gemma | 1 comments Hi you mentioned above that there's a short coming in Al's POV when is it set?

message 25: by Fallon (last edited Sep 03, 2014 09:09AM) (new)

Fallon (fallonwilloughby) | 2 comments Lately it seems like more and more series just continue to go on and on, with no end in sight. Even though I love this series, and every book is fantastic, I respect the fact that you knew when to call it quits for yourself and your characters (at least until you may revisit them in the future...). How did you decide to end the series?

PS: I cannot wait to meet you in Bowling Green, KY at your signing there, and am prepared with a tour t-shirt!

message 26: by Kim (new)

Kim Harrison (KimHarrison) | 43 comments Janine wrote: "I've been loving the character development over the series, and I just wondered whether you always intended your characters to end up where they are or have they developed a life of their own and suprised you as much as they have us? "

Hi Janie. I don't generally plot out anything but the book I'm currently working on, so where the characters end up is usually a surprise to me when I look back over several books. I go into it with an idea, of course, but so many variables come into play that it's useless for me to try to stick to my original outline. I'm forever rewriting my outline, usually at about page 100, and again at 300. It's a mix of organized creativity that works for me. But everyone is different.

message 27: by Kim (new)

Kim Harrison (KimHarrison) | 43 comments Stephanie wrote: "I have a question, but I want to save it for the signing. It's a week from today! So, I'll just say that I love this series and thank you for taking us on this jitney!"

See you there, Stephanie!

message 28: by Kim (new)

Kim Harrison (KimHarrison) | 43 comments Krystal wrote: "Hi Kim! I am so sad to say good bye to Rachel but excited for Peri! Thanks for signing all of those books at Nicola's mine was one of them!"

It was my pleasure, Krystal! I hope you like how Rachel finds her happy ever-after.

message 29: by Kat (new)

Kat | 1 comments Hi Kim!
Thanks for taking the time to for a Q&A! The Witch With No Name is SO bittersweet for me. I can't wait to read it but I don't want it to be the last Hollows book I read :(. I was wondering are you working on any new series? Thanks again!!

message 30: by Sian (new)

Sian | 3 comments Hey Kim! You ever gonna do anything with Grace? I loved her short story!

message 31: by Kim (new)

Kim Harrison (KimHarrison) | 43 comments Michelle wrote: "I'm extremely curious as what happened to make Al so angry at the end of The Undead Pool. In Ever After he commented that Rachel and Trent were a good match and even teased them about mooning over each other. Did something happen to make him rise to the level of fury he showed?."

Ahhh, that is something that a lot of people wondered about, hence that last short story, Sudden Backtrack, from Al's POV. Keep an eye out for it. But the short of it is that he was angry with himself for not fighting for the woman he loved as much as Trent and Rachel fight for each other.

message 32: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay (lindsay9) | 3 comments @Fallon
I'll be at that one too! So excited that Kim is coming to my town.

message 33: by Tootse (new)

Tootse | 2 comments I would absolutely LOVE a Bite Me Betty doll, maybe do a kickstarter? I would gladly donate funds for this as would others I am sure

message 34: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (Krys20118) | 2 comments Kim wrote: "Krystal wrote: "Hi Kim! I am so sad to say good bye to Rachel but excited for Peri! Thanks for signing all of those books at Nicola's mine was one of them!"

It was my pleasure, Krystal! I hope you..."

Ugh such teasing ;) I am looking forward to it!

message 35: by Kim (new)

Kim Harrison (KimHarrison) | 43 comments Susan wrote: "Would you consider a new series, maybe with Ivy, and have a crossover with the rest of the Hollow characters?"

Hi Susan. Not at this time? But maybe in the future. I've got to write something else right now, or I'm going to go stale.

message 36: by Kim (new)

Kim Harrison (KimHarrison) | 43 comments Lisa wrote: "I am looking forward to your future works. My question is whether or not you think we will see the future of Lucy and Ray at some point in the future?"

Hi LIsa. Probably not with as much depth as you'd like, but I will touch on it before I say my last good-bye. :-) I do like my stories tied up with a neat little ribbon--most of the time.

message 37: by Raquel (new)

Raquel (rakl) | 1 comments Hi Kim,

First off thank you for writing such a wonderful series. I've reread them multiple times.

My question is... is there any part of the book series that you would've like to have rewritten?

Cheers!

message 38: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Sprinkle | 2 comments I loved the Hollows world. Are you interested in creating any new characters within that world? --btw I love trying to explain this series to people. Evil Tomatoes!

message 39: by Kim (new)

Kim Harrison (KimHarrison) | 43 comments Selena wrote: "My question: Was David's former partner Howard part of the black coven Tom Bansen tried to get Rachel to join?"

No. He was just a witch. I wanted to show that David was open to interspecies working together, and this was the easiest way to do it.

message 40: by Kim (new)

Kim Harrison (KimHarrison) | 43 comments Jamie wrote: "We know you love to garden and knit.I know I like to do things that allow me to 'mentally write', as well. Do you have any other hobbies?"

Hi Jamie. I bake a lot when it's cold out. And I do jig-saw puzzles when the mood strikes me. Oh! I do at least one killer Sudoko puzzle every night before I go to bed to shut my mind off. For a long time, I used to fall asleep thinking of numbers, but now I just go. No insomnia for me!

message 41: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 2 comments I want a Bite Me Betty Doll too Tootse!

message 42: by Kim (new)

Kim Harrison (KimHarrison) | 43 comments Ann wrote: "I have a question about the Goodbye party at Nicola's in October. Is there any idea about what will happen there? I'd like to go, but would have to fly in for it, but have no idea what to expect."

Ann, the store is still working on a press release, but there will be extra prizes, perhaps some play acting by some of the readers, hopefully some costumes by said readers, cookies, and a place to take cool Hollows pictures. It's not for a while yet, so it's evolving more slowly than usual.

message 43: by Kim (new)

Kim Harrison (KimHarrison) | 43 comments Gemma wrote: "Hi you mentioned above that there's a short coming in Al's POV when is it set?"

Ahhhh, that would be saying, but the title is Sudden Backtrack, which implies the past. (grin)

message 44: by Tootse (new)

Tootse | 2 comments Another question, in chapter nine of Black Magic Sanction, it says that Jenks has "forty-some kids", I thought they had 54, who died?

message 45: by Kim (new)

Kim Harrison (KimHarrison) | 43 comments Fallon wrote: "I respect the fact that you knew when to call it quits for yourself and your characters (at least until you may revisit them in the future...). How did you decide to end the series?"

Thank you, Fallon. I appreciate that. Rachel had climbed every mountain, forded every stream, followed every rainbow . . . wait a moment. I'm channeling another story. :-) She'd done everything I could think of, and I'd developed the world far beyond what I had first envisioned. But the reason I didn't delved deeper was because I was starting to feel stale. I wanted to write in a different way, and I couldn't do that in Rachel's voice. Besides, do you know how many ideas I've got banging around in my head? Some of them just can't be tweaked to fit the Hollows Universe.

message 46: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Gardner (lgardner331) | 3 comments Can you give us any insight into what the Peri book(s) will be about?

message 47: by Eva (last edited Sep 03, 2014 09:23AM) (new)

Eva (Eviux) | 1 comments I have a question for you. Why did the mystics felt atracted to Rachel?

message 48: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Anderson | 5 comments I know you attend quite a few functions (you were wonderful at ROMANTIC TIMES!) and I was wondering if you are able to write pretty much anywhere you are or are there specific things that you need to comfortably converse with the muse?

message 49: by Kim (new)

Kim Harrison (KimHarrison) | 43 comments Kat wrote: "The Witch With No Name is SO bittersweet for me. I can't wait to read it but I don't want it to be the last Hollows book I read :(. I was wondering are you working on any new series? Thanks again!!
"

I am! I'm working on another series whose main character is named Peri, after Admiral Perry of the war of 1812. She's older than Rachel, and has everything she wants. At least until page 8.

message 50: by jev (new)

jev (jev9) | 2 comments HEA's for all who survive. Please tell me there are no more deaths in the Hollows. Don't think my heart can take another.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Witch With No Name (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Kim Harrison (other topics)