Books I Loathed discussion

Loathed Authors > Jasper Fford

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily (new)

Emily  O (readingwhilefemale) | 76 comments Well, I'm reading something of his for a book challenge, so I'll let you know when I get to it.

message 2: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) Humor is so subjective. So many of my GoodReads friends love Terry Pratchett's Discworld. I read one book and just didn't find it funny. Oddly, many of the people who love Discworld hate Good Omens. I thought Good Omens was hysterical. I love the humor of Connie Willis, but a lot of people whom I highly respect here don't. I do like Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series, but your complaints are valid. There isn't any one kind of humor that's for everyone.

message 3: by Sandi (last edited Aug 30, 2009 09:50AM) (new)

Sandi (sandikal) Someone thought that Wicked was comedy? Maybe they got the book confused with the musical? I liked the book, but I didn't think it was funny at all.

As for Connie Willis, not all her work is funny. Some of her work is very serious and some mixes humor and pathos. For straight up humor, I recommend Bellwether or To Say Nothing of the Dog. The latter is based on a nineteenth century book, Three Men in a Boat, that's supposed to be very funny, but is very boring.

message 4: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) Connie Willis is shelved as a science fiction writer. Although her work does contain science and fiction, she does cross genre boundaries.

message 5: by Holly (new)

Holly | 40 comments Sandi wrote: "Connie Willis is shelved as a science fiction writer. Although her work does contain science and fiction, she does cross genre boundaries.

"

Seconding this. I discovered her through Goodreads and she is now one of my favorites. I haven't yet read Bellwether... I was wondering which one to go with next! The Doomsday Book just about broke my heart while making me laugh out loud.

message 6: by Starling (new)

Starling I should love the in-jokes that make up this author's work. So faanish! Made it through the first one OK, but the second just made me mad as hell.

I do like the little in jokes you get in some SF, but not when they are the entire "plot". I enjoy the little extras like noticing that the title references someone else's title and someone else's work. Fford just bored me to tears.