Play Book Tag discussion

A Darker Shade of Magic (Shades of Magic, #1)
This topic is about A Darker Shade of Magic
May 2019: Beautiful > A Darker Shade of Magic - V.E. Schwab (3 1/2 stars)

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cora (last edited May 02, 2019 08:16AM) (new) - added it

Cora (corareading) | 667 comments A Darker Shade of Magic - V.E. Schwab

3 1/2 stars

A Darker Shade of Magic is a fantasy novel where there are alternate versions of London that someone with magic can travel between. Each of these London's is identified as a color by the main character. For example, our London, which does not have magic, is called Gray London. In the book, there are evil doers that want to take over all the worlds and evil magic that wants to as well and the heroes have to stop them.

I liked this book. The worlds were interesting and unique and I really liked the characters. The story kept my attention, but it did not seem as deep as I would have liked. The evil characters are very evil and the good characters are mostly very good. It seemed to check all the boxes for a fun fantasy adventure but did not go beyond that. I will definitely continue the series as I found it a fun read, I just thought it could have been a lot more.

Note about the beautiful tag: 12 people tagged it beautiful, 33 people tagged it as beautiful writing, and 81 people tagged it as a beautiful cover. I am not sure that I would describe the writing as beautiful and while I really like the cover, beautiful is not the word I would have used to describe it. Nevertheless, other people found the beauty in it.

Joanne (Joabroda1) | 2502 comments I finished this series up early in this year-All three books got 4 stars from me. As you move on into the series, it gets a bit darker and by the ending I was satisfied how everything was wrapped up. It did take me a while to finish the last book, I think it could have been pared down a little. But like I said, questions were answered and all wrapped up well for me.

Hebah (quietdissident) | 332 comments Mmhmm. This was around a three-star read for me too. One of those books that has all the hype, and while I thought it was a competent story, I didn't quite see the fuss about it either. It's on my "I'll probably get around to finishing the series" list, but not high priority.

(I was also listening to it in audio, and the reader made Lila's voice a little too strident and cocky, which is probably part of why I didn't like her as much as I would have liked.)

message 4: by NancyJ (last edited May 02, 2019 02:43PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

NancyJ (NancyJJJ) | 1195 comments Cora wrote: "A Darker Shade of Magic - V.E. Schwab

3 1/2 stars

A Darker Shade of Magic is a fantasy novel where there are alternate versions of London that someone with magic can travel between. Each of these..."

I read this for a book club a few years ago, and my reaction was very similar to yours. I liked it, but I felt like there was something missing, and figured I might find it in the next book in the series. So far I haven't been curious enough to continue with the series.

The descriptions of at least one world were very evocative and atmospheric, so I can understand why some people found it beautiful. I remember there was something cool about his coat. It reminded me of Hermione's bag in one of the Harry Potter books.

message 5: by Cora (new) - added it

Cora (corareading) | 667 comments NancyJ wrote: "Cora wrote: "A Darker Shade of Magic - V.E. Schwab

3 1/2 stars

A Darker Shade of Magic is a fantasy novel where there are alternate versions of London that someone with magic can travel between. ..."

The coat was great. I do think this would make a good movie.

Nayana Agrawal (thornesrule) | 6 comments Very interesting, maybe I'll give this a reread. The first time I tried I couldn't get past the first five pages because the female protagonist annoyed me too much by being cliche, but maybe I need to give it another chance.

Moke | 44 comments I enjoyed this too. And, have book 2 in my queue. I listened to the audiobook and thought the narrator was very good.