Diversity in All Forms! discussion

The Joy Luck Club
This topic is about The Joy Luck Club
Author's Pick > The Joy Luck Club (May 2019)

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mariah Roze (new) - added it

Mariah Roze (MariahRoze) | 915 comments Mod
Author's Pick: The Joy Luck Club by: Tan, Amy

aPriL does feral sometimes  (CheshireScratch) | 259 comments Fantastic book! I think it is Tan's best.

Jonetta (Ejaygirl) | 14 comments I read this so many years ago and remember some of it. I do recall loving it, too. It was my first realistic exposure to Asian culture.

Maya B | 33 comments I loved the movie and the book. I read it a long time ago. I look forward to reading the discussion

message 5: by Mariah Roze (new) - added it

Mariah Roze (MariahRoze) | 915 comments Mod
Maya wrote: "I loved the movie and the book. I read it a long time ago. I look forward to reading the discussion"

There is a movie??

kari | 3 comments There is a very good movie of this book. The book is better(aren't they always?) but the movie is very good.
Love this book. One of my favorites.

Gisela Hafezparast | 30 comments I was a bit disappointed when I read this book. Would have wanted to know so much more about the characters, their history and much more historical details. Nevertheless, a good read.

Has anybody ready any other Amy Tan books, which they can recommend?

Sarah Rigg | 41 comments Gisela wrote: "I was a bit disappointed when I read this book. Would have wanted to know so much more about the characters, their history and much more historical details. Nevertheless, a good read.

Has anybody ..."

I like everything I've read by Amy Tan, but once you read more than one, you'll see how the same themes show up over and over, particularly about mother/daughter relationships, and how Tan mines her own family history for her books.

I think my favorite was probably "The Kitchen God's Wife," but I also liked "Saving Fish From Drowning" because she DID depart from her usual themes a bit in the latter one.

aPriL does feral sometimes  (CheshireScratch) | 259 comments Gisela wrote: "I was a bit disappointed when I read this book. Would have wanted to know so much more about the characters, their history and much more historical details. Nevertheless, a good read.

Has anybody ..."

I also think, like Sarah, the novels by Tan are mostly the same book written with slight differences of character and plot.

Gisela Hafezparast | 30 comments Thanks Sarah and aPril, I'll have a look.