SA Book & Challenge Lovers discussion

Other Discussions & Chats > Christine Feehan

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Denell (new)

Denell | 74 comments Hi,

Has anybody had the misfortune in reading a book by this author? Would really like to hear your opinion. I just read a few lines and it was bad...really bad.
Cant understand how she sells her books!

message 2: by Ilse (last edited Aug 24, 2009 04:10AM) (new)

Ilse Snell Hi Denell...*sniggers*... Feehan...what can i say.
i did have the misfortune of being exposed to the Feehan terror. Twice.
It was so horrible, i recommend you reading a book, just so that you know, just so that you are aware of how BAD she really is....
In fact, her Carpathian novels can be used as weapons of mass destruction.

message 3: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Never heard of her, but i just looked at some of her books. The ratings of her books are really good lol?

message 4: by Ilse (new)

Ilse Snell lol!
dont let the ratings fool you Lu...
i fell into the same trap.
Still dont know what the hell i was thinking buying her books... but at least after the initial stage of annoyance... it just gets down right hilarious.
and for a PNR book, thats not a good thing...

message 5: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Is it grammar issues?
Or general mistakes?
Or characters names that change mid book? (Yes good old Sookie Stackhouse's editor was confused :P)

message 6: by Ilse (new)

Ilse Snell Feehan ,feehan, feehan... tsk tsk tsk...
I just don’t understand why she's a PNR fav!
The plot of the Carpathian novels is ok. But she just cant articulate herself properly.
She makes few grammar errors, but when one slips through it catches your eye... and you're unable to look pass it. Also, the incessant name calling...."little one" "little read hair" these are grown women we're talking about.... and all the characters has the same characteristics.... aside from the fact that the women give "damsels in distress" a bad name.... they keep on claiming to be independent and self sufficing, when ... clearly, it's not the case. And the repetition!! Talk about excessive and redundant! she constantly, constantly describes her characters... so by page 250 if you haven’t paid attention the first 50 times... she'll tell you again of how green the person's eyes are... or how tiny her ribcage is. Who says that? Who says "a tiny ribcage" a tiny waist yes... but ribcage? *plegh* and she doesn’t posses the ability to construct fluidity to her sentences... everything (EVERYthing)is written in short compact compositions. Which might be great... if kept to the minimal. But Feehan had to go swim freaken upstream and over kill! That’s to name just a few annoying traits that Feehan displays. And for the love of Zeus, someone needs to hand that woman a "do it yourself - expand your vocab" book... cause there is only so many ways in which something can be described as "white - hot" or "velvet sheath"...or my all time fav "black magic velvet voice"... can someone please explain to me what Black Magic velvet sounds like?
With regards to the sensual scenes...Don’t get me started... I will tactfully avoid all mention of how you don’t even realize they're doing it... until halfway through...
*sniggers* ... while reading her books I had the unnerving tendency to stare aimlessly out the window...picturing how someone looks when they (and i quote) "retreat into the shadows with a vengeful hiss of retaliation". THAT had me laughing out loud till my tummy ached... all I could picture was old Hollywood Dracula swinging his cape and hissing while he disappears.
Anyway, now that I’ve vented a bit... I feel much better...
I think you should try her Carpathian novels though...
Maybe you'll like it... who knows... some people swear by her... they say she grows on you like moss.
(bearing in mind that moss only grows on stationary objects)

message 7: by Lu (last edited Aug 25, 2009 07:03AM) (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Hahahahahah i'm crying as i read that!!
You should write a book where you bash authors, i would buy it!
Damn brilliant!
That just made my day :)

message 8: by Ilse (new)

Ilse Snell *grin*
Well, before Feehan-lovers gang up on me and throw me off my author-bashing pedestal...
I feel it's my civil duty to warn fellow readers of the menace that is known as Feehan.

message 9: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Consider me warned :)

message 10: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments I havent read Feehan, but she does come highly recommended as you say. I do have her e-books downlaoded and she was on my "to read list". It just goes to show you that everyone's tastes in books is different. The other author that came recommended and who disappointed was Sherilyn Kenyon. The story was absolutely ridiculous. You have a so called sex therapist who plays the lead character and she guess what "hasnt had sex for 4 yrs!! and has never had a satisfying sexual experience...I think if she were my therapist I would want my money back. Her best friend just happens to know ancient greek. It was so far fetched It was embarassing. I hoped this would be the beginning of a series I would read, but I'll wait for the next book by Charlaine Harris, Nora Roberts writing as J.D. Robb, Janet Evanovich, and Diana Gabaldon. I recommend skipping Kenyon and trying one of these excellent writers. and before anyone jumps on me, I did actually try the second book which was just as cringeworthy. I cannot for the life of me understand why her books are so highly rated! I could actually feel my IQ evaporating as I read this book. Save your money and your time, maybe go watch the grass grow or paint dry, something more worthwhile than this rubbish.

message 11: by Chrizette (new)

Chrizette | 906 comments I am really starting to doubt myself . . . Kenyon and now Feeham . . . I love them both! (hie-hie) - read almost all of the Ghost Walker series.

message 12: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Lol we all have our own tastes :) I know people couldn't get into Pillars of the Earth, where i thought it was amazing!

Then there is my Harry Potter addiction (i know, i know :P)

But yea i really need to get to Kenyon and Feehan, so i can give my opinion as well :P