I Read Comic Books discussion

BotM Discussions > June 2019 BotM - Captain America Vol. 1: Winter in America

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mike (last edited Jun 03, 2019 09:24PM) (new)

Mike Rapin (mikerapin) | 400 comments Mod
What'd you think of Captain America, Vol. 1: Winter in America? Think you'll keep reading the series? What was your favorite moment?

Don't forget to checkout the IRCB podcast discussion for this episode on June 26th, 2019 on your favorite podcatcher. Subscribe here!

Reminder: This discussion thread is FULL SPOILERS for Captain America Vol. 1: Winter in America! If you have read more in the series, please do not to share spoilers for anything that happens beyond this volume.

message 2: by Mike (new)

Mike Rapin (mikerapin) | 400 comments Mod
Since I won't be on the show this week, I'll be dropping in some comments here before the episode records this weekend!

message 3: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 219 comments so i read this "late" like last night. but i really enjoyed.
here is a bit of what i gathered after reading.

The first i noticed was the Narration which is Cap's inner monologue. It set up the past and the current story. The book uses character that I enjoy reading that are peripheral to Cap, like Winter Soldier and Sharon. Also the book immediately sets up the initial layer of conflict.
The mystery is set up early enough that it has plenty of time to unfold. The villain is introduced, but not fully revealed.
There is a lot of action in the book, a lot of fights that present challenges for Cap and distract him from the mission. Challenges not only physical but political which is a bigger challenge to Cap than any physical challenge.
The reveals in the late chapters were unexpected as I am not familiar with the full story line of events, and although there is a resolution we are fully set up to go into the next chapter.

Yu on art pencils very dynamic pages, alot of action that help drive the story. There are alot times the art slows done the action by showing a conversation or a setting shot. all the settings are very diverse and the art really helps with the reveal of the true villain. Lastly the fight with Taskmaster is my favorite of this volume. Showing all the emotion and conflict in a few pages.

I will keep reading this book.
I had not read Coates but it makes sense that Black Panther is heavily featured in the book. Setting up rules and "real world" implications of their involvement in these conflicts.

I am glad we picked this book for the month.