Anglicans discussion

Anglican Books > Fall 09 reading ideas

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karen L. (new)

Karen L. I have made a spot to suggest ideas for a fall group read. I can make a poll out of the suggesstions and we can choose a book that way. What does everyone think about a fall read?

Michellebleakley | 4 comments Is anyone up to a little poetry? What about Gerard Manly Hopkins' "Pied Beauty" or T S Elliot's "Four Quartets" or "Journey of the Magi"?

message 3: by Karen L. (new)

Karen L. Hi Michele, yes,I am up to reading some poetry! I would love to try T.S.Elliot's "Four Quartets" I can't recollect how long the poem is? Could we break it up into 4 parts? Is each Quartet a part?

Is anyone else game for a poetry discussion?

Michelle, If we don't get anyone else, I'd still love to discuss and study that poem together. You are just the right person to help me understand Elliot better. I am so glad of your background in English studies. ☺

Michellebleakley | 4 comments Hey Karen, yes, the first of the Quartets will be great. I've never studied them before, but Eliot is a challenge, so I wanted backup.

message 5: by Greg (new)

Greg | 10 comments Hi Karen and Michelle,
I'd enjoy a discussion on the poetry also. I don't have a copy yet. When would you intend to start? Karen, I'd also like to suggest a short poem called "The Hound of Heaven" by Francis Thompsom. Actually, Jim and Father John and I discussed studying it in our adult ed. during Advent. The text is available on-line at many sources that can be googled or found in Windows search. It is maintained by many to be the most beautiful spiritual poem of all Christian literature - a little flowery and a challange in places to understand, but rewarding and inspiring. Greg

message 6: by Karen L. (new)

Karen L. Hi Greg,

We could wait for you to get a library copy of the book before we start the discussion? I once googled The Four Quartets and found it online. Try googling it and see if you find it.

Michellebleakley | 4 comments H ave to pick it up at the library, too. I can't find my copy anywhere! Time to reorganize the books.

Michellebleakley | 4 comments "ave"--I think I'm writing cockney!

message 9: by Greg (new)

Greg | 10 comments Michellebleakley wrote: "H ave to pick it up at the library, too. I can't find my copy anywhere! Time to reorganize the books."

Karen L. wrote: "Hi Greg,

We could wait for you to get a library copy of the book before we start the discussion? I once googled The Four Quartets and found it online. Try googling it and see if you find it."

Karen L. wrote: "Hi Greg,

We could wait for you to get a library copy of the book before we start the discussion? I once googled The Four Quartets and found it online. Try googling it and see if you find it."

message 10: by Greg (new)

Greg | 10 comments I found it on-line and made a copy.
Greg

message 11: by Skylar (new)

Skylar Burris (skylarburris) | 134 comments I'm up for the Four Quartets, although it is not my favorite T.S. Eliot. (The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufcock is.) It's been a long time since I read it, however, and would be pleased to gain some more mature insight...besides, I was a Baptist back then and probably didn't get it...LOL.

message 12: by Karen L. (new)

Karen L. Hi Skylar, great. I guess if anyone already has a copy of the poems and wants to start the first section, they could start a new thread and begin. Though there is no hurry. This is all total leisurely fun discussion.

message 13: by Greg (new)

Greg | 10 comments Karen, what is a "thred" I am a dinosour re the web and this kind of communication and am litterally flying blind. Messages show up in my in box mysteriously and I click on the address in them but I really don't know what I am doing and what all the bells and whisles are about.

message 14: by Karen L. (new)

Karen L. Hi Greg,

No problem, ask any questions you like. A "thread" is I suppose just a word for starting a discussion or topic.
I will start a "thread" for the group discussion of "The Four Quartets," so that you can see how this works. You will probably get an email telling you there is a new discussion from the goodreads.com Anglican group. You can click on the link from that email and it will take you right to the new "thread" or topic. Anytime you go to the "Anglican Group," I think any new posts or conversations have "new" in red letters.