Fans of Interracial Romance discussion

Archived Threads > Academic Paper on Interracial Romance coming up

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

CaliGirlRae (rae_l) | 2002 comments Mod
I just got the go ahead to write and submit an academic paper on interracial romance and the impact of how it fits in a cultural and societal text for contemporary times. I'm allowed to go into the double digits with this paper so I have no idea how big this baby will be. I have tons of ideas I'm going to be formulating and I'm going to be living on Goodreads to find some books to research to tie into the first IR and on down throughout history. I already found a ton and I think the first IR romance recorded was Ramona by Helen Hunt Jackson but I'm still digging.

This will be a heavy duty but fun exercise (and a brush up on my term paper skills woo hoo) but it'll surely be enlightening. I just thought I'd share the good news and hopefully I'll be following up with a note for when and where it'll be published. :-)

Let the fun begin! :-D

message 2: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 7311 comments Mod
WOW. That is so cool, Rae. Congratulations. Sounds like ground-breaking work. I'm excited for you. We're here for you if need some resources.

message 3: by Arch , Mod (new)

Arch  | 6570 comments Mod
I'm so happy for your Rae. Roar in your paper. Let them know how important interracial romance is.

message 4: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Huxford (blackpanthershay) | 970 comments Wow Rae, that is good news!
What are you studying? or are you the Professor?

message 5: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

Thanks guys! I'll definitely post any q's I may have because you guys may have some insight some history tidbits or books I can check out. :-D

I'll try my best to show popular it is now. And how important indeed.

Sharon, it's actually for a new organization that's just opened for their journal that focuses on academic papers studying romance lit. I'm a psychology nut (going to be going back to school to study it for my masters soon) and the idea came to me when I saw they were looking for subs, but didn't have anything about IR. I thought it'd be a great way to start to help to get the word out about the subgenre and show how it's a necessary part of romance. Even now. :-)

message 6: by Arch , Mod (new)

I love Psychology. I wanted to be a Psychologist.

message 7: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Huxford (blackpanthershay) | 970 comments I love it as well when I was young I wanted to be a Psychologist or Psychiatrist at that time I didn't know there was a difference. I just wanted to counsel people

message 8: by Arch , Mod (new)

Sharon, I wanted to be a Psychiatrist at one time as well.

I have a gift of being a good listener.

I'm glad that Rae is getting the chance to stand up for interracial romance.

message 9: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (last edited Aug 24, 2009 12:35PM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 7311 comments Mod
Maya I do believe that reading has opened my mind to the differences in the world and encouraged me to want to understand others and what they are going through. So maybe so.

message 10: by new_user (new)

new_user That's awesome, Rae! Be sure to give us the info so we can check out that article! A journal about romance lit, that should be fun.

message 11: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

Thanks guys! I'll definitely let you guys know what happens and the progress and stuff.

That's a good point, Maya. I agree with Danielle that there probably is a correlation between reading and empathy. Perhaps more so between writing and empathy because writer's are very much tapped into emotions and the human mind. I love that there's a lot of love for psychology here. It's definitely an interesting study.