Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > School starts today/parking issues/Melissa needed a sweater for the first day of school.

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments School starts today for most of the southern part of the U.S. and many colleges/universities (including mine). The rest will all start within a week or two.

What do you remember about the first day of school? Did you like it? Hate it? Some of both?

I still like the first day of classes...although things have been spazzy around here lately, teaching is WAY better than meetings...

message 2: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) I was a nerd, so I always liked the first day of school. It meant cooler temperatures were coming, and getting new clothes (which for me only happened at the beginning of the school year and Christmas) and learning new things and, in high school, that I'd soon be involved in theater again.

What do you teach, RA?

message 3: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Nerd.

message 4: by Angie (new)

Angie (angabel) Ditto what Misha said. New clothes, something to do, and marching band!

I've always loved the first day of school, but I could never sleep the night before. I just love new school supplies and new notebooks and new teachers and new subjects. This is the first time I've not gone back to school in July/August since I was 5. I'm in that weird transition period where I'm not going back to school, but I don't have a Real Life job yet either, where summers don't really exist as they do for children and teachers.

I'm going back to my college tomorrow and I expect to experience some culture shock, seeing as how all 18,000 students will be back and it will be the largest group of white people I've been around in over a year.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I always loved shopping for school supplies, and that feeling that THIS YEAR I was going to get it all right, and keep on top of the studying. :)

message 6: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) I want to go back to school. The real world sucks.

message 7: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Jackie "the Librarian" wrote: "I always loved shopping for school supplies, and that feeling that THIS YEAR I was going to get it all right, and keep on top of the studying. :)"

As if you never did.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Misha wrote: "I want to go back to school. The real world sucks."

Amen to that.

message 9: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Not I. I abhorred school most of the time -- except when I went back as an adult and was serious about it.

message 10: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) Jim wrote: "Amen to that."

I'm working on it. I hope to be back in grad school this time next year.

message 11: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments hey RA, do you play the Alice Cooper song backwards on the first day of school?

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Good for you Misha - I'm looking at taking classes again, but in addition to work, not as a replacement.

message 13: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I teach people who want to be teachers, Misha...

Yes, Kevin, and I put on the makeup and leaped out of a storage closet with a snake around my neck to start the class:)

The students seem happy to be here, but they seem nervous, esp. the freshmen...gotta respect that...one poor woman came into my class and sat down but was in the wrong class...oops...

message 14: by Angie (new)

Angie (angabel) That was ALWAYS my fear. Ugh.

Which reminds me, today is the first day of class for my former student... her first day of class at a university, first day of class at a place where only English is spoken... I should give her a call and make sure she's okay.

message 15: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments don't know much about school so i have only mildly amusing comments (maybe not that even) on this thread. i barely graduated high school (PE/art/school newspaper major)but did manage to take a course at Huntington University a few years back on Cross Cultural Ministries that i thoroughly enjoyed. i would take a class or two locally if i could get hooked up with something i was really interested in

(sally is prob suggesting Grammar 101)

message 16: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I want to go back to school. I always loved the first day of classes.

message 17: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) That is an excellent vocation, RA, and I'm glad you're doing it. But I'm disappointed about the whole "not jumping out of the closet wearing a snake" thing. What is education coming to?

Jim, if I go back it would be a career change, so going full-time makes more sense to me. I've gone to school part-time while working full-time in the past anyway and it's grueling. I'd rather focus fully on one thing or the other than be too worn down to give proper attention to either, even if that means living in relative poverty for a couple of years. But good luck to you if you decide to pick up some classes!

message 18: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) That's good. That's really good.

message 19: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17320 comments Mod
I love the first day of school.

message 20: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments OKAY!!! LET'S STEER THIS CONVERSATION TO FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL -

TELL US ABOUT YOUR FIRST DAY TODAY!!!! Tell us, tell us, tell us!!!

message 21: by Melissa (last edited Aug 24, 2009 02:56PM) (new)

Melissa | 74 comments I was ten minutes late to my first class but I did find parking (score!), found out that my assignments aren't going to be too crazy this semester, and got out 20 min early. But the building felt like I was holding a glass of iced tea in Alaska in January in a bikini - then you go outside, and it is 99 degrees out today. Literally. WTF.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I remember that over-refrigeration of buildings back when I lived in Corpus, Melissa. I had to dress in layers to deal.

message 23: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 74 comments My professor said he needed a "shawl" - no. I am not kidding.

Yes the benefit is buying sweaters on clearance because I can wear them in August here. So sad.

message 24: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) When I started law school back in '97, I had contracts in a room that was so cold I had to wear gloves to take notes. Another room was always broiling. We later found out the thermostat in the second room was wired backwards, and so every time someone came along and turned it down to try to cool the place off, it just got hotter. Did I mention this was newly remodeled building? Yeah.

Good times.

message 25: by Angie (new)

Angie (angabel) I can't even stand to be in a store without a hoodie anymore, I can't imagine going back to those school buildings they kept super cold.

message 26: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments If I could I would be a professional student for the rest of my freaking life! I'd study all the stuff I wanted and none of the crazy &/or boring stuff that made my head ache something fierce. Art, archeology, philosophy, theater, quantum physics, theological history.... oh so many to choose from. *sigh* I miss school. :)

message 27: by Matthieu (new)

Matthieu | 1009 comments Quantum physics...

message 28: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I want to go back to school so badly.

message 29: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Wouldn't you rather do it well, SP?

message 30: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i just want school cafeteria food. the baked spaghetti at HHS was to die for. did anyone else's school have weird combo's of food they always served? like corn on taco day or peanut butter sandwiches and carrot sticks on chili day? and why did they put the grated carrots in the green jello?

message 31: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Thanks, Larry :)
I guess the first class I'll take will be Grammar 101. No more for me misplaced modifiers.

message 32: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Our cafeteria is pretty bad. Every semester I have high hopes and go on the first day, then I don't go again for a while. The only thing on which I can count is the pizza.

message 33: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments It's good to have something to count on. You should write a song about the pizza, RA.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.