Terminalcoffee discussion

General Fuckery > Am I a terrible person for losing my cat? >Marla the Tramp Back Home!!! >> MARLA was MISSING AGAIN! > She's back but she sure does talk a lot.

Comments Showing 1-50 of 243 (243 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17322 comments Mod
She's less than a year old, and I've only been letting her outside for about a week. She LOOOOOVES going outside at night, so much so that she meows and meows to wake me up to let her out. I've never let her out before when I was sleeping/not watching her, but last night I was worried about not getting enough sleep so I put her in the garage and cracked the garage door to the outside.
In the morning she was gone! Gonzo! Not anywhere!
I had to leave at 7:30 and I wont be home until after 5. I put some food and water on the back porch for her, but I think she's gone to live with a new family (or was a meal for the foxes that live in the meadow at the end of our street.)

I'm such a shitty cat owner!

message 2: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments Don't worry Sally! She might not even be gone. She'll probably be there when you get home. She may have just finally gotten the courage to go on a good romp and will be home to purr and sleep this evening. I always let my cats out. They love to be out there so much! I think you're fine.

However, I should note, at this point, that I've lost a few...

message 3: by Sally, la reina (new)

Thanks Gretchen. I'm trying not to be crazy cat lady about it and just be zen but it's hard.

The good news is that I know she's a bad ass and can hold her own unlike my other wimpy metrosexual man cat.

message 4: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments Oh but really, is there anything better than a metrosexual man cat? They're the best!

message 5: by Sally, la reina (new)

She beats him up daily.

message 6: by Knarik (new)

Knarik Don't worry Sally. Cats always come back. We had one, wich was always leaving and coming back after several days. once it was gone for two weeks.
Cats never lose their way. There was a cat, which was left by its owner in another city, but was able to find its house.

message 7: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Coyotes would be my biggest worry.

message 8: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Nice, Larry. Sally's already worried about her kitten and then you throw in a mention of coyotes.

Sally, just imagine Marla blowing up the coyotes with TNT. She's bad ass. She can handle them, too.

message 9: by Dan (new)

Dan Schwent (akagunslinger) BunWat wrote: "You haven't lost your cat yet Sally. Cats have to be gone more than a week before they are lost. "

I had a cat come back after five months once. His replacement took two steps over at the food bowl and let him eat without incident.

message 10: by Angie (new)

Angie (angabel) You're not a terrible person. Despite what everyone else is saying, my mother works with several women who own 7 or 8 cats and they've had the opposite experience: cats gone don't come back, but new ones take their place. Hopefully this won't happen, though, but you might have to do a bit of searching to find your cat!

What WOULD make you a terrible person is if you were always complaining that you're broke and can't pay your rent and then go out and buy an $800 dog and then lose him... only to turn around and buy another $800 dog that you don't properly take care of. That would make someone irresponsible, and those are the kind of people I want to punch in the face.

message 11: by Félix (last edited Aug 24, 2009 03:32PM) (new)

Félix (habitseven) Sorry. Hope she comes back right away. I couldn't bear to lose one of mine. Yeah, I'm a wuss that way.

message 12: by Sally, la reina (new)

Well, I arrived home from school today expecting to find Marla on the back porch. No such luck.
I hope you guys are right and she's just off on a huge exploring session.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I'm crossing my fingers for you and Marla, Sally. :\

message 14: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Me too.

message 15: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments yes

message 16: by Sally, la reina (new)

sick and sad and sick and sad and feeling guilty and sad.

message 17: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments I'm sorry too Sally. I've had both experiences - losing one, thinking he's gone, only to have him show up a few weeks later, and also letting one out never to see her again.

It does not make you an awful, mean, shitty cat owner. Some cats, as much as you'd like to keep them inside & safe are just not inside cats. You kinda have to throw the dice with certain ones because you know they'll be happier with in & out privledges. I hope she comes back healthy & happy. :)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I think they leave out some of the verses, when they sing it with kids.

And change some of the words.

But I'm sure Sally finds it very comforting, KD. :)

message 19: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments We sang that in 5th grade during music class... I always thought it was a bit creepy. :|

message 20: by Lori (new)

Lori There's nothing like pets to make us feel the guiltiest. But Sally, it's true, some cats just seem to have to go out. I meant to have my own newish kitty be an indoor cat, but he would holler and holler to go out, and finally managed to evade all our efforts to keep him in whenever we walked in and out the door. I sure hope yours is just having a walkabout, and will come home soon.

message 21: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments Sally, we know you will never turn into the dreaded crazy cat lady:

message 22: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Positive thoughts ... positive thoughts ... positive thoughts ....

message 23: by Julie (new)

Julie | 568 comments I am sorry, Sally.
I am sending lots of good vibes with love your way.

I agree with Sherri though, sometimes with cats you just never know whether they should be outside or inside and you just have to toss the dice at some point. Cats like to wander around, and you would feel guilty about keeping her in always. You are definitely NOT a bad cat owner.

message 24: by Sally, la reina (new)

Guess who woke us up meowing outside our bedroom window last night at 4am?

She's full of meows and cuddles, apparently telling us all about the places she's been. She's already eaten a day's worth of food and then wanted some more, so I'm guessing she didn't eat wherever she went.

You guys were right! She was on a walkabout!

message 25: by Dan (new)

Dan Schwent (akagunslinger) That's good news.

Is Marla fixed? If not, there's probably a reason she went on a walkabout...

message 26: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Terrific news!

message 27: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments YAY! Welcome back kitty! That's how mine always acts when he comes off a bender too. so cute.

message 28: by Lori (new)

Lori Oh! As soon as I saw the red numbers here I was hoping and hoping!

That Marla, what a tramp.

Squeeee!

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks Marla for easing Sally's mind.

message 30: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Hooray!

message 31: by Sally, la reina (new)

Thank you friends for all your positive vibes and happiness for us! :D

At least one minor bit of the stress of this week has been alleviated.
Now, on to the comprehensive exams...

*gulp, shiver, cower*

message 32: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Is she spayed, Sally?

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Sarah Pi wrote: "Is she spayed, Sally?"

One can hope.

message 34: by Sally, la reina (new)

She is spayed, 64. Thank goodness for that.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Yippee! Give Marla lots of scritches for me, Sally!

message 36: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1107 comments Stephen wrote: "I'm not really a lawyer, I'm a bumptious person who tries to make people smile with my hilarity. Sometimes it makes them tired, then I feel the polarity. ;-)"

You rhyme, too!

message 37: by Sally, la reina (new)

So, now that Marla is back home and safe and happy with us, we've been letting her back out to explore because she meows and meows to be let out and honestly we'd go insane if she weren't allowed out at all.
Tonight poor Marla the Tramp was stung by a bee!
I heard her crying out on the front porch and let her in and she immediately ran to the guest room with her tail down and hid, which is weird for her, so I knew something was wrong. I went out to the porch to find the evil cat/child that had hurt her, but nobody/nothing was out there, and came back in in time to see her running to our room with the same sad cries and tail down behavior. I ran up to her and saw SOMETHING in her fur and thought it was a giant spider rooting around. HOLY FUCK!

We managed to wrangle her into the kitchen and Sweeter batted IT off of her, we both thought that it was a huge ass spider, but when if flew off AT ME I freaked out even more. It was all slow-flying and dizzy like, so I hope it is dead now that we squirted it with water and made it fall. We can't find it in the foyer where it was squirted (and I wish I could find it so I could pull its wings and feelers off and make it hurt.)

We wrangled her again later to make sure that the stinger was out, and managed to find the swollen spot on her haunch but I didn't see a stinger sticking out so we let her go. She's now hiding in the closet and seems to be breathing so I'm going to leave her alone.
Poor girl!

message 38: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Poor Marla!

message 39: by Sally, la reina (new)

Update: Our other cat found the wasp stumbling along the living room floor. Sweeter squished it before I could torture it but I made him open the tissue up to see if I could find a stinger. If the stinger is bee colored and small, it had one still. If a stinger is huge and long and black then it didn't.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Poor Marla! So, not a regular bee, which can only sting once, and then dies. Must have been a wasp or a yellow jacket if it flew off, Sally. They don't leave their barbs behind.

message 41: by Sally, la reina (last edited Sep 13, 2009 07:42PM) (new)

They don't? So I don't have to worry about it still in her skin?

It was definitely a yellow jacket:
[image error]

message 42: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) No it should be fine. Just watch the for signs of infection.

Yellow jackets are nasty little creatures.

message 43: by Lori (new)

Lori Gah! Gah Poor Marla! It doesn't sound like she's allergic, but keep your eye on the spot to make sure it doesn't become huge, just in case.

message 44: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments My puppies eat those fuckers for lunch in our backyard. I hate them.

message 45: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (stephenT) Monsters with wings. Bad attitudes. No doubt of extraterrestrial origin.

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm sure they have some purpose in this world, but I hate Yellow Jackets. How is Marla today?

message 47: by Lori (new)

Lori I'm allergic to yellow jackets so I've become very aware of them - and they are mean! They sting for the pleasure of it.

message 48: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments jerks!

message 49: by Sally, la reina (new)

She seems to be completely healed. I'm going to stop worrying about her from now on. She's proven to me now TWICE that she'll be fine no matter what.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments And she still has seven lives left. :)

« previous 1 3 4 5