Wild Things: YA Grown-Up discussion

Multicultural Fiction > The Fold - by An Na

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily (new)

Emily | 25 comments I would wholeheartedly recommend this book. The Fold by An Na is about a Korean American high school girl whose aunt offers to pay for eyelid surgery, to make her eyes appear more attractive and western. Na deals with heavy themes of beauty, community, and acceptance along several lines with deftness and humor. Has anyone else read it?

message 2: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I have not read or even heard of this before now, but I remember seeing something on some talk show about how Asian women are having surgery to become more "Americanized" and I think that's sad.

People should be proud of who they are, and the fashion and entertainment industry should really be more responsible when portraying beauty... The standard is impossible to meet for so very many people so they resort to drastic measure that are completely unhealthy. I hope that one day we will move past that.

But I doubt that will ever happen.

message 3: by Emily (new)

Emily | 25 comments Becky,

A big part of why I enjoyed this book was because of how well the author navigated the fact that cosmetic surgery is a personal choice made for a variety of both personal and cultural/societal reasons. Na does not come out against cosmetic surgery, though I think it is clear it is not a choice she would make for herself. It's not preachy; she's not trying to tell girls what to do, but she is making a case for looking before you leap and examining your options and reasons for altering your appearance.

Also, you might like this index card: http://thisisindexed.com/2009/08/true...

message 4: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Sounds very interesting Emily, and I'm happy that Na did not come off as preachy. I will have to look into this book one of these days.

Thanks for sharing the card too. Funny how something so simple can represent the truth so accurately.

message 5: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments I have had this on my list since it came out, and still have yet to read it! I really need to go through my list and prioritize.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Fold (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

An Na (other topics)